Re: Triple decode same station , same time cycle

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
      I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's actually the receive side that's to blame.

      Julian, G4ILO

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

      > Not too much power (except that he's strong at your QTH). Too much 120
      > Hz ripple on a power supply, modulating his signal.
      >
      > Note, however, that according to WSJT-X the "spurs" are down by 43 dB.
      > That's not perfect, but still it's not so bad.
      >
      > -- Joe, K1JT

    • Andrew O'Brien
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
        What on my side would cause that Julian?  i also experienced a couple more occasions where i received a station twice, same cycle, same frequency, same dB level

        Andy K3UK

        On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

        I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's actually the receive side that's to blame.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

        > Not too much power (except that he's strong at your QTH). Too much 120
        > Hz ripple on a power supply, modulating his signal.
        >
        > Note, however, that according to WSJT-X the "spurs" are down by 43 dB.
        > That's not perfect, but still it's not so bad.
        >
        > -- Joe, K1JT

      • Julian, G4ILO
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
          Mains hum, less than perfect grounding. I have a power supply with a whacking great transformer in it, my K3 is one side, my PC the other.

          20dB is a long way down: I don't know if you would even hear it.

          Julian, G4ILO
          G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
          http://about.me/julian.moss

          On 5 July 2013 18:34, Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
          What on my side would cause that Julian?  i also experienced a couple more occasions where i received a station twice, same cycle, same frequency, same dB level

          Andy K3UK

          On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

          I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's actually the receive side that's to blame.

          Julian, G4ILO

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

          > Not too much power (except that he's strong at your QTH). Too much 120
          > Hz ripple on a power supply, modulating his signal.
          >
          > Note, however, that according to WSJT-X the "spurs" are down by 43 dB.
          > That's not perfect, but still it's not so bad.
          >
          > -- Joe, K1JT

        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
            Grounding... might be... until workmen finish the work on the house,,, then back to usual ground source

            Andy

            On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Julian, G4ILO <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
            Mains hum, less than perfect grounding. I have a power supply with a whacking great transformer in it, my K3 is one side, my PC the other.

            20dB is a long way down: I don't know if you would even hear it.

            Julian, G4ILO
            G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
            http://about.me/julian.moss

            On 5 July 2013 18:34, Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
            What on my side would cause that Julian?  i also experienced a couple more occasions where i received a station twice, same cycle, same frequency, same dB level

            Andy K3UK

            On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

            I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's actually the receive side that's to blame.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

            > Not too much power (except that he's strong at your QTH). Too much 120
            > Hz ripple on a power supply, modulating his signal.
            >
            > Note, however, that according to WSJT-X the "spurs" are down by 43 dB.
            > That's not perfect, but still it's not so bad.
            >
            > -- Joe, K1JT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
              What are you using for a sound card and how it is connected to your
              receiver? One "inexpensive" amateur product is very lacking in
              filtering on the USB power line and the designer skipped the regulator
              for USB CODEC V/2 reference recommended by the chip's maker. That
              same V/2 is also used as a reference (bias) by all of the op-amps in
              the audio chain (receive and transmit).

              Coupled with the obvious lack of power supply decoupling (bypasses
              on the +5V lead of each chip), it would be a miracle if that device
              did not have *more* than 40 dB of spurious modulation.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 7/5/2013 1:34 PM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
              > What on my side would cause that Julian? i also experienced a couple more
              > occasions where i received a station twice, same cycle, same frequency,
              > same dB level
              >
              > Andy K3UK
              >
              > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every
              >> signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's actually
              >> the receive side that's to blame.
              >>
              >> Julian, G4ILO
              >>

              >> --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Not too much power (except that he's strong at your QTH). Too much 120
              >>> Hz ripple on a power supply, modulating his signal.
              >>>
              >>> Note, however, that according to WSJT-X the "spurs" are down by 43 dB.
              >>> That's not perfect, but still it's not so bad.
              >>>
              >>> -- Joe, K1JT

            • Andrew O'Brien
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
                I have been using a Flex 3000 so far with WSJTX 1.1 and VAC/Internal
                sound device in a cheap Asus desktop (Realtek, I think). So, A
                firewire cable is connected between rig and PC. Virtual cables for
                the audio paths. I will do some testing with my TS2000 and Microkeyer
                interface over the weekend

                Andy

                On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

                > What are you using for a sound card and how it is connected to your
                > receiver? One "inexpensive" amateur product is very lacking in
                > filtering on the USB power line and the designer skipped the regulator
                > for USB CODEC V/2 reference recommended by the chip's maker. That
                > same V/2 is also used as a reference (bias) by all of the op-amps in
                > the audio chain (receive and transmit).
                >
                > Coupled with the obvious lack of power supply decoupling (bypasses
                > on the +5V lead of each chip), it would be a miracle if that device
                > did not have *more* than 40 dB of spurious modulation.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > ... Joe, W4TV
                >

                > On 7/5/2013 1:34 PM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
                >>
                >> What on my side would cause that Julian? i also experienced a couple more
                >> occasions where i received a station twice, same cycle, same frequency,
                >> same dB level
                >>
                >> Andy K3UK
                >>
                >> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> **
                >>>

                >>> I note the difference between spurs is consistently 39 or 40dB on every
                >>> signal that's received at +10dB or more. Which would suggest it's
                >>> actually
                >>> the receive side that's to blame.
                >>>
                >>> Julian, G4ILO

              • KD7YZ Bob
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2013
                  On Thursday O'Brien sent, on a straight key:

                  AOB> So, what do we make of this ?
                  AOB>
                  AOB> 2022 17 -0.8 3532 @ CQ K0TPP EM48
                  AOB>
                  AOB> 2022 -26 -0.7 3412 @ CQ K0TPP EM48
                  AOB>
                  AOB> 2022 -26 -0.8 3652 @ CQ K0TPP EM48
                  i am getting between 8 to 10 decodes per guy calling, today
                  their sigs are -7 to -15

                  Bob KD7YZ
                  http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ