No JT9 signals?

  • Bill Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
      Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
      three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
      JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
      +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
      answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.

      Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?

      73, Bill W6WRT
    • Bill Turner
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
        ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

        On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:09:09 -0400, Andy wrote:

        >What band ?
        >
        >Andy

        REPLY:

        40, 30, 20, 15.

        73, Bill W6WRT
      • Andrew O'Brien
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
          What frequency shows at the bottom of the waterfall as the point where JT9 decodes begin ?  What bandwidth filter setting do you have for receive on your rig ?   I have a 4.4 Khz receive filter .

          Andy K3UK

          On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

          ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

          On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:09:09 -0400, Andy wrote:

          >What band ?
          >
          >Andy

          REPLY:

          40, 30, 20, 15.

          73, Bill W6WRT

        • Bill Turner
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

            On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:26:34 -0400, K3UK wrote:

            >What frequency shows at the bottom of the waterfall as the point where JT9
            >decodes begin ? What bandwidth filter setting do you have for receive on
            >your rig ? I have a 4.4 Khz receive filter .
            >
            >Andy K3UK

            REPLY:

            Do you mean the JT65 2500 JT9 box? That's what it says.

            I have my RX filter set to 3.6k in my IC-7600. Right now I am seeing a few
            signals in the JT65 band but nothing in the JT9 band.

            On both bands the white noise looks the same, tapering off at 3.6k just as
            you would expect. It seems that there is just no JT9 activity, assuming I am
            listening in the right place - 2kHz up from the JT65 band.

            73, Bill W6WRT
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

              It seems to me that JT9 activity HAS dropped notably over the past couple days.

              Ed   K7AAT

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

                On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:03:59 -0700 (PDT), K2DOG wrote:

                >On a quiet frequency or without any received signal, set the slider to peak at 20db max and then see what happends.
                >

                >      KK2DOG

                REPLY:

                I have had it set to 30 dB, dropping down to 20 dB doesn't seem to make a
                difference. The white noise is about the same.

                73, Bill W6WRT
              • Andrew O'Brien
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                  I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two or three minutes

                  I have WSJT-X set as 2500Hz for the dividing line,

                  1756  -5  1.1 3515 @ WS4WW VO1OR RRR

                  1759 -18  2.0 3553 @ UN7TK CT1FBK IM58

                  Andy K3UK

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                    ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

                    On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:26:34 -0400, K3UK wrote:

                    >What frequency shows at the bottom of the waterfall as the point where JT9
                    >decodes begin ? What bandwidth filter setting do you have for receive on
                    >your rig ? I have a 4.4 Khz receive filter .
                    >
                    >Andy K3UK

                    REPLY:

                    Do you mean the JT65 2500 JT9 box? Bandwidth is 3.6k on the IC-7600.

                    I'm seeing the normal white noise on the waterfall, just no signals. The
                    white noise tapers down at 3.6k, just as one would expect.

                    73, Bill W6WRT
                  • Bill Turner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

                      On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

                      >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
                      >or three minutes

                      REPLY:

                      I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

                      I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

                      Thanks for the help everyone.

                      73, Bill W6WRT
                    • Ed Wilson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Bill,

                        I think that you will find that nearly all JT9 activity is on 20 meters these days, especially during the daylight hours.

                        Ed, K0KC

                        On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

                        >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
                        >or three minutes

                        REPLY:

                        I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

                        I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

                        Thanks for the help everyone.

                        73, Bill W6WRT

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                          I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.

                          I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.

                          Dan
                          KJ6RGX

                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

                          > Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
                          > three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
                          > JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
                          > +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
                          > answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
                          >
                          > Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
                          >
                          > 73, Bill W6WRT

                        • Joe Subich, W4TV
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                            As explained in the User Guide for wSJT-X v 1.1 and previously in
                            this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/message/10876

                            > In simple terms, if your transceiver's receive filter is limited to
                            > approximately 2.5 KHz of bandwidth (a conventional SSB filter), you
                            > may want to focus on one mode or the other rather than employ broadband
                            > (dual mode) detection. In that case, is is appropriate to disable
                            > "Split TX" in the configuration (F2) dialog and set the transceiver
                            > to xx.076 (normal "default" frequencies) for JT65A and tick the +2 KHz
                            > box (adjusting the default up 2 KHz to xx.078) for JT9.
                            >
                            > Those with Kenwood transceivers, the Elecraft K3 with FM or AM roofing
                            > filter, or SDR transceivers capable of arbitrary receive bandwidth need
                            > not be concerned with +2 KHz as they can decode the full 4 KHz or more
                            > at one time (and utilize "Split TX" for transmit).

                            73,

                            ... Joe, W4TV

                            On 7/21/2013 4:16 PM, Dan wrote:
                            > I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.
                            >
                            > I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.
                            >
                            > Dan
                            > KJ6RGX
                            >
                            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
                            >> three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
                            >> JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
                            >> +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
                            >> answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
                            >>
                            >> Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
                            >>
                            >> 73, Bill W6WRT

                          • Andrew O'Brien
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                              Bill, LOTS of JT9 here on 20M.  six signals at once!

                              Andy K3UK

                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                                Ah, ok, makes perfect sense. I use a Kenwood so never had to use this feature. Thanks for the explanation.

                                Dan
                                KJ6RGX