JT9 on 6 meters

  • Lloyd Korb
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
    I am wondering if anyone has tried JT9 on 6 mtrs.  I tried a test with K0KUK on JT9-1.  I was able to hear his signal, in the speaker, and see a good trace but never got a decode.  Any ideas!!

    Lloyd  K8DIO

  • Paul Stoetzer
    Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      The Doppler spreading must be a bit too much on that path. The tone spacing is only 1.736 Hz. Remember that JT9 was designed for LF and MF. It seems to work on most HF paths as well, but some VHF paths just might not work.

      73,

      Paul, N8HM

      On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Lloyd Korb <lloydk8dio@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Lloyd Korb included below]

      I am wondering if anyone has tried JT9 on 6 mtrs.  I tried a test with K0KUK on JT9-1.  I was able to hear his signal, in the speaker, and see a good trace but never got a decode.  Any ideas!!

      Lloyd  K8DIO

    • Rick Langford
      Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        Ve1sky and I have worked on 6m

        It was an easy decode by both sides

        Although this mode isn't really optimized for 6m

        Rick
        Kd8lcd

        I am wondering if anyone has tried JT9 on 6 mtrs.  I tried a test with K0KUK on JT9-1.  I was able to hear his signal, in the speaker, and see a good trace but never got a decode.  Any ideas!!

        Lloyd  K8DIO

      • Dan Bates
        Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013

          JT9 like JT65 is a long duration mode allowing very weak signals to be averaged and decoded.  On six meters, the propagation is either Sporadic E, Tropo Scatter, Meteor Scatter or F2.  These modes of propagation tend to be strong but “sporadic”, with very short durations or bursts of signal.  ISCAT, FSK441 and PSK2K are designed to exploit these very short duration bursts and are a much better choice for the six meter band.

          Dan n5tm

          Although this mode isn't really optimized for 6m

          Rick
          Kd8lcd

          I am wondering if anyone has tried JT9 on 6 mtrs.  I tried a test with K0KUK on JT9-1.  I was able to hear his signal, in the speaker, and see a good trace but never got a decode.  Any ideas!!

          Lloyd  K8DIO

        • g4ilo
          Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            I wish there was a short burst version of WSPR which I am also interested in trying on 6m.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bates" <n5tm@...> wrote:

            > JT9 like JT65 is a long duration mode allowing very weak signals to be
            > averaged and decoded. On six meters, the propagation is either Sporadic E,
            > Tropo Scatter, Meteor Scatter or F2. These modes of propagation tend to be
            > strong but "sporadic", with very short durations or bursts of signal.
            > ISCAT, FSK441 and PSK2K are designed to exploit these very short duration
            > bursts and are a much better choice for the six meter band.
            >

            > Dan n5tm

          • booz2m
            Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              Hi Julia and the group

              Well, what do you mean with "short?" The challenge is that "short lifts" are often subject to path distortions like Doppler or multi-path. Indeed it would be nice with a short, fast, sensitive, narrow and robust mode :-)

              This being said you may want to try to listen for OZ7IGY on 50,471 MHz: www.rudius.net/oz7igy It is a beacon running a mixed mode signal (PI4 + CW ID + carrier).

              PI4 takes less than 25 s. It is, however, not a one-to-one communication protocol but a modified JT4 for beacon purposes. But it will give you an idea about the possibilities with a faster mode than JT9/WSPR and a bit faster than JT4 with the inherited penalties.

              TO decode PI4 you can use PI-RX: www.rudius.net/oz2m/software/pi-rx

              To read more about PI4 go here: http://rudius.net/oz2m/ngnb/pi4.htm PI4 has been decoded via aurora! Rain scatter remains though.

              73
              Bo, OZ2M