Re: Review of WSJT-X User's Guide

  • pe1lif
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2013
      Joe,

      Read the user's guide and it is very good. Even learned some new things after using the software over the last 2 months or so.

      There is one feature that puzzles me. I have set the 'save' menu to none but still see new wav files appear in the save folder. Is that supposed to happen ?

      73, Marinus PE1LIF
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2013
        I've wondered about that too. Funny thing is wave files are not saved for every minute. The one time I wanted to decode something again, the wave file was not there.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "pe1lif" <pe1lif@...> wrote:

        > There is one feature that puzzles me. I have set the 'save' menu to none but still see new wav files appear in the save folder. Is that supposed to happen ?
        >
        > 73, Marinus PE1LIF

      • David Garnier
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2013
          Hi Joe,

          After listening to all of the over-driven transmitters, sputtering JT9
          audio
          (USB interruptions?) last night, I think there needs a section in the users
          guide on how to adjust ones audio drive for JT9 mode.

          Question. Is JT9 more sensitive to being over-driving amplifier
          distortion than PSK31?

          Couple random thoughts and work arounds based on my mistakes.

          1) Preset the windows audio sliders to mid-range or 1/3 from the bottom
          of least sensitivity - before adjusting audio levels on your H/W interface
          box! Audio amplifiers generate least distortion when driven in the
          mid-range.
          I was surprised to discover that I was over-driving Line-in or Mic on
          receive, now I decode more signals into the -20 dB range.

          2) I use a number 47 light bulb or 15 watt light bulb on the end of a coax
          to get a feel for how much audio drive I need before causing transmitter
          ALC meter action. If you are using and outboard RF transmit amplifier
          don't assume it's gain or distortion doesn't change from band to band!

          3) Have a second receiver on hand (or 2nd PC with JT9 s/w running) for
          listening to your signal as a basic sanity check.

          4) Know how to generate a receive WAV file for sending to another ham
          as a heads up. I received a report that I was over-driving but when I asked
          for the receive WAV file the other person didn't know what I was talking
          about .
          Additionally, know how to play back a JT9 WAV file in case you receive
          a report you are causing interference.

          5) How does one force re-enumeration of windows assigned audio ports?
          I have had other ham sound card programs hijack or screw-up existing
          audio settings... I hate to be forced to use VAC program to keep these
          audio ports straight. All Flex users know what I am talking about.

          Dave - wb9own
          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2013
            WSJT-X saves every received sequence tentatively. If you have not asked
            for a particular file to be saved by using Alt-V, "Save Decoded", or
            "Save All", the file will be deleted about one sequence later. This
            procedure gives you plenty of time to decide to save the file, in case
            you did not have "Save All" selected. However, it also means that when
            you terminate the program there is likely to be one last file that gets
            saved, whether you asked for it or not.

            -- Joe, K1JT

            On 5/6/2013 5:36 AM, g4ilo wrote:
            > I've wondered about that too. Funny thing is wave files are not saved for every minute. The one time I wanted to decode something again, the wave file was not there.
            >
            > Julian, G4ILO
            >
            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "pe1lif"<pe1lif@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> There is one feature that puzzles me. I have set the 'save' menu to none but still see new wav files appear in the save folder. Is that supposed to happen ?
            >>
            >> 73, Marinus PE1LIF

          • pe1lif
            Message 5 of 12 , May 6, 2013
              Thank you for clearing this up. I kept the save folder open and indeed noticed the deletion of the files about one sequence later. Every so often though the file does not seem to get deleted as I have a number of wav files in the save folder that I did not intentionally save.
              Will see if I can find a pattern of when the file does not get deleted.

              73, Marinus PE1LIF

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

              > WSJT-X saves every received sequence tentatively. If you have not asked
              > for a particular file to be saved by using Alt-V, "Save Decoded", or
              > "Save All", the file will be deleted about one sequence later. This
              > procedure gives you plenty of time to decide to save the file, in case
              > you did not have "Save All" selected. However, it also means that when
              > you terminate the program there is likely to be one last file that gets
              > saved, whether you asked for it or not.
              >
              > -- Joe, K1JT
              >
              > On 5/6/2013 5:36 AM, g4ilo wrote:
              > > I've wondered about that too. Funny thing is wave files are not saved for every minute. The one time I wanted to decode something again, the wave file was not there.
              > >
              > > Julian, G4ILO
              > >
              > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "pe1lif"<pe1lif@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> There is one feature that puzzles me. I have set the 'save' menu to none but still see new wav files appear in the save folder. Is that supposed to happen ?
              > >>
              > >> 73, Marinus PE1LIF

              > > WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • qrpbear
              Message 6 of 12 , May 6, 2013
                Based on my own experience running a Softrock Ensemble with PSDR, VAC and WSPR 2.0 anyone who is using an SDR-based system needs to keep a close eye on their CPU load during TX intervals. It's pretty much a guarantee that if your CPU load is at 100% or hitting frequently during the TX interval you will have choppy audio and a sputtering transmitter. For some reason it never dawned on me to plug my speakers in to listen to what my tx audio sounded like. I didn't realize how bad my signal was until I got another receiver to use as a monitor. Strangely enough (probably due to my remote QTH) nobody ever complained. Fortunately, Joe released WSPR 2.11 with Softrock support and that cured the problem since there was no longer any need to run all the other bloatware!

                Something I should have learned in all my years of hamming and commercial two-way servicing.... there is absolutely no substitute for an off-the-air monitor. Too easy to make assumptions and forgot the basics!!

                73,

                'Bear' NH7SR