RE: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X v1.1, beta release

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3, 2013

      Is anyone using an Elecraft KX3 on WSJT-x ?   I’m curious how that is working out  with the JT data modes.

      Ed   K7AAT

    • Jim Campbell
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 4, 2013
        Ed,

        I tried using my KX3 for WSJT-x but soon gave up. I have a marginal antenna system. The 5W output combined with the marginal antenna system just wasn't enough. I have a KX100 on order. When I get that I will try the KX3 again running 10 to 20 W. (I also have a K2/100 and have had a lot of success with WSJT-x running 10 to 20 W.)

        73, Jim - W4BQP
        Licensed in 1953

        On 7/3/2013 11:55 PM, Ed wrote:

        Is anyone using an Elecraft KX3 on WSJT-x ?   I’m curious how that is working out  with the JT data modes.

        Ed   K7AAT

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 4, 2013
          Can one assume that if you choose to operate either JT65 or JT9 alone, and not select the option to run both at the same time, will the program operate as it did before the Beta release and you would not have to be concerned with operating SPLIT mode and that the program will not perform any audio shifting as described in the manual?

          Having both modes available (separately) is good enough for me, and a welcome change to have both modes available in one program.

          Tnx
          Bob - WB2COY
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 4, 2013
            WB2COY wrote:
            > Can one assume that if you choose to operate either JT65 or JT9 alone, and not select the option to run both at the same time, will the program operate as it did before the Beta release and you would not have to be concerned with operating SPLIT mode and that the program will not perform any audio shifting as described in the manual?

            At present, no. But I agree that an option to operate in this way
            should be added. It will be done, soon.

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 4, 2013
              > Can one assume that if you choose to operate either JT65 or JT9
              > alone, and not select the option to run both at the same time,
              > will the program operate as it did before the Beta release

              JT9 will operate as it did before if one sets dial to xx.078 and
              restricts the decode bandwidth to 1000 - 2000 Hz. In that specific
              case there is no need to offset the TX frequency as the generated
              transmit tones will be the same as the receive tones.

              Similarly, one can operate the top part (DF~ -200 to +800) of the
              JT65 spectrum by setting dial frequency to xx.076. Again, the
              generated transmit tones will be the same as the receive tones and
              there will be no need to offset (split) transmit. As long as one
              moves the VFO to keep the target receive tones in the 1000-2000 Hz
              range it is not necessary to "split" on transmit.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 7/4/2013 12:18 PM, Bob wrote:

              > Can one assume that if you choose to operate either JT65 or JT9 alone, and not select the option to run both at the same time, will the program operate as it did before the Beta release and you would not have to be concerned with operating SPLIT mode and that the program will not perform any audio shifting as described in the manual?
              >
              > Having both modes available (separately) is good enough for me, and a welcome change to have both modes available in one program.
              >
              > Tnx
              > Bob - WB2COY

            • Bill Turner
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 4, 2013
                Many thanks to the development folks.

                v1.1 working great here.  IC-7000, Signalink USB, PTT on COM4.  It was amazing to see how many signals were decoded last night around 0100Z on 20m.

                Just worked three stations on 20m with no sound at all from the radio speaker.  Signal reports -08 to -16.  10w to a very bent G5RV in an inverted Vee configuration, peak at 30 ft above ground.

                Bill, W4WNT

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 8, 2013

                  Perhaps I am just not ‘getting’ the proper info from the help manual,  but I am having difficulty with the CAT connection to my IC-746Pro.

                  I am using Win7 and the new WSJT-x  version 1.1 Beta  with a SignLink USB interface (with VOX PTT).     I am successfully making contacts….  And with the multi mode setup for both JT-65 and JT-9,  and my transceiver set for split control,  that function seems to be working, too.

                  This is my problem:

                  In the configuration menu I set up my IC-746Pro for CAT operation….and the “test CAT Control” button returns a “ Rig control appears to be working…”  message. … and the proper frequency is displayed in the Rx window.    However,  when I either move the Receiver dial frequency,  OR  I just transmit in SPLIT operation,  the CAT control becomes disabled ,  an error message pops up saying,  “Rig control error 0  Failed to read frequency”   and my  rig frequency display goes to all zeros in a bright red background.   I have to go back into Configuration window and then re-check the box for CAT control.

                    I do have my polling set to 1 second.

                  Any ideas why I am having this problem?

                  Ed   K7AAT

                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 8, 2013
                    > However, when I either move the Receiver dial frequency, OR I just
                    > transmit in SPLIT operation, the CAT control becomes disabled , an
                    > error message pops up saying, "Rig control error 0 Failed to read
                    > frequency" and my rig frequency display goes to all zeros in a bright
                    > red background. I have to go back into Configuration window and then
                    > re-check the box for CAT control.

                    Have you *disabled* "CI-V Transceive" (General Set Mode #38)? Icom
                    "babbles" when changing frequency and WSJT-X can not handle the
                    unexpected data on the CAT port.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    On 7/8/2013 8:24 PM, Ed wrote:

                    > Perhaps I am just not 'getting' the proper info from the help manual, but I
                    > am having difficulty with the CAT connection to my IC-746Pro.
                    >

                    > I am using Win7 and the new WSJT-x version 1.1 Beta with a SignLink USB
                    > interface (with VOX PTT). I am successfully making contacts.. And with
                    > the multi mode setup for both JT-65 and JT-9, and my transceiver set for
                    > split control, that function seems to be working, too.
                    >

                    > This is my problem:
                    >

                    > In the configuration menu I set up my IC-746Pro for CAT operation..and the
                    > "test CAT Control" button returns a " Rig control appears to be working."
                    > message. . and the proper frequency is displayed in the Rx window.
                    > However, when I either move the Receiver dial frequency, OR I just
                    > transmit in SPLIT operation, the CAT control becomes disabled , an error
                    > message pops up saying, "Rig control error 0 Failed to read frequency"
                    > and my rig frequency display goes to all zeros in a bright red background.
                    > I have to go back into Configuration window and then re-check the box for
                    > CAT control.
                    >

                    > I do have my polling set to 1 second.
                    >

                    > Any ideas why I am having this problem?
                    >

                    > Ed K7AAT

                  • Ed
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 8, 2013
                      Is THAT in the help file? If so, I missed it.

                      THANK YOU for the quick and easy solution. I would never have figured that
                      out myself.

                      Ed K7AAT

                      On 7/8/2013 8:24 PM, Ed wrote:

                      > Perhaps I am just not 'getting' the proper info from the help manual,
                      > but I am having difficulty with the CAT connection to my IC-746Pro.
                      >

                      > I am using Win7 and the new WSJT-x version 1.1 Beta with a SignLink USB
                      > interface (with VOX PTT). I am successfully making contacts.. And
                      with
                      > the multi mode setup for both JT-65 and JT-9, and my transceiver set
                      > for split control, that function seems to be working, too.
                      >

                      > This is my problem:
                      >

                      > In the configuration menu I set up my IC-746Pro for CAT operation..and
                      > the "test CAT Control" button returns a " Rig control appears to be
                      working."
                      > message. . and the proper frequency is displayed in the Rx window.
                      > However, when I either move the Receiver dial frequency, OR I just
                      > transmit in SPLIT operation, the CAT control becomes disabled , an
                      > error message pops up saying, "Rig control error 0 Failed to read
                      frequency"
                      > and my rig frequency display goes to all zeros in a bright red
                      background.
                      > I have to go back into Configuration window and then re-check the box
                      > for CAT control.
                      >

                      > I do have my polling set to 1 second.
                      >

                      > Any ideas why I am having this problem?
                      >

                      > Ed K7AAT

                    • Tony VK2AJF
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 10, 2013

                        Thanks Joe S, that setting seems to have been behind the CAT problems WSJT-X was having with my Icom rigs. WSJT-X's built-in CAT now works fine.  The software certainly is sensitive to activity on the CAT port.

                        II can also export that I am still having no success getting the software to work with HRD, where the TX and RX frequencies become reversed.

                        Cheers,

                        Tony VK2AJF