WSJT-X 1.1 v3487 / K3 Set Up Questions

  • kc2nyu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
      I have just installed the FM 13Khz filter in my K3 to take full advantage of the dual Mode capability of 1.1 v3487. Have what probably are a couple of dumb questions on filter setup in the K3:
      - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is that correct for this application?
      - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3 slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500. Is that the way it should be?

      73 Paul
      kc2nyu
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
        > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is
        > that correct for this application?

        My Hi/Lo is 0.20/4.20 - that will provide much better results in the
        JT9 area of activity.

        > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3
        > slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The
        > Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500.

        The blank waterfall is probably due to Zero = -3 (mine is 0) and/or
        RX NOISE: in the main window (status bar) less than 25 to 30. Slope
        is a little high in my experience - mine is 0.3 and on a quiet band
        (no signals) the noise floor is flat at the second line from the
        bottom of the spectrum display from 400 Hz to 4000 Hz with a rounded
        "edge" from 200 Hz to 400 Hz (the K3's fixed 200 Hz cutoff).

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 7/17/2013 3:24 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
        > I have just installed the FM 13Khz filter in my K3 to take full advantage of the dual Mode capability of 1.1 v3487. Have what probably are a couple of dumb questions on filter setup in the K3:
        > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is that correct for this application?
        > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3 slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500. Is that the way it should be?
        >
        > 73 Paul
        > kc2nyu

      • Sam Morgan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
          Using the K3 Utility, did you set up the K3 Crystal Filter Configuration to Data
          Enable: for the FM filter that you just installed? This is only for RX, the Data
          TX uses the 2.7/2.8 filter

          http://www.ke7x.com/home/guide-to-the-k3/chapter-2 Figure 2-6

          --

          GB & 73
          K5OAI
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
            Sam - I did use the configuration Utility and did set the new FM filter for Data Enable.

            Tnx Paul

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@...> wrote:

            > Using the K3 Utility, did you set up the K3 Crystal Filter Configuration to Data
            > Enable: for the FM filter that you just installed? This is only for RX, the Data
            > TX uses the 2.7/2.8 filter
            >
            > http://www.ke7x.com/home/guide-to-the-k3/chapter-2 Figure 2-6
            >
            > On 7/17/2013 2:24 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
            > > I have just installed the FM 13Khz filter in my K3 to take full advantage of the
            > > dual Mode capability of 1.1 v3487. Have what probably are a couple of dumb
            > > questions on filter setup in the K3:
            > > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is that correct
            > > for this application?
            > > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3 slope 0.8,
            > > JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The Waterfall is blank and the
            > > graph flat beyond 3500. Is that the way it should be?
            > >
            > > 73 Paul
            > > kc2nyu
            >
            > --
            >
            > GB & 73
            > K5OAI
            > Sam Morgan

          • kc2nyu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
              Joe- thanks for the Hints. I set my LO to .20, but the HI will only go to 3.50. Not sure why ??
              - I set my Zero and Slope to your settings, but really didn't change much. My waterfall stops at abt 3450 and the graph goes to bottom at 3600 and then flat to about 4500. Rx gain is in the middle of vertical bar.

              Tu Paul

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

              > > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is
              > > that correct for this application?
              >
              > My Hi/Lo is 0.20/4.20 - that will provide much better results in the
              > JT9 area of activity.
              >
              > > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3
              > > slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The
              > > Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500.
              >
              > The blank waterfall is probably due to Zero = -3 (mine is 0) and/or
              > RX NOISE: in the main window (status bar) less than 25 to 30. Slope
              > is a little high in my experience - mine is 0.3 and on a quiet band
              > (no signals) the noise floor is flat at the second line from the
              > bottom of the spectrum display from 400 Hz to 4000 Hz with a rounded
              > "edge" from 200 Hz to 400 Hz (the K3's fixed 200 Hz cutoff).
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ... Joe, W4TV
              >

              > On 7/17/2013 3:24 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
              > > I have just installed the FM 13Khz filter in my K3 to take full advantage of the dual Mode capability of 1.1 v3487. Have what probably are a couple of dumb questions on filter setup in the K3:
              > > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is that correct for this application?
              > > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3 slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500. Is that the way it should be?
              > >
              > > 73 Paul
              > > kc2nyu

              > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Joe Subich, W4TV
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
                Make sure you are in DATA A not USB then select shift/width and set
                FC to 2200. Then you will be able to set Lo/Hi to 200/4200

                > My waterfall stops at abt 3450

                Because you are currently cut off at 4500.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

                On 7/17/2013 4:18 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
                > Joe- thanks for the Hints. I set my LO to .20, but the HI will only go to 3.50. Not sure why ??
                > - I set my Zero and Slope to your settings, but really didn't change much. My waterfall stops at abt 3450 and the graph goes to bottom at 3600 and then flat to about 4500. Rx gain is in the middle of vertical bar.
                >
                > Tu Paul
                >
                > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> > - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is
                >> > that correct for this application?
                >>
                >> My Hi/Lo is 0.20/4.20 - that will provide much better results in the
                >> JT9 area of activity.
                >>
                >> > - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3
                >> > slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The
                >> > Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500.
                >>
                >> The blank waterfall is probably due to Zero = -3 (mine is 0) and/or
                >> RX NOISE: in the main window (status bar) less than 25 to 30. Slope
                >> is a little high in my experience - mine is 0.3 and on a quiet band
                >> (no signals) the noise floor is flat at the second line from the
                >> bottom of the spectrum display from 400 Hz to 4000 Hz with a rounded
                >> "edge" from 200 Hz to 400 Hz (the K3's fixed 200 Hz cutoff).
                >>
                >> 73,
                >>
                >> ... Joe, W4TV
                >>

                >> On 7/17/2013 3:24 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
                >>> I have just installed the FM 13Khz filter in my K3 to take full advantage of the dual Mode capability of 1.1 v3487. Have what probably are a couple of dumb questions on filter setup in the K3:
                >>> - I have the F1 FM filter selected, HI/LO sat at 0.00/ 3.50. 1)Is that correct for this application?
                >>> - 2) My waterfall settings are Bins/Pixel 7, N Avg 5, Gain 0, Zero -3 slope 0.8, JT65 2500 JT9, Cumulative. Dial Freq at 14.076. The Waterfall is blank and the graph flat beyond 3500. Is that the way it should be?
                >>>
                >>> 73 Paul
                >>> kc2nyu

                >>> WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
                >>>

                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              • kc2nyu
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
                  Joe- I was in Data A, but the setting FC to 2200 did the trick. Now have full waterfall & spectrum graph width. I learn more from this Group every day not only about WSJT-X but about my radio. Many thanks for all your help.

                  73 Paul
                  kc2nyu