VSP Mgr isn't for K3

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hey WSJT Group:

      I really forgot who it was that answered my question about a program to
      listen to my K3 and allow other programs to simultaneously read/write
      data to it.

      A Virtual Serial Port Emulator, Or Virtual Serial Port Manager, if you
      will.

      Somebody suggested I try VSP Manager. I find no way to make VSPMGR allow
      DXLabs Commander to ever speak to the K3. When I have asked for help on
      their forums , the question has remained totally unanswered. Most
      discussion and all "Help" reading is over Flex-radios.

      VSPE, which I have for the 64 bit win-7, does not, for some reason,
      function too swell with DX-Labs Commander. And it certainly doesn’t work,
      here, when I toss in a third and forth program wishing to talk to the
      K3.

      Since it's absurd to think those two programs wouldn't work with the K3
      and multiple Virtual Ports looking at COM4, for example, then I have it
      all set incorrectly. Their forums are unable to reply, so I am asking
      again if anyone runs multiple programs to a rig while using some sort
      of Virtual Serial Port Emulator?

      And if so, would you please write to me directly and explain how I can
      do the same.

      thanks

      --

      Bob KD7YZ
      http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013

        VSPMG is only a Virtual comm. port manager it is used to simulate COMM PORTS PAIRING!

        Example comm 5 is one side and the other side comm. 15

        So one program is set to comm. 5 and the other set to comm. 15

        But you’re still missing another important piece and that is a program which is an RCP

        For us Flex guys that is a program or utility called DDUTIL

        I am not aware that it will work with other radios as it is geared toward PSDR (the Flex software) but if there is something similar than that is what you need

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
          It ain't gonna happen with *any* serial port splitter and WSJT-X.
          WSJT-X (or hamlib) is simply too fiddley about what it will accept
          and what causes it to hang or crash. If WSJT-X does not get the
          response it expects immediately, it hangs ... if it sees data it does
          not expect/recognize it will often crash. An unmanaged splitter can
          not prevent these problems. A "managed" splitter like LP-Bridge does
          part of its management by blocking certain commands which causes other
          problems (for Commander, in particular).

          The only way you are going to be able to run both WSJT-X and Commander
          with rig control is for WSJT-X to interface to Commander using the new
          IP interface AA6YQ is implementing, using Commander's DDE interface or
          by connecting to Commander's Secondary CAT Serial Port (which also
          fails in my testing).

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 6/12/2013 7:13 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
          > Hey WSJT Group:
          >
          > I really forgot who it was that answered my question about a program to
          > listen to my K3 and allow other programs to simultaneously read/write
          > data to it.
          >
          > A Virtual Serial Port Emulator, Or Virtual Serial Port Manager, if you
          > will.
          >
          > Somebody suggested I try VSP Manager. I find no way to make VSPMGR allow
          > DXLabs Commander to ever speak to the K3. When I have asked for help on
          > their forums , the question has remained totally unanswered. Most
          > discussion and all "Help" reading is over Flex-radios.
          >
          > VSPE, which I have for the 64 bit win-7, does not, for some reason,
          > function too swell with DX-Labs Commander. And it certainly doesn’t work,
          > here, when I toss in a third and forth program wishing to talk to the
          > K3.
          >
          > Since it's absurd to think those two programs wouldn't work with the K3
          > and multiple Virtual Ports looking at COM4, for example, then I have it
          > all set incorrectly. Their forums are unable to reply, so I am asking
          > again if anyone runs multiple programs to a rig while using some sort
          > of Virtual Serial Port Emulator?
          >
          > And if so, would you please write to me directly and explain how I can
          > do the same.
          >
          > thanks

        • Sam Morgan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
            I run LP-Bridge with my K3
            which some have trashed as an inferior (free) virtual port emulator

            main drawback I know is.......
            you can NOT use the K3 Utility through one of LP-Bridge's virtual ports.

            This is mainly to protect the K3's firmware
            from getting fubared during an upgrade (or other interaction),
            due to an interruption from one of the other virtual ports
            bumping heads with the data stream at a critical time.

            Pretty simple fix, if you need to use the K3 Utility,
            turn off all the other pgms accessing the K3 through LP-Bridge,
            also turn off LP-Bridge, then connect with the K3 Utility only.

            Personally I have mixed results with LP-Bridge
            I can go for days and everything works fine,
            then I hit a streak where the pgm crashes repeatedly for unknown reasons
            you can just restart the pgm and it works again
            but it can get annoying when it does it.

            ymmv

            --

            GB & 73
            K5OAI
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
              I don't get it either.  How come Fldigi works with PowerSDR using two paired ports, but WSJT does not ?  I cab get Fldigi to evoke PowerSDR to PTT a Flex.

              Andy K3UK
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
                Hi Bob,

                WSJT-X will soon support rig control via Commander. However... I will
                be away from home for the next 10 days, so most likely "soon" means
                somewhere around the end of June. If you need it faster: well, WSJT-X
                is open-source code, and we're always looking for contributions from
                others. :-)

                -- Joe, K1JT

                On 6/12/2013 7:13 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
                > Hey WSJT Group:
                >
                > I really forgot who it was that answered my question about a program to
                > listen to my K3 and allow other programs to simultaneously read/write
                > data to it.
                >
                > A Virtual Serial Port Emulator, Or Virtual Serial Port Manager, if you
                > will.
                >
                > Somebody suggested I try VSP Manager. I find no way to make VSPMGR allow
                > DXLabs Commander to ever speak to the K3. When I have asked for help on
                > their forums , the question has remained totally unanswered. Most
                > discussion and all "Help" reading is over Flex-radios.
                >
                > VSPE, which I have for the 64 bit win-7, does not, for some reason,
                > function too swell with DX-Labs Commander. And it certainly doesn’t work,
                > here, when I toss in a third and forth program wishing to talk to the
                > K3.
                >
                > Since it's absurd to think those two programs wouldn't work with the K3
                > and multiple Virtual Ports looking at COM4, for example, then I have it
                > all set incorrectly. Their forums are unable to reply, so I am asking
                > again if anyone runs multiple programs to a rig while using some sort
                > of Virtual Serial Port Emulator?
                >
                > And if so, would you please write to me directly and explain how I can
                > do the same.
                >
                > thanks

              • KD7YZ Bob
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 12, 2013
                  On Wednesday Cinci sent, on a straight key:
                  > VSPMG is only a Virtual comm. port manager it is used to simulate COMM PORTS PAIRING!

                  > For us Flex guys that is a program or utility called DDUTIL

                  thanks! I was tending to believe that was the case. DDUtil just didn't do
                  a thing with the K3 yet I'd been told to try it.

                  LPBRidge, is like stated. great until somebody waves a wand and
                  electrons flow backwards. I seemed to have most days where the computer
                  just hung up as compared to seeing a good opening and getting on without
                  flaw.

                  I'll await DXLabs and JT's superb work. You reach an age where
                  operating is wonderful and soothing. Design and redesign is antagonistic,
                  to me. at an old decrepit age anyway.