Re: New to JT9

  • Jack W6NF
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
      I just had a thought...

      Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
      no caveats in the documentation.

      The Elecraft K3 does *not* use the RTS/DTR lines for handshaking. These
      lines are *intended* for PTT and CW keying, which is how I use them in
      contests with N1MM Logger.

      Thanks,

      --
      Jack, W6NF/VE4
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
        > Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
        > no caveats in the documentation.

        *No* - that is if you are using RTS or DTR for PTT.

        If you do not have a separate port for PTT turn the K3 PTT/CW setting
        to off-off and do PTT via CAT. Don't try to have DTR/RTS and software
        PTT active at the same time as the K3 has been known to hang.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 7/9/2013 8:08 AM, Jack W6NF wrote:
        > I just had a thought...
        >
        > Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
        > no caveats in the documentation.
        >
        > The Elecraft K3 does *not* use the RTS/DTR lines for handshaking. These
        > lines are *intended* for PTT and CW keying, which is how I use them in
        > contests with N1MM Logger.
        >
        > Thanks,

      • Jack W6NF
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
          Thanks to W4TV for helping me.

          The solution is to turn off the DTR/RTS on the K3 and use CAT keying.
          I'd never done than and would likely have not thought of it myself.

          Now to try making some Qs. I have called a couple of stations in the
          past 10 minutes, one of them very loud at +2, but my antenna is very
          poor. I will keep plugging away!

          Jack, W6NF/VE4