6 meter WSJT

  • n8wac
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2013

      With 6 meter season now starting. What freq is recommended for JT65? I looked on the net and everyone has there own opinion on where to do what. .260, .276, .290. Where is everyone at. Also while we're at it....What about FSK441? Help please

      N8WAC, Tony
    • Rick Langford
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2013
        Tony

        I also noticed many folks using 50.076
        Which personally I think is a bad idea
        That us in the beacon sub band.

        I have been listening 260 and 276

        kd8lcd

        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2013
          Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
          ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
          them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
          on VHF. VY 73, Lance

          --
          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)

          page (above)!
        • Bruce Junkin
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2013
            Hi Rick and Tony and all,

            The calling frequency for FSK441, Meteor Scatter and ISCAT (Ion Scatter) is 50.260.  The Typical frequency for JT65 terrestrial is 50.290.  The frequency for other modes such as PSK2K is often on 50.276.  The newer mode (JT-9) is supposed to be on 50.293.

            Nothing but CW Beacons should be on 50.076.  That is NOT a digital mode frequency, and anyone using 50.076 for Digital modes need to  stop, and move above 50.260.  Remember when using FSK441 or ISCAT, 50.260 is the CALLING frequency, not usually the working frequency.  Usually, guys will call on .260, and listen on another frequency.  When someone calls them on their RX frequency, they switch to simplex on the RX freq.  Occasionally, people forget that.  Hope this helps.

            73
            Bruce, KI7JA

            Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 4:30 PM
            Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] 6 meter WSJT

            Tony

            I also noticed many folks using 50.076
            Which personally I think is a bad idea
            That us in the beacon sub band.

            I have been listening 260 and 276

            kd8lcd

            With 6 meter season now starting. What freq is recommended for JT65? I looked on the net and everyone has there own opinion on where to do what. .260, .276, .290. Where is everyone at. Also while we're at it....What about FSK441? Help please

            N8WAC, Tony

          • nz3m_dave
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2013
              No legal on 076, CW only. 50276 is where I have been hearing many.

              73
              Dave NZ3M

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Rick Langford <kd8lcd@...> wrote:

              > Tony
              >
              > I also noticed many folks using 50.076
              > Which personally I think is a bad idea
              > That us in the beacon sub band.
              >
              > I have been listening 260 and 276
              >
              > kd8lcd

            • Rick Johnson
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                Wondering who made the decision for these frequencies.
                Last summer the frequency 50.276 was covered with stations using JT65.
                Why change it.  I have never heard a JT65 QSO going on 50.290.

                Rick W3BI

                Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 4:30 PM

                  Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 4:30 PM

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                    > I also noticed many folks using 50.076
                    > Which personally I think is a bad idea
                    > That us in the beacon sub band.

                    It is arguably illegal for US stations as well ...
                    Per 97.305(c) MCW, phone image, RTTY and *data* (emphasis added)
                    are permitted only between 50.1 and 54.0 MHz. 50.0 to 50.1 is
                    *CW ONLY*. I don't see how any of the forms of WSJT/FSK441/ISCAT
                    (all of which are essentially multi-state FSK) would qualify as
                    "CW" (e.g. "International Morse code telegraphy emissions having
                    designators with A, C, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1 as the
                    second symbol; B or C as the third symbol; [including] J2A and
                    J2B" [97.3(c)(1)])

                    For more on emission designators see the ITU definitions:
                    http://life.itu.ch/radioclub/rr/ap01.htm

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    On 5/3/2013 7:30 PM, Rick Langford wrote:
                    > Tony
                    >
                    > I also noticed many folks using 50.076
                    > Which personally I think is a bad idea
                    > That us in the beacon sub band.
                    >
                    > I have been listening 260 and 276
                    >
                    > kd8lcd

                  • Bill Turner
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                      ORIGINAL MESSAGE (may be snipped):
                      On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:39:16 +0000, W7GJ wrote:

                      >Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
                      >ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
                      >them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
                      >on VHF. VY 73, Lance

                      REPLY:
                      That's funny! As best as I can recall, it was the ARRL that petitioned the
                      FCC to create the six and two meter CW sub bands in the first place. :-)

                      Bill, W6WRT
                    • Richard Solomon
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                        They did, but it was eons before JT-n, PSK-n and a whole slew of other
                        babble modes.

                        73, Dick, W1KSZ

                        On 5/3/2013 6:11 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
                        > ORIGINAL MESSAGE (may be snipped):
                        > On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:39:16 +0000, W7GJ wrote:
                        >
                        >> Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
                        >> ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
                        >> them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
                        >> on VHF. VY 73, Lance
                        > REPLY:
                        > That's funny! As best as I can recall, it was the ARRL that petitioned the
                        > FCC to create the six and two meter CW sub bands in the first place. :-)
                        >
                        > Bill, W6WRT

                      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2013
                          Just like they did on the HF bands....but somehow it has been seen fit to allow
                          narrower bandwidth modes now on HF in the "CW ONLY" HF sub-bands. GL and VY 73, Lance

                          On 5/4/2013 1:11 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
                          > ORIGINAL MESSAGE (may be snipped):
                          > On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:39:16 +0000, W7GJ wrote:
                          >
                          >> Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
                          >> ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
                          >> them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
                          >> on VHF. VY 73, Lance
                          > REPLY:
                          > That's funny! As best as I can recall, it was the ARRL that petitioned the
                          > FCC to create the six and two meter CW sub bands in the first place. :-)
                          >
                          > Bill, W6WRT

                          Lance Collister, W7GJ
                          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
                          P.O. Box 73
                          Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
                          USA
                          TEL: (406) 626-5728
                          QTH: DN27ub
                          Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
                          Skype: lanceW7GJ
                          2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

                          page (above)!
                        • Ira Franklin
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                            Remember guys that the only part of that 50.000 to 50.100 is really useful most of the time for CW is 50.080 to 50.100. Below 50.080, it seem like there is a beacon on every corner. Now the beacons are showing up above .080. Now lets be honest about it. If  50.000 to 50.100 were to be opened to data modes they will head straight to .100 to .080. during the "E" season I spend a good bit of time in the beacon portion as there is no room in .080 to .100
                                My 2 cents worth
                            Ira  K4YMQ

                            On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:39:16 +0000, W7GJ wrote:

                            >Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
                            >ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
                            >them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
                            >on VHF. VY 73, Lance

                            REPLY:
                            That's funny! As best as I can recall, it was the ARRL that petitioned the
                            FCC to create the six and two meter CW sub bands in the first place. :-)

                            Bill, W6WRT
                          • Jack/W6NF
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                              I wouldn't object to changes in the sub-bands but there *must* be some protected territory for CW and beacons, on 6-meters particularly. I'd prefer to avoid the digital/CW and digital/SSB zoos that seem to be prevalent on HF (20-meters is my favorite)!

                              I agree, Lance, I gave up on the ARRL and VHF matters after W1XX left...that's been a few years!

                              73,

                              On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

                              Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the outdated CW
                              ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us start to bug
                              them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do anything for us
                              on VHF. VY 73, Lance

                              On 5/3/2013 11:30 PM, Rick Langford wrote:

                              > Tony
                              >
                              > I also noticed many folks using 50.076
                              > Which personally I think is a bad idea
                              > That us in the beacon sub band.
                              >
                              > I have been listening 260 and 276
                              >
                              > kd8lcd

                              Jack, W6NF/HC2UA
                              Shelley, K7MKL/HC2UB
                              Ballenita, Ecuador
                              EI97
                            • Joe Subich, W4TV
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                                On 5/4/2013 1:22 PM, Jack/W6NF wrote:
                                > I wouldn't object to changes in the sub-bands but there *must* be some
                                > protected territory for CW and beacons, on 6-meters particularly.

                                Get the beacons out of the "prime" 50.0 - 50.1 MHz space and re-use it
                                for digital/data. Move the beacons - which seem to be primarily ego
                                machines anyway - up to 50.9-51.0 MHz. The current band bandplan is
                                "upside down" thanks to ARRL and the FCC.

                                73,

                                ... Joe, W4TV

                              • Jerry
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                                  Bottom 80Kc's or so on 'Any Band'..'Should Be CW Only' !  I wouldn't object if they moved the 'numerous /B's' up a couple Mhz on 6M !
                                  Jerry
                                  VE6CPP
                                  DN39or

                                • Bruce Junkin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 4, 2013
                                    IMHO, keep the Digital bands above .200 where they are now.  Leave the CW beacon bands alone!  Just my opinion.

                                    Bruce, KI7JA

                                    Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:03 AM

                                    On 5/4/2013 1:22 PM, Jack/W6NF wrote:
                                    > I wouldn't object to changes in the sub-bands but there *must* be some
                                    > protected territory for CW and beacons, on 6-meters particularly.

                                    Get the beacons out of the "prime" 50.0 - 50.1 MHz space and re-use it
                                    for digital/data. Move the beacons - which seem to be primarily ego
                                    machines anyway - up to 50.9-51.0 MHz. The current band bandplan is
                                    "upside down" thanks to ARRL and the FCC.

                                    73,

                                    ... Joe, W4TV

                                    On 5/4/2013 1:22 PM, Jack/W6NF wrote:
                                    > I wouldn't object to changes in the sub-bands but there *must* be some
                                    > protected territory for CW and beacons, on 6-meters particularly. I'd
                                    > prefer to avoid the digital/CW and digital/SSB zoos that seem to be
                                    > prevalent on HF (20-meters is my favorite)!
                                    >
                                    > I agree, Lance, I gave up on the ARRL and VHF matters after W1XX
                                    > left...that's been a few years!
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    >
                                    > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <mailto:w7gj%40q.com> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> **
                                    >>

                                    >> Not to mention ILLEGAL, until the ARRL petitions the FCC to change the
                                    >> outdated CW
                                    >> ONLY band allocations below 50.100 and 144.100! Maybe if enough of us
                                    >> start to bug
                                    >> them something will happen. I have about given up on the ARRL to do
                                    >> anything for us
                                    >> on VHF. VY 73, Lance
                                    >>

                                    >> On 5/3/2013 11:30 PM, Rick Langford wrote:
                                    >>>

                                    >>> Tony
                                    >>>
                                    >>> I also noticed many folks using 50.076
                                    >>> Which personally I think is a bad idea
                                    >>> That us in the beacon sub band.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> I have been listening 260 and 276
                                    >>>
                                    >>> kd8lcd

                                  • Jack/W6NF
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 5, 2013
                                      Has anyone ever encountered a situation where the band was open at 50MHz but *not* at 51MHz? This may be a silly notion but I'd *much* rather see the beacons down as low as possible.

                                      73

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 5, 2013
                                        That has always been an argument for putting them at the low end of the band, Jack.
                                        Personally, I think another nice thing about having them on the low end is that I can
                                        watch the beacons as well at the DX window with a 192 KHz wide waterfall display.
                                        There still should be room for the narrow bandwidth digital signals down somewhere in
                                        the lower 100 KHz, along with the beacons and a lot of DX CW activity (which
                                        currently is interleaved between beacons). But I know some of the Region 1 people
                                        have been trying to move the beacons. Allowing digital down in the lower 100 KHz
                                        would also allow us to utilize the newer technology with the combination CW/digital
                                        beacons, which permit detection at much lower signal strengths. VY 73, Lance

                                        --
                                        Lance Collister, W7GJ
                                        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

                                        page (above)!