Re: Bandwidth ??

  • k3wyc
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
      > Still trying to get my head wrapped around this...

      The VFO indicates the suppressed carrier frequency not the modulated RF frequency.

      The VFO B frequency increments in 1000 Hz steps as you move the TX cursor up the waterfall. Within each of those 1000 Hz windows the audio moudulation frequency will rage from suppressed carrier frequency + 1000 Hz to suppressed carrier frequency + 2000 Hz.

      If you have a second receiver then TX into a dummy load while listening to the transmitted signal on the other rig. Move the TX cursor up the waterfall in steps making a transmission at each point. If your receiver is fixed at VFO A freq you'll hear the received tone progressively increase in frequency regardless of the VFO B transmit freq. You won't be able to hear where the VFO B step changes are.

      However, if you listen to the tones being sent to the transmitter, you'll hear that they follow a sawtooth pattern, with freq increasing up to the point VFO B switches and then dropping down to start the next ramp up.

      Remember that if you transmit a single tone with an SSB rig in USB mode, the signal will have an RF frequency of suppressed carrier freq + tone modulation freq. You can put that rf signal at the same frequency with an almost infinite number of combinations of suppressed carrier frequency and modulation frequency.

      73,
      Andy k3wyc
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
        Thanks Andy, I think I follow what you're saying.

        I made some sense of this...I tried a QSO on JT9, with VFO A set at 14.076 I answered a CQ call. VFO B showed 14.078. The TX cursor was a 3709 hz. When I logged the QSO I noted the log frequency showed 14.081.709. That's what I would have expected so was good to verify my thinking was correct. So some progress is being made on my part.

        One other thing I've noticed on the waterfall, JT65 signals appear to show from 600 to below 2000 usually, but occasionally I see them above 2000. JT9 signals appear to fall in the 2700 to 3800 range. With the JT65-JT9 blue marker set at 2000 the decoded signals seem to be in the correct section of the waterfall.

        Sure hope I'm doing this right...

        Dan
        KJ6RGX

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
          Hi Dan,

          KJ6RGX wrote:
          > ... I have more reading to do, I thought I understood split mode, but apparently not. I set VFO A to 14.076 and saved that to VFO B. Set the radio to split mode. I have the waterfall set to Bins=4, N Avg=5, Gain=0, Zero=2, Slope=1.5, JT65 2000 JT9. TX and RX both show 2704 Hz. I set it to transmit a JT9 CQ and watched VFO B and it tuned 14.077. I expected it to be at 14.078.704 (14076000 + 2704 = 14078704). So I am off to read the manual on split operation. Still trying to get my head wrapped around this...

          WSJT-X v1.1 takes care of this [frequency setting ] by using Split mode,
          receiving with VFO A and transmitting with VFO B. The Tx dial frequency
          (VFO B) is offset in 1000 Hz steps, and the generated audio
          frequency is adjusted so that it always falls in the range 1000 – 2000
          Hz. With CAT enabled and your transceiver set to Split mode, frequency
          control will be handled automatically.

          By setting VFO B to 14.077, the necessary audio tone frequency comes out
          as 1704 Hz -- as described, a frequency between 1000 and 2000 Hz.

          It's working as expected.

          -- Joe, K1JT
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
            Thanks Joe. I understand what you're saying...but...my confusion stems from attempting to setup the waterfall.

            The manual says to use the JT65 xxxx JT9 to split where the signals are located. Below xxxx and the signals decode as JT65, above xxxx, the signals decode as JT9. So I initially set the marker at 2000. I figured 14.076 plus 2000 would be 14.078 (JT9 freq). But after watching the waterfall I moved the marker to 2500 due to seeing JT65 signals above the 2000 mark.

            So, I'm sure the radio and WSJTX are working correctly, and since I have received responses to both JT65 and JT9 signals I am confident I am transmitting the correct frequency. But how do I know if I have the waterfall set correctly? How do you figure out what xxxx should be for the JT65 xxxx JT9 setting?

            Dan
            KJ6RGX

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
              On 7/4/2013 3:52 PM, Dan wrote:
              > Thanks Joe. I understand what you're saying...but...my confusion stems from attempting to setup the waterfall.
              >
              > The manual says to use the JT65 xxxx JT9 to split where the signals are located. Below xxxx and the signals decode as JT65, above xxxx, the signals decode as JT9. So I initially set the marker at 2000. I figured 14.076 plus 2000 would be 14.078 (JT9 freq). But after watching the waterfall I moved the marker to 2500 due to seeing JT65 signals above the 2000 mark.
              >
              > So, I'm sure the radio and WSJTX are working correctly, and since I have received responses to both JT65 and JT9 signals I am confident I am transmitting the correct frequency. But how do I know if I have the waterfall set correctly? How do you figure out what xxxx should be for the JT65 xxxx JT9 setting?

              With dial frequency = xx.076, the nominal JT65 sub-band extends from DF
              = -1000 to +1000 on the older programs WSJT and JT65-HF. In those
              programs, DT = 0 corresponds top audio frequency 1270 Hz. So, in the
              terminology of WSJT-X, the sync tones of JT65 signals should be between
              270 and 2270 Hz. JT9 should be between 3000 and 4000 Hz, although it's
              being recommended that the lower limit should move down to 2500 Hz.

              Sounds like a good idea to set the dividing line indicator to read
              "JT65 2400 JT65"

              -- 73, Joe, K1JT
            • Hasan Schiers
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                Thanks to the two Joe's, (one being the author), the other W4TV, I just
                made my first JT9 qso on 20m (or any band for that matter). Conceptually
                I was lost, coming from JT65-HF where there is no need for a radio
                connection w/r to frequencies in use. JT tried to explain it, but W4TV
                made the light turn on....the radio had to be interfaced and split mode
                is required. I just didn't get that at first reading of the docs...I
                thought it was an option, and Joe made it clear that it was a requirement.

                After that things made sense and I started making contacts. I opened up
                the IF on the TS-2K and started the dual mode operation. I guessed that
                the # and @ symbols in the monitor list were the two modes, so I clicked
                on what I thought was JT9 because of where it fell in the waterfall and
                the symbol in the list was different and bingo!

                What fun. Now I get to play around ...and see if it will co-exist with
                TRX Manager or not.

                73, thanks so much guys!

                ...hasan, N0AN
              • Ed
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2013

                  I was just attempting to update my JT Alert from 2.2  to the 2.3 version and my Norton Security Suite prevented the setup from running because it is detected as  “ Suspicious behavior”.

                  Anyone else run into this issue?

                  Ed   K7AAT

                • g4ilo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2013
                    False alarms from Norton are not unknown. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is remove the bundled Norton crapware.

                    Julian, G4ILO

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Ed <k7aat.ed@...> wrote:

                    > I was just attempting to update my JT Alert from 2.2 to the 2.3 version and
                    > my Norton Security Suite prevented the setup from running because it is
                    > detected as " Suspicious behavior".
                    >

                    > Anyone else run into this issue?
                    >

                    > Ed K7AAT

                  • Ed
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2013

                      It is my view from years of experience   that Norton Security suite is more aggressive in detecting and preventing malware from running on one’s computer than many other security programs.  For that reason I will put up with the rare occasional issue raised in this subject.

                      Ed   K7AAT