Re: [wsjtgroup] wsjt-x soundcard interface conundrum.

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2013
      What rig?

      How is the sound card connected to the rig - microphone, accessory
      jack or data port?

      How are you generating PTT in WSJT-X - RTS/DTR on a separate serial
      port, CAT command, or VOX? If RTS/DTR where is the PTT connected?

      What is different in your software configurations for WSPR and WSJT-X?

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 5/12/2013 7:29 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I am new to WSJT and WSPR and have the versions 3251 and 2.11 respectively
      > installed an a windows 8 system.
      >
      > My problem is this: the transmit audio from WSJT-X fed through my external
      > USB soundcard does not seem to modulate the rig, regardless of the level
      > setting. May seem a soundcard issue BUT it works on WSPR and DM780 on
      > digital modes. The audio from WSJT-X when directed to the speaker output
      > instead of the soundcard is OK, and the vertical level indicator in the
      > playback devices window shows the audio getting to this point.
      >

      > When I press tune or transmit the signal appears at the soundcard but the
      > rig isn't modulated, CAT works to put rig into TX and for frequency control.
      > I go back to WSPR and all works through the same interface.
      >

      > It has also worked previously as I have had a QSO using WSJT-X.
      >

      > Tried on 20m, 30m and 40m - no difference.
      >

      > I have run out of ideas other than an e-poltergeist!
      >

      > Regards
      >
      > Charlie
      >
      > www.G4EST.me.uk

    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2013
        > Thanks for the reply. Basic configurations are identical between
        > WSPR and WSJT-X. Using external soundcard through the ZLP interface
        > box to a data port on the TS-570D. PTT through serial port, normal
        > CAT control works OK as does PTT - just the modulation of the rig
        > missing.

        Check your PTT settings *carefully* in both programs. Make sure they
        are absolutely identical. That you get audio with WSPR but not with
        WSJT-X indicates a mismatch between PTT input and audio input.

        Like all Kenwood rigs the TS-570 has two PTT inputs on the ACC jack
        - one (SS - pin 13) selects microphone audio and the other (PKS - pin
        9) one selects ACC (pin 11) audio. Newer - TS-480, TS-2000, TS-590 -
        rigs also have two CAT commands TX0; to select the mic audio and TX1;
        to select the ACC audio.

        The TS-570 does not support TX1; according to the CAT Command reference
        in the user manual. If by chance you have selected CAT as the PTT
        method in WSJT-X and selected "Data" in the cat area, The TS-570D may
        be reacting unpredictably to an unsupported PTT command.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV