Re: [wsjtgroup] Re: In the works for WSJT-X

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 10, 2013
      You don't use the wider filter for transmit.

      In a previous response, K1JT wrote:
      >> WSJT-X v1.1 handles this already. If it wants to transmit at, say,
      >> 3472 Hz it sets XIT to +2000 Hz and the Tx audio tones start at
      >> 1472 Hz.
      >>
      >> I've been using it this way for a week or so. Works fine.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 6/10/2013 8:47 AM, g4ilo wrote:
      > But that's only for RX. My K3 Utility doesn't have an option to select a wider filter for Data TX. Having a wider bandwidth on RX than TX makes it likely that you'll transmit out of the TX filter passband.
      >
      > Julian, G4ILO
      >
      > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Simply enable them in data modes. It's fairly obvious when using
      >> the Elecraft K3 Utility and can be done from the menu system by
      >> selecting data mode, then CONFIG:FL# ON for the appropriate filter
      >> slot.

    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 10, 2013
        Do you have plans to make the JT65A decoder as sensitive as the one in WSJT9? The
        one in MAP65 appears to be a couple dB less sensitive than the highly optimized
        decoder in WSJT. MNI TNX for this exciting evolution of the user interface! VY
        73, Lance

        On 6/9/2013 2:31 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
        > A quick follow-up to my first message in this thread. The JT65 decoder
        > is now installed in WSJT-X and working well. See the screen shot at
        >
        > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_1.1b.png
        >
        > for a few early results. JT65 decodes are marked with "#".
        >
        > -- Joe, K1JT

        Lance Collister, W7GJ
        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
        P.O. Box 73
        Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
        USA
        TEL: (406) 626-5728
        QTH: DN27ub
        Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
        Skype: lanceW7GJ
        2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

        page (above)!
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 10, 2013
          Hi Lance,

          W7GJ wrote:
          > Do you have plans to make the JT65A decoder as sensitive as the one in
          > WSJT9? The one in MAP65 appears to be a couple dB less sensitive than
          > the highly optimized decoder in WSJT.

          What's the basis for your assertion that MAP65 is "a couple dB less
          sensitive than the highly optimized decoder in WSJT"? Or your
          implication that the decoder in MAP65 is any less highly optimized?

          Such impressions have never stood up to close examination.

          Of course I've made exhaustive comparisons among the various decoding
          algorithms and their implementation myself -- many times. I will be
          doing so again with the JT65 decoder in WSJT-X.

          For a wholly independent look at the question by W3SZ, see the detailed
          experiment and analysis on his web site:
          http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/LinradMAP65Statistics.htm

          The bottom-line conclusion from W3SZ:

          "The MAP65 Decoder on same frequency as the WSJT Decoder at same time as
          the WSJT Decoder decoded about 10% of messages WSJT did not, and WSJT
          decoded about 10% of messages that MAP65 did not."

          The W3SZ test was based on observations of EME signals on 144 MHz, made
          during the 2013 ARRL EME Contest. I have demonstrated the same thing,
          to my own satisfaction, in a laboratory setting. It's good to see that
          real-world results are fully consistent with expectations.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • Lance Collister, W7GJ
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 11, 2013
            Hi Joe,

            Thanks for the reassuring guidance! I have not tried MAP65 for a couple years, and
            the last time I tried it, I found that it was a couple dB less sensitive than
            JT65A. However, it sounds like I may not have had my settings optimized in
            SDR-RADIO or my SDR-IQ. I will try to install the most recent version of MAP65
            again after Es season is over and make a new comparison here on 6m EME.

            Best wishes for a great summer and thanks again for all your wonderful work on this
            sensitive software! VY 73, Lance