Re: how much power is appropriate on 6 meters JT9?

  • Thomas F Giella W4HM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
      No matter the 6 meter radio wave propagation mode or conditions 5 watts is
      all that you need with JT9 to make a successful QSO. I make many 6 meter
      QSO's using JT-9 with as little as 1 watt.

      1500 watts, even 100 watts would more than likely wipe out the waterfall
      for most ham's on the receiving end.

      Just my .05 cents due to inflation.

      73 & GUD DX,
      Thomas F. Giella W4HM
      Lakeland, FL, USA
      w4hm@...

      BARTG #8531
      PODXS 070 #349
      FELD HELD #141
      30MDG # 691
      DMC #1243
      WARC-CC #20

      W4HM Amateur Radio & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
        Lets not confuse "Weak signal" with "Low power"

        A typical single hop sporadicE opening on 6M will produce very strong high-angle signals,so a simple dipole antenna and low power is often sufficient.
        But with such strong signals, why not use SSB?

        When the Es "season" is over and propogation is reduced to weak troposcatter, thats when JT9 comes into its own.
        You may then also need a better antenna and a bit more power.

        JT9 works fine on 6M, but does not like any doppler spread caused by multipath or meteor reflections,
        - ISCAT-B or JT6M will perform better in those conditions.

        John
        GW4MBN

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas F Giella W4HM" <w4hm@...> wrote:

        > No matter the 6 meter radio wave propagation mode or conditions 5 watts is
        > all that you need with JT9 to make a successful QSO. I make many 6 meter
        > QSO's using JT-9 with as little as 1 watt.
        >
        > 1500 watts, even 100 watts would more than likely wipe out the waterfall
        > for most ham's on the receiving end.
        >
        > Just my .05 cents due to inflation.
        >
        > 73 & GUD DX,
        > Thomas F. Giella W4HM
        > Lakeland, FL, USA
        > w4hm@...
        >
        > BARTG #8531
        > PODXS 070 #349
        > FELD HELD #141
        > 30MDG # 691
        > DMC #1243
        > WARC-CC #20
        >
        > W4HM Amateur Radio & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org

      • Jim Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
          On 6/13/2013 10:26 AM, Thomas F Giella W4HM wrote:
          > 1500 watts, even 100 watts would more than likely wipe out the waterfall
          > for most ham's on the receiving end.

          When that happens, the receiving station may need a better receiver.

          There are detailed reviews of the technical capabilities of most
          currently available transceivers on the ARRL website, as well as on Rob
          Sherwood's website.

          I agree completely with Lance -- the WSJT modes are WEAK SIGNAL modes,
          NOT QRP modes. Signals can be weak because the propagation path is
          difficult, or because the stations involved have poor antennas, or
          because they CHOOSE to run QRP. One of the principal uses of WSJT modes
          is to work paths that have VERY high losses, and need the combination of
          high power, great antennas, and the noise immunity of these modes to
          have a chance of making a QSO.

          A station running high power as two obligations -- to stay out of the
          way of others already using a given frequency, and by keeping their
          transmitted signal CLEAN. Most rigs that get blown away be strong
          signals also put out dirty signals -- that is, they take up more than
          their share of bandwidth.

          To have a clean signal, we must have a clean transceiver, a clean power
          amp, and we must carefully tune the power amp for minimum distortion.
          This is an obligation. Running QRP is a CHOICE, not a requirement.

          73, Jim K9YC