VK - WSJT

  • Leigh Rainbird
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 10:11 PM
      G'day

      Rex VK7MO was about 2360 km from my QTH this morning and despite FSK441b
      attempts from about 5.50am (after an early morning wake up call from Rex),
      nothing was copied at either end.

      Rex was at Norseman (PF07vt) - a distance of 2209km from VK3HZ at Melbourne.
      Rex did complete with Ron VK3AFW and David VK3HZ. Several good, big burns
      were heard.

      It's interesting to observe that there seems to be a Meteor Scatter "Brick
      Wall" at a bit over 2400km. Rex succeeded over 2336km, one ping at 2423km
      and nothing at 2452km. I guess 1200km must be the furthest that a meteor
      burn can be "seen".

      JT44 tropo tests last week from here to Garry VK5ZK at Goolwa, south of
      Adelaide @ 754 km were very promising. Each time we have run a test I have
      been dropping the power. I think Garry has been maintaining his 100w.
      Last test on Wednesday evening (?) we easily completed and I was running 20
      watts for the whole contact. I'll try for 10w next time.

      Regards

      Leigh VK2KRR
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2004

        Interesting observations on meteor scatter distances…

        Snip: It's interesting to observe that there seems to be a Meteor Scatter "Brick
        Wall" at a bit over 2400km.

        My personal best distance using meteor scatter is 2230km. The other day I copied a strong ping from

        K2TXB a distance of 2339km. The “Brick Wall” as you call it is probably somewhere around the 2400km

        distance and very real. Here I often see the 1931km or 1200 mile distance spoken of as a “barrier”.

        Meaning it is more difficult to work distances over 1200 miles requiring more time, schedules and a

        major meteor shower doesn’t hurt either. The barrier like the brick wall is not fixed and will move

        slightly a few miles which makes it all interesting.  Distances less than 1100 miles I tend to think

        of as “automatic” during morning hours except for close stations where back scatter is necessary.

        I find more rocks available for 50MHz but it appears the “barrier” and “brick wall” distances are the same

        for both bands?

        GL

        Tip

[...]

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2004
          If someone is calling CQ with a grid, e.g. 'CQ K9SQL EM69', should your
          report be RST (26/27) or grid square (EM69)? What is the format for
          a report with grid square 'CCCCC EM69 K9SQL EM69EM69' ?

          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL
          Bloomington, Indiana US

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2004
              Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
              reports. Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally. To send
              Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
              into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
              button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
              info on Rally go to http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

              73's
              Terry
              WA3LTB
              EN92ta
            • bbrackin@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                > Some contest require the exchange of grid squares instead of signal
                > reports.   Such as the North American Meteor Scatter Rally.  To send
                > Grids instead of signal reports in WSJT, you can just enter your grid
                > into the report box instead of a signal report and press gen std msg
                > button. and your signal reports will be replaced by your grid. For more
                > info on Rally go to   http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/2004eta.htm

                Thanks, Terry and Bruce.  You verified what I understood to be the
                correct operation.  The reason I was asking is that I was having a QSO
                with VE3CGR and this is sequence:

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2004
                  Bob, you are correct that it is incomplete, for 2 reasons. Wrong call, and
                  you never received any roger from him. When you saw that he was sending the
                  wrong call, you should not send a report to him, because sending the report
                  means "I have copied both calls correctly". Instead send "MMMM" or maybe
                  "MYCALL MYCALL" until he fixes the call (or you give up).

                  When you finally do receive the call correctly then you send a report. For
                  the Rally, if you send a grid as report, but he responds with a numeric
                  report then you need to send "YOUR GRID" or "GRID?" until he fixes his
                  report. This happened to me at 5:00 am this morning when I was too
                  bleary-eyed to notice that I had not changed the report. The station I was
                  working sent "GRID?" and I fixed it and we completed.

                  Hope this helps,

                  73, Russ K2TXB