ongoing transatlantic JT9-1 tests--suggest Americas use even mins, EU/AF odd mins

  • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 6:22 AM
      I have been beaming JT9-1 to EU most days to try to alert myself and others as the transatlantic EU season revs up. Several stns on each side of Atlantic (including NA and SA as well as EU so far) have begun joining me from time to time in this. I had been using WSPR for this but several EU stns said it would be helpful for them to know a stable tx cycle to help identify whom they're seeing (often too weak or inconsistent to decode) and suggested JT9-1. A side benefit is if somebody decodes a TA signal they will be all set to respond in the same mode and initiate a QSO.

      Proposal: Americas stations (at least one YV has joined me and some US stations in this) should use even minutes and EU/AF stations should use odd when TA tests are the specific intent. Among other benefits, this will reduce mutual interference from stations in the same area looking for weaker signals from across the pond. An additional benefit from better IDing is that beam headings for various areas can be significantly different--for instance, OH vs. EA or CN from here or VE1 vs. YV from there--and more confident ID even without a decode can help with refining beam heading to try to attain decoding and potential QSOs.

      As I write, I am beaming to EU and a number of EU stns are listening or listening even and transmitting odd mins. Coordination is occurring on ON4KST 50-70 reflector (not one of the ON4KST regional ones). No bingo yet but some traces being detected.

      Jim VE1JF