New to JT9

  • Jack W6NF
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2013
      I have just set up my K3 to work with JT9. In the configuration settings
      everything works fine, with the PTT and CAT tests working as they
      should. I am decoding a ton of signals tonight using just a "Slinky"
      dipole on an apartment balcony. VSWR is not great but the K3 ATU matches
      the antenna easily.

      My problem is when trying to actually make a QSO when I double click a
      CQ, which enables transmit, the K3 does not key. Neither does it key
      when I click the "tune" button. I know the laptop is talking to the
      radio, and getting data back, but I don't know why the program fails to
      key the rig. Any suggestions?

      It's late so I'll deal with this in the morning.

      --
      Jack, W6NF/VE4
      Shelley, K7MKL/VE4
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2013
        Did you press "enable RX"?

        Andy K3UK
      • Jack W6NF
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
          On 7/8/2013 10:59 PM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:

          Did you press "enable RX"?

          Andy K3UK

          I do not see an "enable RX" but the "enable TX" button is set to come on automatically when I double-click a decoded signal. I did that with several CQs but had no luck getting the PTT line to key the rig. Also, when double-clicking the decoded CQ, the "TX even" box is checked, when appropriate.

          When I press the "TX1" button on the main window's standard messages the "TX" and "last TX" windows in the bottom-left populate correctly.

          I re-verified that the PTT and CAT functions test okay in the configuration window.

          Is there anything in the main window I am missing that may be contributing to my problem?

          Thanks,

          --
          Jack, W6NF/VE4

        • Jack W6NF
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
            I just had a thought...

            Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
            no caveats in the documentation.

            The Elecraft K3 does *not* use the RTS/DTR lines for handshaking. These
            lines are *intended* for PTT and CW keying, which is how I use them in
            contests with N1MM Logger.

            Thanks,

            --
            Jack, W6NF/VE4
          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
              > Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
              > no caveats in the documentation.

              *No* - that is if you are using RTS or DTR for PTT.

              If you do not have a separate port for PTT turn the K3 PTT/CW setting
              to off-off and do PTT via CAT. Don't try to have DTR/RTS and software
              PTT active at the same time as the K3 has been known to hang.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 7/9/2013 8:08 AM, Jack W6NF wrote:
              > I just had a thought...
              >
              > Will WSJT-X permit using the same COM port for both PTT and CAT? I see
              > no caveats in the documentation.
              >
              > The Elecraft K3 does *not* use the RTS/DTR lines for handshaking. These
              > lines are *intended* for PTT and CW keying, which is how I use them in
              > contests with N1MM Logger.
              >
              > Thanks,

            • Jack W6NF
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
                Thanks to W4TV for helping me.

                The solution is to turn off the DTR/RTS on the K3 and use CAT keying.
                I'd never done than and would likely have not thought of it myself.

                Now to try making some Qs. I have called a couple of stations in the
                past 10 minutes, one of them very loud at +2, but my antenna is very
                poor. I will keep plugging away!

                Jack, W6NF/VE4