Rig Control Error

  • kc2nyu
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
      I am having the same problem with r3482 that I had with the previous release. When I start the program, the " Enable Cat " box is unchecked, even though it was checked when I shut the program down. So I check it and the program runs fine for a while and then I get " Rig Control error 0, failed to read freq" msg and the program freezes up, until I clear the msg. I clear the msg , program runs for a while and then it all starts again. I mentioned this before and there was a comment about polling interval. I have mine set now for 10 secs.

      I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4 processor, and 4 gb of ram.

      Is there a fix for this I can do, or is it a program issue ?

      73 Paul
      kc2nyu
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
        > I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4
        > processor, and 4 gb of ram.

        What are you using for the serial connection? Are you using any kind
        of "port splitter" (e.g. VSPE, etc.)?

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 7/13/2013 6:54 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
        > I am having the same problem with r3482 that I had with the previous release. When I start the program, the " Enable Cat " box is unchecked, even though it was checked when I shut the program down. So I check it and the program runs fine for a while and then I get " Rig Control error 0, failed to read freq" msg and the program freezes up, until I clear the msg. I clear the msg , program runs for a while and then it all starts again. I mentioned this before and there was a comment about polling interval. I have mine set now for 10 secs.
        >
        > I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4 processor, and 4 gb of ram.
        >
        > Is there a fix for this I can do, or is it a program issue ?
        >
        > 73 Paul
        > kc2nyu

      • kc2nyu
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
          My serial connection is direct, K3 to a serial card in PC, no port splitter involved - no VSPE or LPBridge.

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

          > > I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4
          > > processor, and 4 gb of ram.
          >
          > What are you using for the serial connection? Are you using any kind
          > of "port splitter" (e.g. VSPE, etc.)?
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > ... Joe, W4TV
          >

          > On 7/13/2013 6:54 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
          > > I am having the same problem with r3482 that I had with the previous release. When I start the program, the " Enable Cat " box is unchecked, even though it was checked when I shut the program down. So I check it and the program runs fine for a while and then I get " Rig Control error 0, failed to read freq" msg and the program freezes up, until I clear the msg. I clear the msg , program runs for a while and then it all starts again. I mentioned this before and there was a comment about polling interval. I have mine set now for 10 secs.
          > >
          > > I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4 processor, and 4 gb of ram.
          > >
          > > Is there a fix for this I can do, or is it a program issue ?
          > >
          > > 73 Paul
          > > kc2nyu

          > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
            Check the voltages from your K3 serial port. If they are significantly
            less than +/- 5V and you have an older serial card, the serial card may
            not be reliably reading the data.

            Because the K3, like so many other devices these days, uses +/-5V levels
            and RS-232 treats any input between -3 and +3V as undefined, there is
            not a lot of room for error. If you are running your K3 from a power
            supply that is a bit low (e.g., a battery around 11V) the serial port
            voltages can get very close to the 3V level.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 7/13/2013 9:18 PM, kc2nyu wrote:

            > My serial connection is direct, K3 to a serial card in PC, no port splitter involved - no VSPE or LPBridge.
            >
            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> > I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4
            >> > processor, and 4 gb of ram.
            >>
            >> What are you using for the serial connection? Are you using any kind
            >> of "port splitter" (e.g. VSPE, etc.)?
            >>
            >> 73,
            >>
            >> ... Joe, W4TV
            >>

            >> On 7/13/2013 6:54 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
            >>> I am having the same problem with r3482 that I had with the previous release. When I start the program, the " Enable Cat " box is unchecked, even though it was checked when I shut the program down. So I check it and the program runs fine for a while and then I get " Rig Control error 0, failed to read freq" msg and the program freezes up, until I clear the msg. I clear the msg , program runs for a while and then it all starts again. I mentioned this before and there was a comment about polling interval. I have mine set now for 10 secs.
            >>>
            >>> I am running a K3 with a Signalink USB interface. win 7 pc, 2.4 processor, and 4 gb of ram.
            >>>
            >>> Is there a fix for this I can do, or is it a program issue ?
            >>>
            >>> 73 Paul
            >>> kc2nyu

            >>> WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
            >>>

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

          • kc2nyu
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 14, 2013
              (Regret if this is a dupe, but I posted early this morning and it never appeared on list)
              Joe:
              - my power supply is putting out 14.1 measured at input to K3
              - Not sure I know how to check voltages from K3 serial port?
              - My serial card in the PC is less than two years old
              - I never had this problem before the 1.1 ver
              - I am able to run WSJT 1.0 r 3323, the old JT65HF and WSPR without this problem occurring
              - When I posted this problem last week, Jim WN1X said he was having the same issue
              - When I posted this problem last week, you said " Yes, ver 1.1 has some polling issues - it times out too quickly."
              - So is this an inherent 1.1 issue or is it something can be adjusted out by changing the polling interval?

              73 Paul
              kc2nyu

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

              > Check the voltages from your K3 serial port. If they are significantly
              > less than +/- 5V and you have an older serial card, the serial card may
              > not be reliably reading the data.
              >
              > Because the K3, like so many other devices these days, uses +/-5V levels
              > and RS-232 treats any input between -3 and +3V as undefined, there is
              > not a lot of room for error. If you are running your K3 from a power
              > supply that is a bit low (e.g., a battery around 11V) the serial port
              > voltages can get very close to the 3V level.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > ... Joe, W4TV
              >

              > On 7/13/2013 9:18 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
              > >

              > > My serial connection is direct, K3 to a serial card in PC, no port splitter involved - no VSPE or LPBridge.

              > >> What are you using for the serial connection? Are you using any kind
              > >> of "port splitter" (e.g. VSPE, etc.)?
              > >>
              > >> 73,
              > >>
              > >> ... Joe, W4TV

              > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Joe Subich, W4TV
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2013
                > - Not sure I know how to check voltages from K3 serial port?

                Scope or measure the +/- supplies inside on the KIO3 board.

                > - When I posted this problem last week, you said " Yes, ver 1.1 has
                > some polling issues - it times out too quickly."

                Yes, it did and still does time out too easily although Joe suspended
                polling in some time critical points. There still seems to be no
                recovery for a missing or garbled poll response. Those issues have
                been present since CAT receive was introduced.

                > - So is this an inherent 1.1 issue or is it something can be adjusted
                > out by changing the polling interval?

                Changing the polling interval will not impact the CAT receive issues.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

                On 7/14/2013 10:41 AM, kc2nyu wrote:

                > (Regret if this is a dupe, but I posted early this morning and it never appeared on list)
                > Joe:
                > - my power supply is putting out 14.1 measured at input to K3
                > - Not sure I know how to check voltages from K3 serial port?
                > - My serial card in the PC is less than two years old
                > - I never had this problem before the 1.1 ver
                > - I am able to run WSJT 1.0 r 3323, the old JT65HF and WSPR without this problem occurring
                > - When I posted this problem last week, Jim WN1X said he was having the same issue
                > - When I posted this problem last week, you said " Yes, ver 1.1 has some polling issues - it times out too quickly."
                > - So is this an inherent 1.1 issue or is it something can be adjusted out by changing the polling interval?
                >
                > 73 Paul
                > kc2nyu
                >
                > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Check the voltages from your K3 serial port. If they are significantly
                >> less than +/- 5V and you have an older serial card, the serial card may
                >> not be reliably reading the data.
                >>
                >> Because the K3, like so many other devices these days, uses +/-5V levels
                >> and RS-232 treats any input between -3 and +3V as undefined, there is
                >> not a lot of room for error. If you are running your K3 from a power
                >> supply that is a bit low (e.g., a battery around 11V) the serial port
                >> voltages can get very close to the 3V level.
                >>
                >> 73,
                >>
                >> ... Joe, W4TV
                >>

                >> On 7/13/2013 9:18 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
                >>>

                >>> My serial connection is direct, K3 to a serial card in PC, no port splitter involved - no VSPE or LPBridge.

                >>> WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
                >>>

                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              • David Birnbaum
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14, 2013
                  I'm having some minor issues with CAT as well.  Rig is Yaesu FT450D.  I running wsjtx on Ubunut Linux 12.04.  When I start up wsjtx (most recent release as of yesterday) the CAT control works fine.  But after a contact I get the error message and find that the Enable CAT box is now unchecked.  I can check the box and things work again until the next contact.

                  dave
                  k2lyv
                • k5hdu
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 30
                    Trying to set up FT8 and the new version V1.8.0-rc1 on my FT 1000D and MK11 but having a problem with the 1KD not reading the frequency. I keep getting the message: “ Rig Control Error. Do you want to reconfigure the radio interface. If I hit the TEST CAT button, I get the message: Rig Failure/ Ham lib error: communication timed out while opening connection to rig. I have another program for JT65 , JTDX which works fine with the 1KD. With the new program, I can read signals but can not transmit or read the frequency with the setup.

                    Mike K5HDU

                  • g4wjs
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 30
                      HI Mike,

                      sorry you are having problems with WSJT-X. Please share a summary of your "Settings->Radio" panel options with us.

                      73
                      Bill
                      G4WJS.
                    • k5hdu
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 30

                        Rig: FT1000D
                        Cat Control: Serial Com 3
                                Baud 4800
                                Data  8
                                Stop   2
                                Handshake  None
                                pole interval  1s
                                PTT    RTS
                                Port  COM 3
                                Mode  None
                                Split   None

                        Audio:  input line (microHAM CODEC )

                                    output   Headset Earphone  ( microHAM CODEC )
                      • Jim Preston
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 30
                          If those are the same settings you use for JTDX, then they should work.
                          Just don't run JTDX at the same time.\\73,

                          Jim N6VH

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 30
                            Hi Mike,

                            in the microHAM uRouter apllication you can go to the ports tab and see red and green markers that show when a serial port is opened. You can also go to the Set page for the CAT port an monitor the CAT traffic. That may show what is not responding. The error is saying that WSJT-X is sending a CAT command an no reply is forthcoming.

                            73
                            Bill
                            G4WJS.
                          • k5hdu
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 30
                              Interesting. When I load up the JTDX program, the CAT port turns  green and when I hit the Set button, the CAT communication log goes through it’s sequence. When  I load the WSJT-X program, the CAT port light blinks green a couple of times, the Rig Control Error box pops up. When I hit the Set button, it will go through several readings and then says:  Log disabled ( urouter V8.6.3, micro KEYER II v6.4 ).

                              Mike