Re: [wsjtgroup] 222Mhz Cheaply for WSJT?

  • Anthony Ferguson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 1:16 PM
      Hello Jim ,

      I was just thinking about whether or not my Idea would work then I figured that it would work. Your right the radio will be the exciter and I don't know why I thought that it would be a proble for me to work that band with the set up I was thinking about.

      Now I'm looking for all the information I can get my hands on about transverters. I have the article from the internet on how to convert an existing transverter to another band.

      I would like to ask you this . How hard was it for you to build your transverter and do you have the information? Are you able to operate the other modes CW, SSB and FM etc?  I would like to look at it and consider all aspects of this project before jumping in the deep end. Would you mind sending me the plans , parts list , schematic diagram ?

      I looking for something I can either build from scratch or convert or last buy straight out already wired and tested.

      If you do send me the plans I will be more than glad to reimburse the expense of the postage and paper of printing and such.

      Let me know you decision please . THank you 73 de KB4ZGO

      jim bennett <jimbennett@...> wrote:
      A transverter will work fine...all interfacing is still done at the exciter (706). I use a Homebrew 222 transverter with a FT-817.

      jim
      K4KAE
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 2:32 PM
        Hi Tony, building a transverter is a fairly complex task. I have been building them since the 60's when the only way to get on was to build it yourself. The current 222 transverter design is in my head. It has a xmit board, a rcv board, a GaAsFET preamp board, a local osc chain board and a 10 watt amp board, all of which are custom etched Printed Circuit boards. Getting on 222 is not easy or cheap no matter how you do it. One thing to remember, you must safely reduce your 706 power and keep it low, my xvtr requires 5 milliwatts of drive. Search the web, QST had an article for a 222 xvtr within the last few years.

        73 es gud luck
        jim K4KAE

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 4:12 PM
          Stick with the Elecraft transverters...

          they are the best...stay away from DownEast Microwave.....

          The transverter will allow all the modes you main rig has....

                    Brian w3eme

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 7:23 AM
            RE: [wsjtgroup] 222Mhz Cheaply for WSJT?

            For portable 222 operation I built the transverter by Paul Wade W1GHZ that was published in QST. Its also available online at http://www.w1ghz.cx/222xvtr/222.htm. Mine produces around 5W which when attentuated drives a surplus PA I found on ebay for $20 to 100W, which has produced wsjt qsos

            Dave

            Ww2r

[...]

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ELTolB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Anthony Ferguson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3 8:57 AM
              Hello David
              thanks for the information ,
              I may go that route , not sure yet  I have an ICOM 706MK2G and the power out put is 5 watts on low power but don't know how easy it will be to work a transvertsr on 222 mhz and using the alc from the rig .

              The reason Why I say this is my sound card uses the I/O port which is a 13 pin plug and works keying the rig for WSJT so I don't know how the heck I am would get this to work. .

              Maybe my efforts are furitless. I trying though. How easy was it to build this transverter? and the cost to build if you can remember ? thanks.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3 3:58 PM
                As far as transvertes go.. I would highly recoment Downeast Microwave .
                They have atenuators.. preamps.. amps.. anything u would need to get on
                the band.
                -Steve