Investigating CAT issues

  • k3wyc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2013
      CAT problems seem to be raised often on this Yahoo Group, particularly for wsjt-x. Thanks to Ian Wade's TS-590S resources I was prompted to install and use HHD Software Free Serial Port Monitor. It's free (except I believe for Windows 8), very easy to install, and allows you to see every command your application sends out and every response you rig makes.

      If you ever wondered how wsjt-x (or any other PC application) was controlling your rig, or why it didn't work right, here's an easy way to find out.

      The only issue I had with setting it up was I didn't realize the port controlling application (wsjt-x) must not be running either during the monitor installation, or when the monitoring session is first opened.

      Download here -

      http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/free-serial-port-monitor-downloads.html

      Ian Wade's documentation here -

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/HOWTO_TS-590S_monitor_CAT_commands_v1.2.pdf

      73

      Andy k3wyc
    • k3wyc
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2013
        I received off group email about problems with running the monitor.

        This note is included in the help/installation instructions:

        "You must be a member of Administrators group or you must have an Install Device Drivers privilege assigned to you by the administrator of the local machine in order to successfully run the product for the first time.

        By default, the Serial Monitor allows only the members of Administrators group to run it. Although you can set it up to allow anyone to use the Serial Monitor."

        I did not experience this issue so did not include it in the first post.

        73,

        Andy k3wyc