Re: [wsjtgroup] new beta 1.1

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
      > The boxes for the freq show the freq changing, but when I monitor my
      > tones, I can tell they are not changing their base freq. 400 hz
      > sounds a lot different than 2000 hz, yet when I transmit I always
      > hear the same "anchor" for the tones.

      As the documentation for WSJT-X v1.1 r3459 indicates, the program
      *expects* that the user has implemented radio control and that the
      rig is in *split* mode. WSJT-X always generates its transmit tones
      in the range of 1000 - 2000 Hz and adjusts the transmitter frequency
      +/- the receive frequency to accommodate that.

      For example, if one has set the receiver frequency to 14.076 and is
      copying a JT65 signal at 500 Hz the program will set the *transmit*
      VFO to 14.075 and generate audio at 1500 Hz. Similarly, if one has
      a "wide band" receiver like the K3, TS-2000 or Flex and is copying
      a JT9-1 signal at 3800 Hz, the program will set the transmit VFO to
      14.078 and generate an 1800 Hz tone.

      For further information, please refer to the Users Guide:
      www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
      the extended Users Guide for v1.1 mentioned in the beta announcement:
      www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
      and change log:
      www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_changelog.txt

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 7/4/2013 6:22 AM, Hasan Schiers wrote:
      > I'm missing something obvious, I'm sure, but I have been using JT65HF
      > for years without any difficutly:
      >
      > 1. I'm not using any radio control (CAT) at all. The only way my tx and
      > rx freq change is with the audio tones generated by the program itself.
      >
      > My problem:
      >
      > I can't get the program to cause the freq of the tones to change. By
      > this I mean if it set rx and tx tones to 400 hz (low end of the
      > passband) and then call CQ, I get all my answers 1596 Khz on the
      > waterfall. If I double click on a station in the rx list to call them,
      > no matter where they are on the waterfall freq, I end up tx'ing at 1596
      > on the waterfall (and mostly don't get answers.
      >
      > Windows 7, Home Premium, never had WSJt-X installed before. Default
      > directory for the program, nothing ever installed in that directory
      > before. TS-2000, and as noted no CAT or freq control from -X, just the
      > audio tones coming out.
      >
      > The boxes for the freq show the freq changing, but when I monitor my
      > tones, I can tell they are not changing their base freq. 400 hz sounds a
      > lot different than 2000 hz, yet when I transmit I always hear the same
      > "anchor" for the tones.
      >
      > If I do nothing more than change back to JT65-HF program, everything
      > works normally and properly.
      >
      > What am I doing wrong?
      >
      > TIA, 73,
      >
      > ...hasan, N0AN

    • Bob Segrest
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013

        Hi Joe,

        Thank you for the clarification.

        I noticed that my outgoing signals were not going out on the frequency that I expected them to and had started looking into this.  Your clarification certainly explains what I have seen.

        While I am impressed with the multi-mode capability and the receive operations that have been introduced with this beta, I am going to have to confirm the CAT control for my rig (Hermes/Anan-10 running PowerSDR) and compatibility with HRD before doing anything else with it.

        Bob

        KO2F

        > The boxes for the freq show the freq changing, but when I monitor my
        > tones, I can tell they are not changing their base freq. 400 hz
        > sounds a lot different than 2000 hz, yet when I transmit I always
        > hear the same "anchor" for the tones.

        As the documentation for WSJT-X v1.1 r3459 indicates, the program
        *expects* that the user has implemented radio control and that the
        rig is in *split* mode. WSJT-X always generates its transmit tones
        in the range of 1000 - 2000 Hz and adjusts the transmitter frequency
        +/- the receive frequency to accommodate that.

        For example, if one has set the receiver frequency to 14.076 and is
        copying a JT65 signal at 500 Hz the program will set the *transmit*
        VFO to 14.075 and generate audio at 1500 Hz. Similarly, if one has
        a "wide band" receiver like the K3, TS-2000 or Flex and is copying
        a JT9-1 signal at 3800 Hz, the program will set the transmit VFO to
        14.078 and generate an 1800 Hz tone.

        For further information, please refer to the Users Guide:
        www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
        the extended Users Guide for v1.1 mentioned in the beta announcement:
        www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
        and change log:
        www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_changelog.txt

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 7/4/2013 6:22 AM, Hasan Schiers wrote:
        > I'm missing something obvious, I'm sure, but I have been using JT65HF
        > for years without any difficutly:
        >
        > 1. I'm not using any radio control (CAT) at all. The only way my tx and
        > rx freq change is with the audio tones generated by the program itself.
        >
        > My problem:
        >
        > I can't get the program to cause the freq of the tones to change. By
        > this I mean if it set rx and tx tones to 400 hz (low end of the
        > passband) and then call CQ, I get all my answers 1596 Khz on the
        > waterfall. If I double click on a station in the rx list to call them,
        > no matter where they are on the waterfall freq, I end up tx'ing at 1596
        > on the waterfall (and mostly don't get answers.
        >
        > Windows 7, Home Premium, never had WSJt-X installed before. Default
        > directory for the program, nothing ever installed in that directory
        > before. TS-2000, and as noted no CAT or freq control from -X, just the
        > audio tones coming out.
        >
        > The boxes for the freq show the freq changing, but when I monitor my
        > tones, I can tell they are not changing their base freq. 400 hz sounds a
        > lot different than 2000 hz, yet when I transmit I always hear the same
        > "anchor" for the tones.
        >
        > If I do nothing more than change back to JT65-HF program, everything
        > works normally and properly.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > TIA, 73,
        >
        > ...hasan, N0AN

      • Hasan Schiers
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
          OK, I have the software talking to the radio correctly. I need to read the info on how to set the split. I have VFO A on 14.076 and VFO B on 14.077 both USB with bandwidth 200 to 2600 hz (I can take it out further).

          Now I need to read about how the freqs are supposed to be set up.

          More later...

          tnx again,

          73,

          ...hasan, N0AN

        • Hasan Schiers
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
            I think I have it working. The problem was the program was way smarter than I was. Once I set the TS-2K for Split and hit A=B, I watched the program control the B VFO, based on where in the spectrum I clicked to answer. At that point things started working (for qsos)

            Thanks so much for your help. Lots more playing to do, now that it works.

            73,

            ...hasan, N0AN