Re: [wsjtgroup] Dial Frequency For Beta v1.1

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 5:20 PM
      Hi Sam,

      NW9T wrote:
      > I see the default frequencies are set for the JT9 frequencies, ie 20 meters 14.078, do we set our dial for that frequency or drop it to 14.077 to give equal coverage of JT65 and FT9? Maybe it's just because not use to it yet but looks lop sided on on graph with a lot of unused space on far right and not a lot of room in comparison to JT65a. Then maybe that's just they way the transmissions are right now. I haven't tried transmitting yet, just receiving and have run into zero issues.

      You didn't mention what Rx bandwidth you are using, which is an
      important issue. See items 13 and 14, pages 11-12 of the User's Guide.
      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf

      Briefly: if you have at least 4 kHz of Rx bandwidth, on 20 m set your Rx
      dial to 14.076 and the JT65 and JT9 sub-bands will both be available.
      (You can reset the default frequencies on the Configuration screen. The
      program will remember your changed values)

      If you have only 2.5 kHz or so, it's probably best to concentrate on
      either JT65 or JT9, rather than both. Use 14.076 for JT65, 14.078 for JT9.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • k3wyc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 5:51 PM
        > I see the default frequencies are set for the JT9 frequencies, ie 20 meters 14.078, do we set our dial for that frequency or drop it to 14.077 to give equal coverage of JT65 and FT9?

        My first attempt to reply went somewhere else.

        I set all the freqs for the bands I use to the JT65 freq. DF zero is 14076 for 20m. My TS-590S allows over 4500Hz of flat response so that gave full coverage of JT65 and JT9 and worked well for me.

        73,

        Andy k3wyc
      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 6:07 PM
          JT9 users may want to consider migrating activity *down* 500 Hz -
          to xx.078500 - xx.079500 (xx.077500 dial frequency). It will make
          "wideband" operation a bit easier on rigs limited to 2.7 KHz and
          get away from the RTTY activity that sets at xx.080 mark spilling
          down to xx.079800.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 7/3/2013 8:20 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
          > Hi Sam,
          >
          > NW9T wrote:
          >> I see the default frequencies are set for the JT9 frequencies, ie 20 meters 14.078, do we set our dial for that frequency or drop it to 14.077 to give equal coverage of JT65 and FT9? Maybe it's just because not use to it yet but looks lop sided on on graph with a lot of unused space on far right and not a lot of room in comparison to JT65a. Then maybe that's just they way the transmissions are right now. I haven't tried transmitting yet, just receiving and have run into zero issues.
          >
          > You didn't mention what Rx bandwidth you are using, which is an
          > important issue. See items 13 and 14, pages 11-12 of the User's Guide.
          > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf
          >
          > Briefly: if you have at least 4 kHz of Rx bandwidth, on 20 m set your Rx
          > dial to 14.076 and the JT65 and JT9 sub-bands will both be available.
          > (You can reset the default frequencies on the Configuration screen. The
          > program will remember your changed values)
          >
          > If you have only 2.5 kHz or so, it's probably best to concentrate on
          > either JT65 or JT9, rather than both. Use 14.076 for JT65, 14.078 for JT9.
          >
          > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        • Brian D
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4 3:46 AM
            "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

            > JT9 users may want to consider migrating activity *down* 500 Hz - to
            > xx.078500 - xx.079500 (xx.077500 dial frequency). It will make "wideband"
            > operation a bit easier on rigs limited to 2.7 KHz and get away from the
            > RTTY activity that sets at xx.080 mark spilling down to xx.079800.

            This sounds an excellent idea. I currently usually have a 2.25khz bandwidth
            for JT9 (sometimes I reduce it to 1khz) and very occasionally hear JT65
            signals at the low end, so I find the 500hz below the current JT9 segment
            almost empty.

            My only concern of the new "dual mode" is the possible swamping of weak
            signals by more local single hop/sporadic E signals visible in the wider
            bandwidth, but I can then reduce the bandwidth or otherwise filter the
            signal.

            --
            Brian D
            G3VGZ