Re: [wsjtgroup] In the works for WSJT-X

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 25 , May 11, 1935
      Do you have plans to make the JT65A decoder as sensitive as the one in WSJT9? The
      one in MAP65 appears to be a couple dB less sensitive than the highly optimized
      decoder in WSJT. MNI TNX for this exciting evolution of the user interface! VY
      73, Lance

      On 6/9/2013 2:31 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
      > A quick follow-up to my first message in this thread. The JT65 decoder
      > is now installed in WSJT-X and working well. See the screen shot at
      >
      > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_1.1b.png
      >
      > for a few early results. JT65 decodes are marked with "#".
      >
      > -- Joe, K1JT

      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
      P.O. Box 73
      Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
      USA
      TEL: (406) 626-5728
      QTH: DN27ub
      Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
      Skype: lanceW7GJ
      2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

      page (above)!
      Message 2 of 25 , May 11, 1935
        Hi Lance,

        W7GJ wrote:
        > Do you have plans to make the JT65A decoder as sensitive as the one in
        > WSJT9? The one in MAP65 appears to be a couple dB less sensitive than
        > the highly optimized decoder in WSJT.

        What's the basis for your assertion that MAP65 is "a couple dB less
        sensitive than the highly optimized decoder in WSJT"? Or your
        implication that the decoder in MAP65 is any less highly optimized?

        Such impressions have never stood up to close examination.

        Of course I've made exhaustive comparisons among the various decoding
        algorithms and their implementation myself -- many times. I will be
        doing so again with the JT65 decoder in WSJT-X.

        For a wholly independent look at the question by W3SZ, see the detailed
        experiment and analysis on his web site:
        http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/LinradMAP65Statistics.htm

        The bottom-line conclusion from W3SZ:

        "The MAP65 Decoder on same frequency as the WSJT Decoder at same time as
        the WSJT Decoder decoded about 10% of messages WSJT did not, and WSJT
        decoded about 10% of messages that MAP65 did not."

        The W3SZ test was based on observations of EME signals on 144 MHz, made
        during the 2013 ARRL EME Contest. I have demonstrated the same thing,
        to my own satisfaction, in a laboratory setting. It's good to see that
        real-world results are fully consistent with expectations.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
        Message 3 of 25 , May 12, 1935
          Hi Joe,

          Thanks for the reassuring guidance! I have not tried MAP65 for a couple years, and
          the last time I tried it, I found that it was a couple dB less sensitive than
          JT65A. However, it sounds like I may not have had my settings optimized in
          SDR-RADIO or my SDR-IQ. I will try to install the most recent version of MAP65
          again after Es season is over and make a new comparison here on 6m EME.

          Best wishes for a great summer and thanks again for all your wonderful work on this
          sensitive software! VY 73, Lance