Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X v0.95 r3251

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2013
      Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
      response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
      5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
      of changes in the rig's QRG.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 5/2/2013 3:00 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
      > WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:
      >
      > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
      >
      > Be sure to read the ChangeLog:
      >
      > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
      >
      > as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,
      >
      > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
      >
      > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
      > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
      > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
      >
      > One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
      > in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
      > to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
      > equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
      > turning such equipment off.
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

    • Colin XSD
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2013
        Thanks Gary,

        Yes the 'Polling = Zero' does give me the functionality (or argueably  lack of) I want but that wasn't what I was trying to get across.
        I am using 'Polling = Zero' at the moment since that is all that works with CAT control on (for me anyway, thanks again Joe that gets me what I need).

        Having re-read what I wrote I can see I didn't explain myself very well, trying again:

        When I said ' have the directions for CAT contol individually selectable?' I was thinking from the front panel. But:
        Having looked at it again perhaps just a 'Read Rig Frequency' button near the Frequency Display would suffice when the user has 'Polling = Zero' set in the config, that may also be useful for people who have a long polling time set as well (and want to force a 'Frequency Read').

        If it is any help, I sometimes use 'IC706_BKT Icom 706 Control version 4.13.0' to control my Rig and it reads and writes no trouble but I can't run it with CAT control set on WSJT-X due to port sharing issues (I guess I could set up some sort of port sharing but would rather not go down that route).

        73,
        Colin
        M0XSD.

        On 02/05/2013 22:46, Gary wrote:

        If you set the CAT Polling Interval to zero, then the software controls the rig, but it doesn't read anything back form the radio - I think that this is what you want.

        This is how I run WSJT-X with my FT-817.

        See Setup > Configuration > CAT > Polling Interval

        73
        Gary
        G0DNI

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Joe,
        >
        > Running IC-706 MkII here and there is partial success with CAT control.
        > The software control the Rig but fails to read correctly, it normally
        > returns 0.000 000 but sometimes returns the previously set frequency, at
        > which point it locks up (Not Responding).
        >
        > Would it be possible to have the directions for CAT contol individually
        > selectable?, personally I am only interested in the Software contolling
        > the Rig but I can see the merit in being able to read the Rig frequency
        > remotely (for diagnostic purposes if nothing else).
        >
        > Forgive me if I have missed something covered in the new ChangeLog
        > and/or User Guide but I only have a quick read through them and may have
        > missed something. But it is getting late here and I wanted to give you
        > the feedback tonight to make the most of our time difference.
        >

        > 73,
        > Colin
        > M0XSD.
        >
        > On 02/05/2013 19:00, Joe Taylor wrote:
        > >
        > > WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:
        > >
        > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
        > >
        > > Be sure to read the ChangeLog:
        > >
        > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
        > >
        > > as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,
        > >
        > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
        > >
        > > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
        > > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
        > > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
        > >
        > > One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
        > > in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
        > > to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
        > > equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
        > > turning such equipment off.
        > >
        > > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      • Sam Morgan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2013
          suggestion,
          Joe, if you did add this "having it look again" 'Read the Rig's frequency' idea
          the red square would be the perfect [button] to push to force this action.

          snip

          --

          GB & 73
          K5OAI
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2013
            Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge? I haven't tried it myself as it is working OK for me with polling set to 10s which should be enough to avoid incurring the wrath of Laurie.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

            > Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
            > response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
            > 5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
            > of changes in the rig's QRG.
            >
            > 73,

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2013
              On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
              > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge?

              Would not even consider it. LP_Bridge (and LPB2) has too many negative
              side-effects with other software I use. Due to know issues - including
              blocking K3 meta commands - several developers will not even accept bug
              reports if LP-Bridge/LPB2 is in use.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
              > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge? I haven't tried it myself as it is working OK for me with polling set to 10s which should be enough to avoid incurring the wrath of Laurie.
              >
              > Julian, G4ILO
              >
              > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
              >> response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
              >> 5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
              >> of changes in the rig's QRG.
              >>
              >> 73,

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:
                > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
                > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
                > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly

                CAT control is not working with my TS440SAT. When I test comms the report says comms appear to be working, dial frequency 00000.00

                Dan
                KJ6RGX
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

                  > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@> wrote:
                  > > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
                  > > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
                  > > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
                  >

                  > CAT control is not working with my TS440SAT. When I test comms the report says comms appear to be working, dial frequency 00000.00
                  >

                  > Dan
                  > KJ6RGX

                  Thanks to Rick (W3BI) for the fix. For anyone with the same problem I had to set

                  Configuration > Setup > Handshake: dropdown > Hardware

                  Thanks Rick.

                  Dan
                  KJ6RGX
                • Julian, G4ILO
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                    Eterlogic VSPE is the only one I use. I've tried some others such as the free one written by a ham that is made available only to hams but it crashed a lot and I could not create a splitter. I'm still 32bit here so it's a free solution for me.

                    LP Bridge would probably do the job for this application but I haven't tried it as it can create other problems that I'd prefer to avoid. If it works for you, use it.

                    Julian, G4ILO
                    G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
                    http://about.me/julian.moss

                    On 5 May 2013 19:13, Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@...> wrote:
                    is there any of the other virtual serial port pgms that you do like?

                    I just saw Julian mention Eterlogic VSPE in another email
                    I looked and the 64bit version is not free
                    would like to know if it works better than LP-Bridge
                    before I bought it

                    comments?

                    On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
                     > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge?

                    Would not even consider it. LP_Bridge (and LPB2) has too many negative
                    side-effects with other software I use. Due to know issues - including
                    blocking K3 meta commands - several developers will not even accept bug
                    reports if LP-Bridge/LPB2 is in use.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    --

                    GB & 73
                    K5OAI
                    Sam Morgan

                  • kc2nyu
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                      Julian & Joe- thanks for the last two replies and I believe all is well here with WSTJ-X. I made these changes:
                      - In WSTJ-X, PTT Method to Vox, PTT Port to None
                      - In K3 set Vox Gain to 9
                      - Band Selector works fine
                      - When PTT Test is pressed no response but No Rig Failed to open msg anymore.

                      Results:
                      Program seems to be running normally with all functions working.
                      - block next to band Select is Red
                      - Changes to K3 VFO are reflected in Program albeit with some delay (polling time choice?)
                      - All previously reported issues are fixed.

                      Thanks to all who helped.

                      73 Paul kc2nyu