Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X 1.1 & K3

  • John Nogatch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10 2:35 PM
      > ... about setting Transceiver to spilt. I am using Data A mode on my K3 and when trying to Select split- I get "SPL N/A"....

      Elecraft K3 remembers the MODE per VFO; when it says "SPLIT N/A", it
      is because VFO A is in MODE=DATA, but VFO B is in some other MODE. To
      fix it: switch VFO_A/B, change MODE to DATA, switch VFO_A/B, then hold
      SPLIT.

      > - I have the Standard 2.7 khz 5 pole filter installed in the K3, so as per item 14 in the User's Guide I have set the dial freq to 14.077.40. I seem to be decoding both JT65 and JT-9 signals. I am assuming to take advantage of the wide band, dual-mode capability of WSJT-X v1.1, I would need to install the FM filter in the K3?

      Even with a wider filter, the DSP/Audio in the K3 will not allow more
      than 4.2 kHz passband.
      [ref. http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#K3 Parts "a Low
      Pass Filter (LPF) that rolls off RX audio above 4 kHz"]
      With the 6 kHz filter installed, and the filter knobs set center=2.0,
      lo=0, hi=4.0, the wsjtx waterfall display shows the passband dropping
      off approx. below 500Hz and above 3.9kHz. There is slightly more
      usable filter width with the 6 kHz filter vs. the standard 2.7kHz
      filter, i.e. almost enough to cover 14.076 - 14.079 MHz.

      -John AC6SL
    • kc2nyu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10 6:06 PM
        - Thanks to all for the help
        - Roger on steps to ensure both VFO's in the same mode, I had not thought of that.
        - I ordered the FM filter today. So should be able utilize full dual band capability
        - Re: CAT Enabled being unselected issue, I have the polling interval set at 10 secs, should I shorten that up?
        - 73 Paul
        kc2nyu

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

        > > The only real problem I am having is: - I have selected Enable CAT in
        > > configuration and it works fine, except occasionally it seems to
        > > "un-select" itself and I get a "Rig Control error 0, failed to read
        > > frequency" msg. Pgrm freezes until I clear error msg, Anyone else
        > > seen this issue?
        >
        > Yes, ver 1.1 has some polling issues - it times out too quickly.
        >
        > > I am using Data A mode on my K3 and when trying to Select split- I
        > > get "SPL N/A".
        >
        > Set VFO B to DATA A mode as well. The easiest way to handle that
        > on the K3 is to tap A>B twice when you start WSJT-X. That puts both
        > VFOs on the same frequency and mode - then you can hold A>B to enable
        > split.
        >
        > > I am assuming to take advantage of the wide band, dual-mode
        > > capability of WSJT-X v1.1, I would need to install the FM filter in
        > > the K3?
        >
        > To get full benefit of the wide band, dual mode capability with the K3,
        > one needs either the AM (6 KHz) filter or the FM (13 KHz) filter so the
        > receive bandwidth is relatively flat from 200 to 4200 Hz. With the FM
        > filter in my K3 and a "slope" setting of 0.4 in WSJT-X v1.1, I see a
        > relatively flat response from below 400 Hz to 4000 Hz with HI/LOW set
        > at 4.10/0.10.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > ... Joe, W4TV
        >

        > On 7/10/2013 4:23 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
        > > I was on travel when WSJT-X 1.1 came out and although I was able to
        > > follow the email threads, I was not home able to download and try it
        > > on my PC and rig. Got home yesterday and installed 1.1 in a separate
        > > directory from the 1.0 version. I used the same settings in 1.1 that
        > > have worked for me in ver 1.0 (win 7 PC, Signalink USB interface, K3
        > > without FM filter. The only real problem I am having is: - I have
        > > selected Enable CAT in configuration and it works fine, except
        > > occasionally it seems to "un-select" itself and I get a "Rig Control
        > > error 0, failed to read frequency" msg. Pgrm freezes until I clear
        > > error msg, Anyone else seen this issue?
        > >
        > > After running 1.1 for about a day, several items that I would
        > > appreciate confirmation that I am on the right track: - I read in
        > > several postings on this reflector and in Andy's Old Codgers Guide,
        > > about setting Transceiver to spilt. I am using Data A mode on my K3
        > > and when trying to Select split- I get "SPL N/A". But when I respond
        > > to either a JT65 or JT9 QSO, the software is changing VFO B to the
        > > appropriate Tx freq, so I am assuming that is the way it is suppose
        > > to work? - I have the Standard 2.7 khz 5 pole filter installed in
        > > the K3, so as per item 14 in the User's Guide I have set the dial
        > > freq to 14.077.40. I seem to be decoding both JT65 and JT-9 signals.
        > > I am assuming to take advantage of the wide band, dual-mode
        > > capability of WSJT-X v1.1, I would need to install the FM filter in
> [...]
      • Jim Littlefield
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10 6:29 PM
          Same problem here...1.1 is working great now. Thanks Joe!

          --
          Jim WN1X