r3251 issues with my K3

  • kc2nyu
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2013
      I just installed v3251 on my win 7 64 bit pc. I have a K3 using a Signalink usb interface to PC and via a serial cable to the K3. I have Enable CAT selected, and DTR for PTT method. Up until installing this version, all the previous JT9 versions worked fine.
      Now I am having several "odd" issues that amount to this version not working for me.

      - The box next to the band selector window is orange. The band selector Does change the bands on the K3.
      - When I do Test Cat control, it is successful. When I do Test PTT, sometimes I get no reaction, other times I get "Open rig failed". Most times when I get this msg, it won't go away. I keep clicking "OK" but it won't close and the the JT9 program will not close either and if I go to Task Mgr, it says JT9 is not responding.

      - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
      I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.

      - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.

      - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.

      - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.

      Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?

      73 Paul kc2nyu
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2013
        Are you using the same COM port for CAT and PTT?

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > I just installed v3251 on my win 7 64 bit pc. I have a K3 using a Signalink usb interface to PC and via a serial cable to the K3. I have Enable CAT selected, and DTR for PTT method. Up until installing this version, all the previous JT9 versions worked fine.
        > Now I am having several "odd" issues that amount to this version not working for me.
        >
        > - The box next to the band selector window is orange. The band selector Does change the bands on the K3.
        > - When I do Test Cat control, it is successful. When I do Test PTT, sometimes I get no reaction, other times I get "Open rig failed". Most times when I get this msg, it won't go away. I keep clicking "OK" but it won't close and the the JT9 program will not close either and if I go to Task Mgr, it says JT9 is not responding.
        >
        > - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
        > I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.
        >
        > - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.
        >
        > - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.
        >
        > - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.
        >
        > Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?
        >
        > 73 Paul kc2nyu

      • John Cranfield
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2013
          Hi Paul

          You are not alone with the “open rig failed” message. I get this very often and it is very frustrating because like you, clicking OK doesn't close the program. This only happened after Release 3251. A fix would be very much appreciated.

          Vy 73 de John ZD7JC
          St. Helena Island
        • kc2wuf
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2013
            Paul,

            Isn't the SignaLink USB device VOX? Do you have a COM port selected when using the DTR method of PTT?

            73 David KC2WUF

            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2013
              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

              > Are you using the same COM port for CAT and PTT?
              >
              > Julian, G4ILO
              >
              > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just installed v3251 on my win 7 64 bit pc. I have a K3 using a Signalink usb interface to PC and via a serial cable to the K3. I have Enable CAT selected, and DTR for PTT method. Up until installing this version, all the previous JT9 versions worked fine.
              > > Now I am having several "odd" issues that amount to this version not working for me.
              > >
              > > - The box next to the band selector window is orange. The band selector Does change the bands on the K3.
              > > - When I do Test Cat control, it is successful. When I do Test PTT, sometimes I get no reaction, other times I get "Open rig failed". Most times when I get this msg, it won't go away. I keep clicking "OK" but it won't close and the the JT9 program will not close either and if I go to Task Mgr, it says JT9 is not responding.
              > >
              > > - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
              > > I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.
              > >
              > > - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.
              > >
              > > - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.
              > >
              > > - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.
              > >
              > > Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?
              > >
              > > 73 Paul kc2nyu

            • kc2nyu
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                Julian
                - On the subject of the Signalink - I am not sure I can answer well - because the whole subject of PTT with different software programs confuses me sometimes. I have a serial cable from K3 to PC, and then a 8-pin RJ-45 cable that runs from Signalink to the line in/out on the rear of the K3. In the K3 config, I have PTT OFF-dtr, which I believe is right but in trouble shooting this issue it may have gotten change.

                73 Paul kc2nyu
                I am not using a Signalink so my solution won't apply. I thought the signalink generated its own PTT using VOX so you just ignore the PTT setting in wsprx?

                If you are not using the Signalink VOX but are using the K3 serial cable then you have a setup similar to me.

                I have installed Virtual Serial Port Emulator from Eterlogic and used it to create a splitter on the com port used by my K3 , which in my case is COM3. I maned the splitter COM13 to make it easy to remember. Now in wsprx settings I use COM13 for BOTH PTT and CAT settings.

                Julian, G4ILO

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                > Are you using the same COM port for CAT and PTT?
                >
                > Julian, G4ILO
                >
                > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just installed v3251 on my win 7 64 bit pc. I have a K3 using a Signalink usb interface to PC and via a serial cable to the K3. I have Enable CAT selected, and DTR for PTT method. Up until installing this version, all the previous JT9 versions worked fine.
                > > Now I am having several "odd" issues that amount to this version not working for me.
                > >
                > > - The box next to the band selector window is orange. The band selector Does change the bands on the K3.
                > > - When I do Test Cat control, it is successful. When I do Test PTT, sometimes I get no reaction, other times I get "Open rig failed". Most times when I get this msg, it won't go away. I keep clicking "OK" but it won't close and the the JT9 program will not close either and if I go to Task Mgr, it says JT9 is not responding.
                > >
                > > - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
                > > I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.
                > >
                > > - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.
                > >
                > > - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.
                > >
                > > - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.
                > >
                > > Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?
                > >
                > > 73 Paul kc2nyu

              • kc2nyu
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                  Ok - I made the following changes:
                  - I changed polling to 10s
                  - I changed the block next to Handshake to Data
                  - On K3 changed the PTT-Key to RTS-Off

                  Started WSJT-X again and still see following conditions:
                  - If press Test PTT, get "Open Rig Failed", program freezes up and have to Task Mgr to close program
                  - The Red box next to band select changed from Orange to Red
                  - Still getting CW ID at the end of msg answering a CQ.
                  - At the end of the Tx, the K3 stops transmitting but the box in lower left hand corner stays Yellow and still says TX
                  - Even if I press Halt Tx, the box stays yellow

                  So not making any real progress here.

                  73 Paul

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
                  > > > I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.
                  > > >
                  > > > - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.
                  > > >
                  > > > - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.
                  > > >
                  > > > - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?

                • g4ilo
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                    Looks to me as if you are using the Signallink just as a USB sound card. I assume that the COM port for PTT and the COM port for CAT are both set to the same port.

                    I have just confirmed that if you do that with a normal COM port you will get a repeating "Open rig failed" until you terminate WSPRX with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

                    The simplest solution for you is probably to leave PTT set to None in WSPRX and enable VOX on the K3. If you reduce the VOX delay to minimum you won't notice the difference.

                    The other solution is to set up a virtual serial port splitter as I mentioned in my previous post. What's happening at the moment is that WSPRX is trying to open the same serial port twice - once for PTT and the second time for CAT. That is because Joe is using hamlib for CAT which is more or less a separate program.

                    Windows won't allow a serial port to be opened twice. A virtual serial port splitter is the only way round it.

> [...]

                    > > > - After opening the program, I can get one or two Tx's, then no more. In other words, if I select CQ, it will send one or two CQs, no more. If I respond to a CQ, it will do it one time, no more. Even though
                    > > > I have "Enable Tx" selected. The program shows a yellow Tx in the lower left, but the K3 is not being keyed.
                    > > >
                    > > > - Sometimes when I send CQ or answer a call it does not show up in the QSO window, even though I have Tx msgs echoed in QSO window selected.
                    > > >
                    > > > - I do not have ID after 73 checked, but after a CQ call or a response to a CQ, it goes to what appears to be a CW ID.
                    > > >
                    > > > - I have the same settings in configuration that I had in previous program versions. They were transferred on the install.
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas on how to fix?

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 2013
                      Paul,

                      > - On K3 changed the PTT-Key to RTS-Off

                      I do not believe WSJT-X will allow PTT an CAT on the same port.
                      Looking at ports with a break-out box does not show any activity
                      on either DTR/RTS when PTT and CAT are set to the same port.

                      You will need to use "VOX" PTT with your Signalink if you are
                      using CAT, install another serial port, get an interface that
                      provides for serial port based PTT or use serial commands for
                      PTT.

                      > - I changed the block next to Handshake to Data

                      As described in the User Guide, DATA/MIC controls the kind of
                      PTT command issued by the software (TX; vs. TX1;). That does
                      not apply to the K3 - the K3 has only one PTT command.

                      If you are going to use CAT commands for K3 PTT, set "PTT
                      method" to CAT and set PTT Port and CAT Port to the same port
                      number.

                      > - At the end of the Tx, the K3 stops transmitting but the box
                      > in lower left hand corner stays Yellow and still says TX
                      > - Even if I press Halt Tx, the box stays yellow

                      If you choose to use CAT (command) PTT, *DISABLE* the VOX PTT in
                      your signalink. The K3 has a problem when mixing hardware PTT
                      and command PTT.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV