Problems setting up with K3 and Microkeyer 2

  • KeithH
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
      I have followed the setup instructions for my K3 and microkeyer 2 and think I am close however every time I launch wsjt latest version the program goes into transmit and I have to close the program to get it to stop. I selected the proper transmit and receive inputs to the program but am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried getting this to work over two weekends and not sure what to do next. I apologize for the dumb question as this is probably something simple.

      Keith
      AK6ZZ
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
        *Uncheck* "Sound card PTT" on the PTT tab in microHAM Router. All of
        K1JT's software opens the sound card for transmit when it starts and
        does not close the sound card until the program is terminated (e.g.,
        streaming mode).

        The chip used in "microHAM CODEC" has an output that indicates when the
        device is "open"; that signal is used by the controller to generate a
        PTT signal for software that does not provide the ability to toggle RTS
        on a serial port. "Sound card PTT" should be enabled only for specific
        software that does not provide a separate hardware PTT.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 6/29/2013 9:11 AM, KeithH wrote:
        > I have followed the setup instructions for my K3 and microkeyer 2 and think I am close however every time I launch wsjt latest version the program goes into transmit and I have to close the program to get it to stop. I selected the proper transmit and receive inputs to the program but am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried getting this to work over two weekends and not sure what to do next. I apologize for the dumb question as this is probably something simple.
        >
        > Keith
        > AK6ZZ

      • John Nogatch
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
          Several times, I have had the Elecraft K3 become stuck in transmit
          mode, after the first transmission from wsjtx.

          This is with wsjtx->Setup->Configure->PTT=CAT

          The fix was to set the K3 CONFIG:PTT_KEY=off_off

          This has happened to me several times, because for CW contests using
          N1MM, I set K3 CONFIG:PTT_KEY=off_dtr.

          The Elecraft K3 "Owner's Manual" p. 64 "Troubleshooting" "Transmit"
          "TX LED on all the time" lists other possible causes for stuck
          transmit.

          Also, I find that the easiest way to escape from my stuck transmit
          situation is to exit wsjtx and run fldigi.

          Both wsjtx and fldigi use hamlib; I have not yet discovered why fldigi
          seems to be more effective at preventing stuck transmit.

          I do not have any experience with Microkeyer 2, but perhaps the above
          info will help.

          -John AC6SL
        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
            I've never had that happen. I'm using CAT PTT and have CONFIG:PTT-KEY set to RTS-OFF. The usual cause of K3 stuck in transmit is having VOX enabled in addition to a PTT method.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, John Nogatch <jnogatch@...> wrote:

            > Several times, I have had the Elecraft K3 become stuck in transmit
            > mode, after the first transmission from wsjtx.
            >
            > This is with wsjtx->Setup->Configure->PTT=CAT
            >
            > The fix was to set the K3 CONFIG:PTT_KEY=off_off
            >
            > This has happened to me several times, because for CW contests using
            > N1MM, I set K3 CONFIG:PTT_KEY=off_dtr.
            >
            > The Elecraft K3 "Owner's Manual" p. 64 "Troubleshooting" "Transmit"
            > "TX LED on all the time" lists other possible causes for stuck
            > transmit.
            >
            > Also, I find that the easiest way to escape from my stuck transmit
            > situation is to exit wsjtx and run fldigi.
            >
            > Both wsjtx and fldigi use hamlib; I have not yet discovered why fldigi
            > seems to be more effective at preventing stuck transmit.
            >
            > I do not have any experience with Microkeyer 2, but perhaps the above
            > info will help.
            >
            > -John AC6SL

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2013
              Actually the most common cause of a "stuck" K3 is trying to use both
              command (CAT) and hardware (RTS/DTR) PTT at the same time. The K3
              has a nasty little race problem that occurs when one or the other PTT
              source turns off within a few milliseconds of the the other - the
              processor misses the second PTT off - which leaves the K3 hung in TX.

              The K3 is not the only transceiver to have this problem - it happens
              with Icom as well.

              The best solution is to ignore command PTT and always use hardware
              (RTS) as it is far less susceptible to timing issues, data corruption
              or RF induced lock-up.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV