RE: [wsjtgroup] VK - WSJT

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2004

      Interesting observations on meteor scatter distances…

      Snip: It's interesting to observe that there seems to be a Meteor Scatter "Brick
      Wall" at a bit over 2400km.

      My personal best distance using meteor scatter is 2230km. The other day I copied a strong ping from

      K2TXB a distance of 2339km. The “Brick Wall” as you call it is probably somewhere around the 2400km

      distance and very real. Here I often see the 1931km or 1200 mile distance spoken of as a “barrier”.

      Meaning it is more difficult to work distances over 1200 miles requiring more time, schedules and a

      major meteor shower doesn’t hurt either. The barrier like the brick wall is not fixed and will move

      slightly a few miles which makes it all interesting.  Distances less than 1100 miles I tend to think

      of as “automatic” during morning hours except for close stations where back scatter is necessary.

      I find more rocks available for 50MHz but it appears the “barrier” and “brick wall” distances are the same

      for both bands?

      GL

      Tip

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2004
        If someone is calling CQ with a grid, e.g. 'CQ K9SQL EM69', should your
        report be RST (26/27) or grid square (EM69)? What is the format for
        a report with grid square 'CCCCC EM69 K9SQL EM69EM69' ?

        --
        Bob Poortinga K9SQL
        Bloomington, Indiana US

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2004
            Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
            reports. Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally. To send
            Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
            into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
            button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
            info on Rally go to http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

            73's
            Terry
            WA3LTB
            EN92ta
          • bbrackin@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2004
              > Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
              > reports.   Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally.  To send
              > Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
              > into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
              > button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
              > info on Rally go to   http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

              Thanks, Terry and Bruce.  You verified what I understood to be the
              correct operation.  The reason I was asking is that I was having a QSO
              with VE3CGR and this is sequence:

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                Bob, you are correct that it is incomplete, for 2 reasons. Wrong call, and
                you never received any roger from him. When you saw that he was sending the
                wrong call, you should not send a report to him, because sending the report
                means "I have copied both calls correctly". Instead send "MMMM" or maybe
                "MYCALL MYCALL" until he fixes the call (or you give up).

                When you finally do receive the call correctly then you send a report. For
                the Rally, if you send a grid as report, but he responds with a numeric
                report then you need to send "YOUR GRID" or "GRID?" until he fixes his
                report. This happened to me at 5:00 am this morning when I was too
                bleary-eyed to notice that I had not changed the report. The station I was
                working sent "GRID?" and I fixed it and we completed.

                Hope this helps,

                73, Russ K2TXB