WSJT-X v3251 'Open Rig Failed'

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7 10:27 AM
      Hey WSJT Group:

      As soon as WSJT-X is opened the error message appears. If I try to close
      the message in any fashion, the same message/error immediately appears
      on the screen.

      I tried deleting the wsjx INI file but this did not change the
      situation.

      Note that I just put v3251 on the computer today and was using a much
      older version. Though I don't recall which.

      Bob KD7YZ
    • k3wyc
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7 11:08 AM
        I had the same problem and think it was because I had HRD open and using the same port for CAT as I had assigned in WSJT-X. Had to kill WSJT-X from the task manager. Poor error handling on the part of WSJT-X.

        The solution for me was to kill HRD then restart WSJT-X and turn off CAT since it doesn't work for TS-590 anyway.

        Andy k3wyc
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7 11:27 AM
          Andy --

          On 5/7/2013 2:08 PM, k3wyc wrote:
          > I had the same problem and think it was because I had HRD open
          > and using the same port for CAT as I had assigned in WSJT-X.
          > Had to kill WSJT-X from the task manager. Poor error handling
          > on the part of WSJT-X.

          If you report a series of steps that will reliably cause an error you'd
          like to see fixed, we will most likely be able to fix it quickly.

          > The solution for me was to kill HRD then restart WSJT-X and
          > turn off CAT since it doesn't work for TS-590 anyway.

          Others report that CAT works fine on the TS-590. Since I don't have one
          to test, maybe you'd better communicate with those who have it working.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • k3wyc
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8 7:02 AM
            Joe,

            The "Open rig failed" message is easy to reproduce in r3251:

            With WSJT-X closed, open HRD and note the CAT control port.
            Close HRD
            Open WSJT-X
            Set WSJT-X CAT to the same port as noted in step 1. Set up other CAT parameters and enable CAT
            Close wsjt-X
            Open HRD and minimize
            Open wsjt-x. Observe "Open rig failed" error message that cannot be cleared and a WSJT-X application that cannot be used or closed.
            Terminate WSJT-X from task manager
            Close HRD
            Open WSJT-X. Deselect CAT
            Close WSJT-X
            Open HRD and minimize
            Open WSJT-X. Observe no error message

            I'm using Vista but I doubt that has any influence on the problem. The problem appears to be that WSJT-X does not properly handle the assigned CAT port being used by another application. It would be preferable for WSJT-X to disable CAT, issue a warning, and continue normal operation.

            thanks and 73,

            Andy k3wyc
          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8 7:26 AM
              > Open HRD and minimize
              > Open wsjt-x. Observe "Open rig failed" error message that cannot be
              > cleared and a WSJT-X application that cannot be used or closed.
              > Terminate WSJT-X from task manager

              This is "ready, fire, aim" ... there is *no* operating system that
              allows two applications to open the same serial port simultaneously.
              Unless HRD releases the serial port when you minimize it, *no other*
              application can open it as long as HRD is running.

              Simply, you must be sure the serial port you specify is free *before*
              you enable CAT in WSJT-X.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              Message 6 of 10 , May 8 7:35 AM
                Thanks, Andy. Of course you're right that a better error message should
                be provided when WSJT-X tries to open a port that's non-existent or
                already busy. It has been done, and the next release will be better
                behaved.

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                On 5/8/2013 10:02 AM, k3wyc wrote:
                > Joe,
                >
                > The "Open rig failed" message is easy to reproduce in r3251:
                >
                > With WSJT-X closed, open HRD and note the CAT control port.
                > Close HRD
                > Open WSJT-X
                > Set WSJT-X CAT to the same port as noted in step 1. Set up other CAT parameters and enable CAT
                > Close wsjt-X
                > Open HRD and minimize
                > Open wsjt-x. Observe "Open rig failed" error message that cannot be cleared and a WSJT-X application that cannot be used or closed.
                > Terminate WSJT-X from task manager
                > Close HRD
                > Open WSJT-X. Deselect CAT
                > Close WSJT-X
                > Open HRD and minimize
                > Open WSJT-X. Observe no error message
                >

                > I'm using Vista but I doubt that has any influence on the problem. The problem appears to be that WSJT-X does not properly handle the assigned CAT port being used by another application. It would be preferable for WSJT-X to disable CAT, issue a warning, and continue normal operation.
                >
                > thanks and 73,
                >
                > Andy k3wyc

              • k3wyc
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8 10:12 AM

                  > Simply, you must be sure the serial port you specify is free *before*
                  > you enable CAT in WSJT-X.

                  CAT enabling is remembered from the previous session. What is required is that any other applicaton that uses the port is closed before WSJT-X is started. I can guarantee that people will continue to be caught by this.

                  While it may be true that two applications cannot open the same port, that is no reason that the second application that tries to open the port has to hang up. There are better ways to handle the error and I suggested one.

                  I don't much care whether this problem is addressed or not. I know how to fix it if it happens. It up to the software designers whether they would like to introduce better error handling. I was just responding to Joe's request for a repeatable procedure.

                  Andy k3wyc
                • Jordan Arndt
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8 10:21 AM
                    I had the same problem, until I figured out to turn of CWSkimmer prior to running JTx....

                    Still testing on Rx..... 73...Jordan VE6ZT

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 8 10:36 AM
                      W4TV and K3WYC wrote:

                      >> Simply, you must be sure the serial port you specify is free *before*
                      >> you enable CAT in WSJT-X.
                      >
                      > CAT enabling is remembered from the previous session. What is required
                      > is that any other applicaton that uses the port is closed before WSJT-X
                      > is started. I can guarantee that people will continue to be caught by this.

                      Issues like this one are precisely why we took care to insert this
                      advice in the WSJT-X ChangeLog:

                      "CAT control diagnostics are presently rather rudimentary, we're still
                      working on this. Feedback is welcome!"

                      As mentioned in a post some three hours ago, this particular case of
                      poor error handling has already been remedied.

                      -- Joe, K1JT
                    • KD7YZ Bob
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 13 12:07 PM
                      I have done some more testing on this dual-use of single CAT Com-Port.

                      Rig is K3 fwiw. I am using Dx-Labs "Commander", which reads and sets certain frequencies and parameters of the K3. The designated port is Com14 .

                      So I run Virtual Serial Port Emulator, by Eterologic. I assign COM2 (Virtual) to watch Com14 .

                      First I run Commander and have it assigned to COM2 (the virtual) .
                      Commander operates correctly; reads the frequency of K3, sets "CW" and co forth.

                      Close Commander. Verify is is closed by looking through Task Manager.

                      Run WSJTx, JT9 . Assign it to look at COM2 .. If this is not possible due to rig-open problem, I edit the "INI" and delete the section of lines dealing with CAT and COM ports.

                      WSJTx functions just fine looking thru the virtual port to the K3.

                      Run Commander now. Eventually, sooner or in a minute or so, WSJTx locks up while Commander works through it.

                      If OTOH I start Commander first, still using the virtual port COM2, and THEN "try" to run WJTx, there is the immediate Error about open rig and so forth. Kill it with TM .

                      Commander is still working.

                      Now then, I winder if any other program(s) will work using VSPE and the virtual port COM2 which points to the logical port COM14.

                      So I run FLDIGI. I set it to look at COM2 and Voilla! she's a workin' along with Commander who's also looking at COM14 (K3) through Virtual Port COM2 . The setup is through the Hamlib tab, K3 & COM2.

                      Close FLDigi. Open "K3 Utility". Assign COM2. Works while Commander is also running thru COM2.

                      Keep them open and open "Omni-Rig Client". Make changes to "FREQA". Note K3 has changed frequency on VFO-a.

                      Leave all three communicating with K3 through COM2 and open WSJTx. Note
                      Open Rig Failed, error. See screenshot of it, attached to this, and likely
                      viewable in the Files section via the Yahoo Group interface. Otherwise as me and I will email same screenshot.

                      Bob KD7YZ
                      http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ