Question about unassisted QSOs

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2004
      If someone is calling CQ with a grid, e.g. 'CQ K9SQL EM69', should your
      report be RST (26/27) or grid square (EM69)? What is the format for
      a report with grid square 'CCCCC EM69 K9SQL EM69EM69' ?

      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL
      Bloomington, Indiana US

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2004
          Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
          reports. Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally. To send
          Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
          into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
          button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
          info on Rally go to http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

          73's
          Terry
          WA3LTB
          EN92ta
        • bbrackin@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2004
            > Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
            > reports.   Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally.  To send
            > Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
            > into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
            > button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
            > info on Rally go to   http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

            Thanks, Terry and Bruce.  You verified what I understood to be the
            correct operation.  The reason I was asking is that I was having a QSO
            with VE3CGR and this is sequence:

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2004
              Bob, you are correct that it is incomplete, for 2 reasons. Wrong call, and
              you never received any roger from him. When you saw that he was sending the
              wrong call, you should not send a report to him, because sending the report
              means "I have copied both calls correctly". Instead send "MMMM" or maybe
              "MYCALL MYCALL" until he fixes the call (or you give up).

              When you finally do receive the call correctly then you send a report. For
              the Rally, if you send a grid as report, but he responds with a numeric
              report then you need to send "YOUR GRID" or "GRID?" until he fixes his
              report. This happened to me at 5:00 am this morning when I was too
              bleary-eyed to notice that I had not changed the report. The station I was
              working sent "GRID?" and I fixed it and we completed.

              Hope this helps,

              73, Russ K2TXB