Is this normal??

  • wa4mit
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hello I am new user of WSJTX. When using WSJT-X 1.1 r3459 working JT65 only if I double click on stations to respond to say a CQ my radio`s frequency will shift, sometimes down, sometimes up, usually by 1KHZ either way but I have seen 500hz shifts depending on the others stations frequency in the waterfall. When I respond then the other station is no longer on the same frequency when he comes back.
      I made a few JT65 contacts yesterday and I did not notice this happening but it is today. I tried WSJTX -1 r3323 on JT9 and double clicking on stations did not change the radio`s frequency just the modulation freq. I tried restarting the software and my computer but this did not change anything.
      My setup is FT1000mp serial cable to PC which is winXP-Pro 4GB ram with all latest updates. I am using HRD to control radio and logging PTT is working normally and I can log contacts. Todays contacts took several tries to finish it seemed because of the frequency hopping.
      Thanks 73 Morris WA4MIT
    • Andrew O'Brien

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013

          > Hello I am new user of WSJTX. When using WSJT-X 1.1 r3459 working JT65 only if I double click on stations to respond to say a CQ my radio`s frequency will shift, sometimes down, sometimes up, usually by 1KHZ either way but I have seen 500hz shifts depending on the others stations frequency in the waterfall.

          I think we may need a bit more info before being able to help.

          First of all what do you mean when you say your radio freq will shift? Do you mean dial freq changes, VFO A freq changes, or VFO B freq changes.

          In normal operation you should be receiving on VFO A, never on VFO B. It's up to you to be sure that is set up right. wsjt-x does not control which VFO is used during receive.

          When you are set up to receive on VFO A then VFO A should never change freq unless you change bands. However, VFO B freq will depend on the position of the TX cursor. VFO B will only equal VFO A for DF between 1000 and 2000. VFO B should increment or decrement in 1000 kHz steps as you cross the 1000 kHz markers on the waterfall.

          Do you see VFO B freq change as you move the TX cursor?

          With the little information available I'd guess you are receiving on VFO B and that can be fixed with the A/B selection (or whatever does the swap on your rig)

          73,

          Andy k3wyc
        • wa4mit
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
            I believe I have figured out some explanation of what is happening with my radio and WSJTX 1 beta on JT65 use. I was told this software operates in 1khz segments if this is correct then the frequency changes I see happening are correct?. However if you double click on a station at 2275hz in the decode window and move the radio up 1khz to be on the correct RF and audio freq the audio needs to go to 1275 to compensate for the RF 1khz upward shift right?. If my assumptions are correct then this is not happening with Yaesu radios. When you double click a signal it moves the radios freq but the audio stays the same therefore I just move up the band 1khz higher than the station I am trying to contact.

            73 WA4MIT

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "wa4mit" <wa4mit@...> wrote:

            > Hello I am new user of WSJTX. When using WSJT-X 1.1 r3459 working JT65 only if I double click on stations to respond to say a CQ my radio`s frequency will shift, sometimes down, sometimes up, usually by 1KHZ either way but I have seen 500hz shifts depending on the others stations frequency in the waterfall. When I respond then the other station is no longer on the same frequency when he comes back.
            > I made a few JT65 contacts yesterday and I did not notice this happening but it is today. I tried WSJTX -1 r3323 on JT9 and double clicking on stations did not change the radio`s frequency just the modulation freq. I tried restarting the software and my computer but this did not change anything.
            > My setup is FT1000mp serial cable to PC which is winXP-Pro 4GB ram with all latest updates. I am using HRD to control radio and logging PTT is working normally and I can log contacts. Todays contacts took several tries to finish it seemed because of the frequency hopping.
            > Thanks 73 Morris WA4MIT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
              > However if you double click on a station at 2275hz in the decode
              > window and move the radio up 1khz to be on the correct RF and audio
              > freq the audio needs to go to 1275 to compensate for the RF 1khz
              > upward shift right?

              Double clicking in the decode window should not move the radio (receive
              frequency) at all. The *only thing* that moves is the *transmit*
              frequency (VFO B) in split mode.

              I don't know which beta you have - and don't want to be too specific
              since there may be private (test) releases that operate differently -
              but *in general* one sets the transceiver frequency (which must be
              "VFO A") and leaves it alone. The one *turns on* "split" mode and
              the *software* will automatically set the transmit frequency (VFO B)
              so that the *transmit* audio tones will always be between 1000 and 2000
              Hz. Thus, if one is receiving JT65A at 500 Hz the software will set
              VFO B 1 KHz *below* the receive frequency. If one is receiving JT65A
              at 2200Hz, the software will set VFO B 1 KHz *above* the receive (VFO A)
              frequency and if one is receiving JT9 at 3300 Hz, the software will set
              the transmit frequency (VFO B) at 2 KHz above the receive frequency.

              If clicking on a decode causes the receive frequency to change, your
              rig is configured *backward* with receive on VFO B and transmit on
              VFO A. Get out the instruction manual for your transceiver and find
              out how to "normalize" the operation - every transceiver is different
              so there is no "one size fits all" instruction for doing that.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 7/14/2013 9:19 PM, wa4mit wrote:
              > I believe I have figured out some explanation of what is happening
              > with my radio and WSJTX 1 beta on JT65 use. I was told this software
              > operates in 1khz segments if this is correct then the frequency
              > changes I see happening are correct?. However if you double click on
              > a station at 2275hz in the decode window and move the radio up 1khz
              > to be on the correct RF and audio freq the audio needs to go to 1275
              > to compensate for the RF 1khz upward shift right?. If my assumptions
              > are correct then this is not happening with Yaesu radios. When you
              > double click a signal it moves the radios freq but the audio stays
              > the same therefore I just move up the band 1khz higher than the
              > station I am trying to contact.
              >
              > 73 WA4MIT
              >
              > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "wa4mit" <wa4mit@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hello I am new user of WSJTX. When using WSJT-X 1.1 r3459 working
              >> JT65 only if I double click on stations to respond to say a CQ my
              >> radio`s frequency will shift, sometimes down, sometimes up, usually
              >> by 1KHZ either way but I have seen 500hz shifts depending on the
              >> others stations frequency in the waterfall. When I respond then the
              >> other station is no longer on the same frequency when he comes
              >> back. I made a few JT65 contacts yesterday and I did not notice
              >> this happening but it is today. I tried WSJTX -1 r3323 on JT9 and
              >> double clicking on stations did not change the radio`s frequency
              >> just the modulation freq. I tried restarting the software and my
              >> computer but this did not change anything. My setup is FT1000mp
              >> serial cable to PC which is winXP-Pro 4GB ram with all latest
              >> updates. I am using HRD to control radio and logging PTT is working
              >> normally and I can log contacts. Todays contacts took several tries
              >> to finish it seemed because of the frequency hopping. Thanks 73
              >> Morris WA4MIT

            • k3wyc
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2013
                Like many others Morris was tricked into sending a single private email when he had intended to reply to this Yahoo Group.

                We exchanged several emails. It seems the likely cause of his issue is that he is using HRD for CAT control.

                In his post Fri July 12 Joe lists the changes for beta r3482. They include:

                "16. Disallow split Tx operation through Ham Radio Deluxe -- it doesn't seem to work."

                Don't know what issues have been found but, in Morris's case, VFO A was being changed when the frequency change should have been applied to VFO B.

                Maybe someone more familiar with the HRD issues could start a new thread warning those may may be using it.

                73,
                Andy k3wyc
              • chas cartmel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013

                  To perhaps muddy the water here

                  To comment on a point made in a few posts as regards the VFOs which must be used for TX and RX. I have 2 rigs a TS570D which sets VFO A as RX, B as TX when I use the dialogues to change band, but the IC706Mk2G always does the reverse. VFO B is RX even though I manually select VFO A first. All works fine as VFO A shifts frequency by the 1kHz if necessary on TX. When changing frequency and VFO A is switched in for RX (to see if it ‘stuck’ using this VFO) it cycles the frequency changes on the rig several times before it settles on VFO B as the RX VFO.

                  Currently 14.077 VFO A, 14.076 VFO B, wsjt-X 1.1 frequency 14.077 MHz.

                  73

                  Charlie

                  www.G4EST.me.uk

> [...]

                  >> radio`s frequency will shift, sometimes down, sometimes up, usually
                  >> by 1KHZ either way but I have seen 500hz shifts depending on the
                  >> others stations frequency in the waterfall. When I respond then the
                  >> other station is no longer on the same frequency when he comes
                  >> back. I made a few JT65 contacts yesterday and I did not notice
                  >> this happening but it is today. I tried WSJTX -1 r3323 on JT9 and
                  >> double clicking on stations did not change the radio`s frequency
                  >> just the modulation freq. I tried restarting the software and my
                  >> computer but this did not change anything. My setup is FT1000mp
                  >> serial cable to PC which is winXP-Pro 4GB ram with all latest
                  >> updates. I am using HRD to control radio and logging PTT is working
                  >> normally and I can log contacts. Todays contacts took several tries
                  >> to finish it seemed because of the frequency hopping. Thanks 73

                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
                    Icom really uses "Front" and "back" VFO in their CI-V protocol so the
                    concept of VFO A and VFO B as shown on the display is rather moot. In
                    their case, it depends entirely on which VFO is selected (active) when
                    starting WSJT-X. Other manufacturers are more formal in their use of
                    VFO A and VFO B.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                  • wa4mit
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2013
                      Solution or at least a functioning work around: Joe you put me on the correct path with this problem. Trying WSJTX 1.1 without HRD works as you suggested it would. With HRD the reverse is happening which would work you just have to use the second recvr VFOB for the rec audio which I am not set up for.
                      I tried this and it works: I am using WSJTX for rig control all works including PTT by cat command. On the FT1000mp select split punch the TX button on VFO-B. I brought up HRD suite then shut down the rig control portion leaving open DM780 and logging. Open WSJTX with rig control setup for FT1000mp. Opened JTAlertX
                      I made a contact even selected a station with the split freq usage it worked and no jumping around the band. When contact ended normal logging to HRD with JTAlertX version. The qso was saved to HRD log correct band the freq logged as 14.078 don`t know where it got that from. But this is working for right now it changes bands both VFO`s so for right now that is where things are at.
                      I agree with Andy that this will evolve and can be worked out with the HRD folks. Thanks for everyone`s emails and help
                      73 Morris WA4MIT