Skip to search.

Bandwidth ??

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
      Please excuse my lack of knowledge and stupid questions...but I want to learn how this stuff works...

      Using a TS440SAT with N, M1, M2, and W filters installed. I set the dial to 14.077.4 and the JT65-JT9 marker to 1600. I can see both JT65 and JT9 signals on the waterfall. So how do I figure out what my bandwidth is for my radio? Does bandwidth affect both receive and transmit? I'd like to setup my waterfall to only show that part of the spectrum where I can decode and reply to any signal displayed. I'm running with the filter set to wide and I can see signals on the waterfall from 0 to over 4k. But I thought I read that the limitation is on the transmit side.

      I'm still trying to get my bearings with v1.1 doing both JT65 and JT9. Ran some QSO's early this morning and was able to make contacts but it appeared to me that not all signals on the waterfall were decoded. Some of the JT65 signals appeared backwards to me. What I usually see with JT65 signals is the base frequency and the "data" spikes to the right of the base signal. But now I am seeing signals where the "data" appears to go to the left of the base frequency.

      I love having my 2 favorite programs combined...simply brilliant. Anxiously waiting JT-Alert to work with both JT65 and JT9.

      Dan
      KJ6RGX
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
        > I can see both JT65 and JT9 signals on the waterfall. So how do I
        > figure out what my bandwidth is for my radio?

        According to the chart on page 27 of TS-440S Instruction Manual, if
        Selectivity is set to "W", the receive bandwidth is 6 KHz in all modes
        except FM.

        > I'd like to setup my waterfall to only show that part of the spectrum
        > where I can decode and reply to any signal displayed. I'm running
        > with the filter set to wide and I can see signals on the waterfall
        > from 0 to over 4k. But I thought I read that the limitation is on the
        > transmit side.

        Do you have the IC-10 "Interface Kit" installed in your TS-440S and
        are you controlling it from a computer?

        If you are, set VFO A (receive) to xx.076, save that frequency to VFO B
        and engage "Split". WSJT-X 1.1 will then tune VFO B (the transmit VFO)
        so that transmitted tones between 1000 and 2000 Hz line up with the
        received tones. *Read* the User Guide for the WSJT-X beta:
        www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
        (the link was in the message announcing the beta) for further details.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 7/4/2013 1:06 PM, Dan wrote:
        > Please excuse my lack of knowledge and stupid questions...but I want
        > to learn how this stuff works...
        >
        > Using a TS440SAT with N, M1, M2, and W filters installed. I set the
        > dial to 14.077.4 and the JT65-JT9 marker to 1600. I can see both
        > JT65 and JT9 signals on the waterfall. So how do I figure out what
        > my bandwidth is for my radio? Does bandwidth affect both receive and
        > transmit? I'd like to setup my waterfall to only show that part of
        > the spectrum where I can decode and reply to any signal displayed.
        > I'm running with the filter set to wide and I can see signals on the
        > waterfall from 0 to over 4k. But I thought I read that the
        > limitation is on the transmit side.
        >
        > I'm still trying to get my bearings with v1.1 doing both JT65 and
        > JT9. Ran some QSO's early this morning and was able to make contacts
        > but it appeared to me that not all signals on the waterfall were
        > decoded. Some of the JT65 signals appeared backwards to me. What I
        > usually see with JT65 signals is the base frequency and the "data"
        > spikes to the right of the base signal. But now I am seeing signals
        > where the "data" appears to go to the left of the base frequency.
        >
        > I love having my 2 favorite programs combined...simply brilliant.
        > Anxiously waiting JT-Alert to work with both JT65 and JT9.
        >

        > Dan KJ6RGX

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
          Thanks Joe. Yes, TS440 using CAT. I have more reading to do, I thought I understood split mode, but apparently not. I set VFO A to 14.076 and saved that to VFO B. Set the radio to split mode. I have the waterfall set to Bins=4, N Avg=5, Gain=0, Zero=2, Slope=1.5, JT65 2000 JT9. TX and RX both show 2704 Hz. I set it to transmit a JT9 CQ and watched VFO B and it tuned 14.077. I expected it to be at 14.078.704 (14076000 + 2704 = 14078704). So I am off to read the manual on split operation. Still trying to get my head wrapped around this...

          Dan
          KJ6RGX

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

          > > I can see both JT65 and JT9 signals on the waterfall. So how do I
          > > figure out what my bandwidth is for my radio?
          >
          > According to the chart on page 27 of TS-440S Instruction Manual, if
          > Selectivity is set to "W", the receive bandwidth is 6 KHz in all modes
          > except FM.
          >
          > > I'd like to setup my waterfall to only show that part of the spectrum
          > > where I can decode and reply to any signal displayed. I'm running
          > > with the filter set to wide and I can see signals on the waterfall
          > > from 0 to over 4k. But I thought I read that the limitation is on the
          > > transmit side.
          >
          > Do you have the IC-10 "Interface Kit" installed in your TS-440S and
          > are you controlling it from a computer?
          >
          > If you are, set VFO A (receive) to xx.076, save that frequency to VFO B
          > and engage "Split". WSJT-X 1.1 will then tune VFO B (the transmit VFO)
          > so that transmitted tones between 1000 and 2000 Hz line up with the
          > received tones. *Read* the User Guide for the WSJT-X beta:
          > www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
          > (the link was in the message announcing the beta) for further details.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > ... Joe, W4TV
          >

          > On 7/4/2013 1:06 PM, Dan wrote:
          > > Please excuse my lack of knowledge and stupid questions...but I want
          > > to learn how this stuff works...
          > >
          > > Using a TS440SAT with N, M1, M2, and W filters installed. I set the
          > > dial to 14.077.4 and the JT65-JT9 marker to 1600. I can see both
          > > JT65 and JT9 signals on the waterfall. So how do I figure out what
          > > my bandwidth is for my radio? Does bandwidth affect both receive and
          > > transmit? I'd like to setup my waterfall to only show that part of
          > > the spectrum where I can decode and reply to any signal displayed.
          > > I'm running with the filter set to wide and I can see signals on the
          > > waterfall from 0 to over 4k. But I thought I read that the
          > > limitation is on the transmit side.
          > >
          > > I'm still trying to get my bearings with v1.1 doing both JT65 and
          > > JT9. Ran some QSO's early this morning and was able to make contacts
          > > but it appeared to me that not all signals on the waterfall were
          > > decoded. Some of the JT65 signals appeared backwards to me. What I
          > > usually see with JT65 signals is the base frequency and the "data"
          > > spikes to the right of the base signal. But now I am seeing signals
          > > where the "data" appears to go to the left of the base frequency.
          > >
          > > I love having my 2 favorite programs combined...simply brilliant.
          > > Anxiously waiting JT-Alert to work with both JT65 and JT9.
          > >

          > > Dan KJ6RGX

          > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • k3wyc
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
            > Still trying to get my head wrapped around this...

            The VFO indicates the suppressed carrier frequency not the modulated RF frequency.

            The VFO B frequency increments in 1000 Hz steps as you move the TX cursor up the waterfall. Within each of those 1000 Hz windows the audio moudulation frequency will rage from suppressed carrier frequency + 1000 Hz to suppressed carrier frequency + 2000 Hz.

            If you have a second receiver then TX into a dummy load while listening to the transmitted signal on the other rig. Move the TX cursor up the waterfall in steps making a transmission at each point. If your receiver is fixed at VFO A freq you'll hear the received tone progressively increase in frequency regardless of the VFO B transmit freq. You won't be able to hear where the VFO B step changes are.

            However, if you listen to the tones being sent to the transmitter, you'll hear that they follow a sawtooth pattern, with freq increasing up to the point VFO B switches and then dropping down to start the next ramp up.

            Remember that if you transmit a single tone with an SSB rig in USB mode, the signal will have an RF frequency of suppressed carrier freq + tone modulation freq. You can put that rf signal at the same frequency with an almost infinite number of combinations of suppressed carrier frequency and modulation frequency.

            73,
            Andy k3wyc
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
              Thanks Andy, I think I follow what you're saying.

              I made some sense of this...I tried a QSO on JT9, with VFO A set at 14.076 I answered a CQ call. VFO B showed 14.078. The TX cursor was a 3709 hz. When I logged the QSO I noted the log frequency showed 14.081.709. That's what I would have expected so was good to verify my thinking was correct. So some progress is being made on my part.

              One other thing I've noticed on the waterfall, JT65 signals appear to show from 600 to below 2000 usually, but occasionally I see them above 2000. JT9 signals appear to fall in the 2700 to 3800 range. With the JT65-JT9 blue marker set at 2000 the decoded signals seem to be in the correct section of the waterfall.

              Sure hope I'm doing this right...

              Dan
              KJ6RGX

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                Hi Dan,

                KJ6RGX wrote:
                > ... I have more reading to do, I thought I understood split mode, but apparently not. I set VFO A to 14.076 and saved that to VFO B. Set the radio to split mode. I have the waterfall set to Bins=4, N Avg=5, Gain=0, Zero=2, Slope=1.5, JT65 2000 JT9. TX and RX both show 2704 Hz. I set it to transmit a JT9 CQ and watched VFO B and it tuned 14.077. I expected it to be at 14.078.704 (14076000 + 2704 = 14078704). So I am off to read the manual on split operation. Still trying to get my head wrapped around this...

                WSJT-X v1.1 takes care of this [frequency setting ] by using Split mode,
                receiving with VFO A and transmitting with VFO B. The Tx dial frequency
                (VFO B) is offset in 1000 Hz steps, and the generated audio
                frequency is adjusted so that it always falls in the range 1000 – 2000
                Hz. With CAT enabled and your transceiver set to Split mode, frequency
                control will be handled automatically.

                By setting VFO B to 14.077, the necessary audio tone frequency comes out
                as 1704 Hz -- as described, a frequency between 1000 and 2000 Hz.

                It's working as expected.

                -- Joe, K1JT
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Thanks Joe. I understand what you're saying...but...my confusion stems from attempting to setup the waterfall.

                  The manual says to use the JT65 xxxx JT9 to split where the signals are located. Below xxxx and the signals decode as JT65, above xxxx, the signals decode as JT9. So I initially set the marker at 2000. I figured 14.076 plus 2000 would be 14.078 (JT9 freq). But after watching the waterfall I moved the marker to 2500 due to seeing JT65 signals above the 2000 mark.

                  So, I'm sure the radio and WSJTX are working correctly, and since I have received responses to both JT65 and JT9 signals I am confident I am transmitting the correct frequency. But how do I know if I have the waterfall set correctly? How do you figure out what xxxx should be for the JT65 xxxx JT9 setting?

                  Dan
                  KJ6RGX

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                    On 7/4/2013 3:52 PM, Dan wrote:
                    > Thanks Joe. I understand what you're saying...but...my confusion stems from attempting to setup the waterfall.
                    >
                    > The manual says to use the JT65 xxxx JT9 to split where the signals are located. Below xxxx and the signals decode as JT65, above xxxx, the signals decode as JT9. So I initially set the marker at 2000. I figured 14.076 plus 2000 would be 14.078 (JT9 freq). But after watching the waterfall I moved the marker to 2500 due to seeing JT65 signals above the 2000 mark.
                    >
                    > So, I'm sure the radio and WSJTX are working correctly, and since I have received responses to both JT65 and JT9 signals I am confident I am transmitting the correct frequency. But how do I know if I have the waterfall set correctly? How do you figure out what xxxx should be for the JT65 xxxx JT9 setting?

                    With dial frequency = xx.076, the nominal JT65 sub-band extends from DF
                    = -1000 to +1000 on the older programs WSJT and JT65-HF. In those
                    programs, DT = 0 corresponds top audio frequency 1270 Hz. So, in the
                    terminology of WSJT-X, the sync tones of JT65 signals should be between
                    270 and 2270 Hz. JT9 should be between 3000 and 4000 Hz, although it's
                    being recommended that the lower limit should move down to 2500 Hz.

                    Sounds like a good idea to set the dividing line indicator to read
                    "JT65 2400 JT65"

                    -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                  • Hasan Schiers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Thanks to the two Joe's, (one being the author), the other W4TV, I just
                      made my first JT9 qso on 20m (or any band for that matter). Conceptually
                      I was lost, coming from JT65-HF where there is no need for a radio
                      connection w/r to frequencies in use. JT tried to explain it, but W4TV
                      made the light turn on....the radio had to be interfaced and split mode
                      is required. I just didn't get that at first reading of the docs...I
                      thought it was an option, and Joe made it clear that it was a requirement.

                      After that things made sense and I started making contacts. I opened up
                      the IF on the TS-2K and started the dual mode operation. I guessed that
                      the # and @ symbols in the monitor list were the two modes, so I clicked
                      on what I thought was JT9 because of where it fell in the waterfall and
                      the symbol in the list was different and bingo!

                      What fun. Now I get to play around ...and see if it will co-exist with
                      TRX Manager or not.

                      73, thanks so much guys!

                      ...hasan, N0AN
                    • Ed
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2013

                        I was just attempting to update my JT Alert from 2.2  to the 2.3 version and my Norton Security Suite prevented the setup from running because it is detected as  “ Suspicious behavior”.

                        Anyone else run into this issue?

                        Ed   K7AAT

                      • g4ilo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 10, 2013
                          False alarms from Norton are not unknown. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is remove the bundled Norton crapware.

                          Julian, G4ILO

                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Ed <k7aat.ed@...> wrote:

                          > I was just attempting to update my JT Alert from 2.2 to the 2.3 version and
                          > my Norton Security Suite prevented the setup from running because it is
                          > detected as " Suspicious behavior".
                          >

                          > Anyone else run into this issue?
                          >

                          > Ed K7AAT

                        • Ed
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 10, 2013

                            It is my view from years of experience   that Norton Security suite is more aggressive in detecting and preventing malware from running on one’s computer than many other security programs.  For that reason I will put up with the rare occasional issue raised in this subject.

                            Ed   K7AAT