WSJT-X feature request

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013

      Would it be possible / feasible / easy  to add a check box similar to the  “enable PSK Reporter”  check box that would automatically bring up JTAlert ( if it’s installed on the computer) ?    Maybe I’m just lazy but since I always run JTAlert with WSJT-X this seems like a usable feature.

      Ed   K7AAT

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 20, 2013

        HAH!    Great !   Guess I was doing it backwards.  I always started WSJT-X before JTAlert.    I found that feature in JTAlert settings.  Will do it that way.  Thanks.

        No need for this new feature then.

        Ed   K7AAT

        JT Alert will start WSJT and anything else you want.

        ve3bdr

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2014
          Would it be possible in order to reduce the numbers of accidental spots being reported via PSKreporter or HamSpots when using WSJT-X with JT65/JT9 that when a user changes band from the drop down list, the software:

          1. Stops the Monitor
          2. Erases the Band activity

          That would prevent a decode of all stations heard on one band 'part way through the 50 second' TX period from being later spotted wrongly on the new band that the operator had changed to.

          It still won't stop all wrong spots, but would reduce some of the accidental instances.

          Currently I manually do the above two steps when I change bands.

          73 de Philip G0ISW

        • chas cartmel
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2014

            Philip / Joe

            Would it not be easier to inhibit the sending of data to psk reporter if the band is changed during a receive cycle?

            73

            Charlie

            www.G4EST.me.uk

            Would it be possible in order to reduce the numbers of accidental spots being reported via PSKreporter or HamSpots when using WSJT-X with JT65/JT9 that when a user changes band from the drop down list, the software:

            1. Stops the Monitor

            2. Erases the Band activity

            That would prevent a decode of all stations heard on one band 'part way through the 50 second' TX period from being later spotted wrongly on the new band that the operator had changed to.

            It still won't stop all wrong spots, but would reduce some of the accidental instances.

            Currently I manually do the above two steps when I change bands.

            73 de Philip G0ISW

          • Edson W. R. Pereira

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2014
                Please coordinate with Laurie VK3AMA - I believe he is using info from
                the decode log. If so, the only way to prevent the incorrect spots is
                to flush the decodes and not write to the log when changing bands (or
                possibly inhibit decoding in the minute with a band change).

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

                On 1/17/2014 10:00 AM, Edson W. R. Pereira wrote:
                > The data to be sent to PSKReporter is queued and the spots are uploaded
                > every 5 minutes. One possibility is to clear the queue when the band is
                > changed. I will take a look at the code and see if there are better ways to
                > prevent wrong spots from being sent.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > -- Edson PY2SDR
                >

                > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM, chas cartmel <chas@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Philip / Joe
                >>
                >> Would it not be easier to inhibit the sending of data to psk reporter if
                >> the band is changed during a receive cycle?
                >>

                >> 73
                >>
                >> Charlie
                >>
                >> www.G4EST.me.uk

              • Laurie, VK3AMA

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 15, 2014
                    Please consider an option to allow the Wide Graph window to dock with WSJT-X.

                    73 de Sebastian, W4AS
                  • Laurie, VK3AMA
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 15, 2014
                      On 16/11/2014 7:20 AM, Sebastian w4as@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                      Please consider an option to allow the Wide Graph window to dock with WSJT-X.

                      73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                      Sebastian,
                       JTAlertX 2.5.0 has an option to have the WSJT-X waterfall follow the main WSJT-X window when it is minimzed and restored. Applications -> WSJT-X section of the JTAlertX Settings. Not exactly what you want, which I aggree is needed, but may help.

                      de Laurie VK3AMA

                    • Thomas W4HM
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16, 2014
                        Yes please I second W4AS's request to allow the wide graph window to dock
                        with the decode window. I find it a major inconvenience to my operating
                        style. Thanks much.

                        73 & GUD DX,
                        Thomas F. Giella W4HM
                        Lakeland, FL, USA
                        thomasfgiella@...

                        BARTG #8531

                        W4HM Amateur Radio & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org

                        WSJT-X feature request Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 pm (PST) . Posted by:
                        "Sebastian" w4as@... Please consider an option to allow the Wide
                        Graph window to dock with WSJT-X.

                        73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                        ---
                      • gary.k7ek
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 15, 2016

                          I've been fighting a problem for months and have all but given up. It involves a problem in KVASD.EXE. A popup indicating that KVASD.EXE has stopped working due to an error. Windows will now close the program and check for a solution. And the popup waits for me to click OK. And the following appears in the RX Window:

                          Error in KV decoder, or no KV decoder present. -1073741819

                          When the KVASD error pops up, which is often, WSJT-X stops receiving until the pop up error window is cleared. This is a show stopper for me as I wish to leave WSJT-X on 24/7 to post heard signals to PSK Reporter and hamspots.net, etc. I've tried various ideas as suggested by some on this list. Nothing works. I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium and am unable to update to Windows 7 or higher at this time.

                          What I'd like to propose is that some error trapping be included in future versions of WSJT-X that will allow decoding to continue despite that there may be a KVASD error. It should be simple to program WSJT-X to revert back to the built in decoder if KVASD crashes or errors out in some way instead of hanging the program. Also, I'd like to see a user check box in SETTINGS to allow the user to positively enable or disable KVASD.

                          I've tried reinstalling WSJT-X multiple times with and without KVASD but no matter what, the same error reappears. I've followed a myriad of suggestions but nothing seems to work...

                          WSJT-X is run as Administrator.

                          Exceptions are included in Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

                          I've even tried running KVASD.EXE in Windows XP Service Pack II compatibility mode.

                          WSJT-X is NOT installed in C:\programs or C:\programs (x86) but is instead installed in C:\WSJT\wsjtx\.

                          I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, sometimes selecting use of KVASD.EXE and sometimes without. Same results every time.

                          Thanks for reading...

                          Best regards,

                          Gary, K7EK

                        • KI7MT
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 15, 2016
                            Hi Gary,

                            What Windows Version are you running?

                            I had a similar problem on Vista 64 where I was never able to determine
                            the root cause. The problem was present on a new Windows install as well.

                            In the end, I just upgraded to Win-10 to get away from Vista permanently.

                            The good news is, v1.7 (when it gets released) no longer needs KVASD nor
                            does WSJT.

                            73's
                            Greg, KI7MT

                            On 05/15/2016 07:56 AM, gary.k7ek@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                            > I've been fighting a problem for months and have all but given up. It involves a problem in KVASD.EXE. A popup indicating that KVASD.EXE has stopped working due to an error. Windows will now close the program and check for a solution. And the popup waits for me to click OK. And the following appears in the RX Window:
                            >
                            > Error in KV decoder, or no KV decoder present. -1073741819
                            >

                            > When the KVASD error pops up, which is often, WSJT-X stops receiving until the pop up error window is cleared. This is a show stopper for me as I wish to leave WSJT-X on 24/7 to post heard signals to PSK Reporter and hamspots.net, etc. I've tried various ideas as suggested by some on this list. Nothing works. I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium and am unable to update to Windows 7 or higher at this time.
                            >

                            > What I'd like to propose is that some error trapping be included in future versions of WSJT-X that will allow decoding to continue despite that there may be a KVASD error. It should be simple to program WSJT-X to revert back to the built in decoder if KVASD crashes or errors out in some way instead of hanging the program. Also, I'd like to see a user check box in SETTINGS to allow the user to positively enable or disable KVASD.
                            >

                            > I've tried reinstalling WSJT-X multiple times with and without KVASD but no matter what, the same error reappears. I've followed a myriad of suggestions but nothing seems to work...
                            >

                            > WSJT-X is run as Administrator.
                            >

                            > Exceptions are included in Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
                            >

                            > I've even tried running KVASD.EXE in Windows XP Service Pack II compatibility mode.
                            >

                            > WSJT-X is NOT installed in C:\programs or C:\programs (x86) but is instead installed in C:\WSJT\wsjtx\.
                            >

                            > I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, sometimes selecting use of KVASD.EXE and sometimes without. Same results every time.
                            >

                            > Thanks for reading...
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            >

                            > Gary, K7EK
                          • gary.k7ek
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15, 2016
                              Hello Greg,

                              Thanks for your quick response. Sadly I am running Windows Vista 64. I guess I'm stuck until I can get a copy of WSJT-X v1.7. That's good news about the new version not relying on KVASD. Thanks for that. At least there's hope. I may eventually move my efforts to one of my several Debian Linux boxes in the future.  Fighting with Vista has become tiring. What's interesting is that I never seemed to have the KVASD problem with earlier versions of WSJT-X on the same computer. Then a few months ago it started popping up with regularity. Something changed.

                              Interestingly I attempted to compile the WSJT-X package with JTSDK. It failed due to various quirks in Vista. I tried the PY compile and Vista balked, saying one of the Python DLL's was not found when it was actually present.

                              I'd be interested in the possibility of alpha or beta testing advance copies of WSJT-X. I have read about v1.7 several times and find it to be very compelling.  Not sure how one goes about joining the testing group or if it's even possible. Anyway, thanks for your hard work. I'm sure everyone will greatly benefit from it. I anxiously await the availability of WSJT-X v1.7.

                              Best regards,

                              Gary, K7EK

                              I had a similar problem on Vista 64 where I was never able to determine
                              the root cause. The problem was present on a new Windows install as well.

                              In the end, I just upgraded to Win-10 to get away from Vista permanently.

                              The good news is, v1.7 (when it gets released) no longer needs KVASD nor
                              does WSJT.

                              73's
                              Greg, KI7MT

                              On 05/15/2016 07:56 AM, gary.k7ek@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
                              > I've been fighting a problem for months and have all but given up. It involves a problem in KVASD.EXE. A popup indicating that KVASD.EXE has stopped working due to an error. Windows will now close the program and check for a solution. And the popup waits for me to click OK. And the following appears in the RX Window:

                              > Error in KV decoder, or no KV decoder present. -1073741819

                              >  When the KVASD error pops up, which is often, WSJT-X stops receiving until the pop up error window is cleared. This is a show stopper for me as I wish to leave WSJT-X on 24/7 to post heard signals to PSK Reporter and hamspots.net, etc. I've tried various ideas as suggested by some on this list. Nothing works. I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium and am unable to update to Windows 7 or higher at this time.

                              >  What I'd like to propose is that some error trapping be included in future versions of WSJT-X that will allow decoding to continue despite that there may be a KVASD error. It should be simple to program WSJT-X to revert back to the built in decoder if KVASD crashes or errors out in some way instead of hanging the program. Also, I'd like to see a user check box in SETTINGS to allow the user to positively enable or disable KVASD.

                              >  I've tried reinstalling WSJT-X multiple times with and without KVASD but no matter what, the same error reappears. I've followed a myriad of suggestions but nothing seems to work...

                              >  WSJT-X is run as Administrator.

                              >  Exceptions are included in Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

                              >  I've even tried running KVASD.EXE in Windows XP Service Pack II compatibility mode.

                              >  WSJT-X is NOT installed in C:\programs or C:\programs (x86) but is instead installed in C:\WSJT\wsjtx\.

                              >  I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, sometimes selecting use of KVASD.EXE and sometimes without. Same results every time.
                              >

                              >  Thanks for reading...

                              >  Best regards,

                              >  Gary, K7EK
                            • Greg Beam
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 15, 2016
                                Hi Gary,

                                Before I upgraded to Win-10, I was able to build all the apps JTSDK is
                                capable of building. You should be able to get it up and running.

                                You can email me off-line if you like and I'm sure we can get JTSDK
                                running on your Vista machine. Let me know what steps were taken to
                                install JTSDK and what the failures were.

                                73's
                                Greg, KI7MT

                              • R. Chastain
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 13, 2016
                                  Hi all,

                                  I'm a noob to WSJT-X but find it VERY interesting!

                                  One feature I would like to suggest though......

                                  With the availability and low cost of the RTL-SDR receivers out there, it would be nice if the program could control them as it does with other full blown SDR's like the FLEX series. Particularly the frequency hopping feature would make these simple receivers very useful and attractive as multiband RX only stations to add to the network. I have been running mine overnight with SDR# and VBcable and it works great!

                                  If this feature is added, it needs an option to select the "Q" branch for "direct sampling"

                                  Thanks,
                                  KD0XX (Rod)
                                • k3wyc
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 13, 2016
                                    Rod,

                                    HDSDR interfaces with RTL SDRs and can be configured for OmniRig.  WSJT-X can also be configured to interface with OmniRig.   I would expect that you can control an RTL SDR with the interfacing capabilities that already exist.  Output of HDSDR could be routed to WSJT-X with a Virtual Audio cable (VAC).

                                    Have you considered these options and found they didn't work for you.

                                    73,
                                    Andy k3wyc
                                  • g4wjs
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 17, 2016
                                      Hi Rod,

                                      WSJT-X requires conventional base band audio streams.

                                      As mentioned in the other post, using SDR software to demodulate the I/Q output to base band USB audio is a simple route to using these bare bones digital transceivers with WSJT-X. It also gives you rig control allowing WSJT-X to set the frequency. HDSDR is supported in WSJT-X by selecting the Kenwood TS-2000 rig in "Settings->Radio" and I believe HDSDR provides a virtual COM port for CAT control.

                                      73
                                      Bill
                                      G4WJS.