Minor CAT bug in v0.95, r3243

  • kc2wuf
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2013
      I just turned all my equipment on and started WSJT-X first with CAT disabled, but my rig (FT-950) changed frequency to the last frequency "used" by WSJT-X. I normally start HRD up first to control the rig and then this doesn't happen, but today I started WSJT-X up first.

      The other funny thing is WSJT-X doesn't take over CAT control and I can't use the drop-down to change the rig frequency when I start it this way.

      After starting HRD and restarting WSJT-X there is no band change, so this only happens if the rig is not being controlled by other software.

      BTW, Computer is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I do have the proper CAT settings in the setup even though it is disabled.

      73 David KC2WUF
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2013
        WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:

        http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

        Be sure to read the ChangeLog:

        http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

        as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,

        http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf

        Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
        experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
        particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly

        One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
        in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
        to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
        equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
        turning such equipment off.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      • Colin XSD
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2013
          Thanks Joe,

          Running IC-706 MkII here and there is partial success with CAT control. The software control the Rig but fails to read correctly, it normally returns 0.000 000 but sometimes returns the previously set frequency, at which point it locks up (Not Responding).

          Would it be possible to have the directions for CAT contol individually selectable?, personally I am only interested in the Software contolling the Rig but I can see the merit in being able to read the Rig frequency remotely (for diagnostic purposes if nothing else).

          Forgive me if I have missed something covered in the new ChangeLog and/or User Guide but I only have a quick read through them and may have missed something. But it is getting late here and I wanted to give you the feedback tonight to make the most of our time difference.

          73,
          Colin
          M0XSD.

          On 02/05/2013 19:00, Joe Taylor wrote:

          WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:

          http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

          Be sure to read the ChangeLog:

          http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

          as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,

          http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf

          Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
          experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
          particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly

          One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
          in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
          to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
          equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
          turning such equipment off.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2013
            If you set the CAT Polling Interval to zero, then the software controls the rig, but it doesn't read anything back form the radio - I think that this is what you want.

            This is how I run WSJT-X with my FT-817.

            See Setup > Configuration > CAT > Polling Interval

            73
            Gary
            G0DNI

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Joe,
            >
            > Running IC-706 MkII here and there is partial success with CAT control.
            > The software control the Rig but fails to read correctly, it normally
            > returns 0.000 000 but sometimes returns the previously set frequency, at
            > which point it locks up (Not Responding).
            >
            > Would it be possible to have the directions for CAT contol individually
            > selectable?, personally I am only interested in the Software contolling
            > the Rig but I can see the merit in being able to read the Rig frequency
            > remotely (for diagnostic purposes if nothing else).
            >
            > Forgive me if I have missed something covered in the new ChangeLog
            > and/or User Guide but I only have a quick read through them and may have
            > missed something. But it is getting late here and I wanted to give you
            > the feedback tonight to make the most of our time difference.
            >

            > 73,
            > Colin
            > M0XSD.
            >
            > On 02/05/2013 19:00, Joe Taylor wrote:
            > >
            > > WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:
            > >
            > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
            > >
            > > Be sure to read the ChangeLog:
            > >
            > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
            > >
            > > as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,
            > >
            > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
            > >
            > > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
            > > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
            > > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
            > >
            > > One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
            > > in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
            > > to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
            > > equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
            > > turning such equipment off.
            > >
            > > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2013
              Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
              response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
              5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
              of changes in the rig's QRG.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 5/2/2013 3:00 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
              > WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:
              >
              > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
              >
              > Be sure to read the ChangeLog:
              >
              > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
              >
              > as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,
              >
              > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
              >
              > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
              > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
              > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
              >
              > One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
              > in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
              > to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
              > equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
              > turning such equipment off.
              >
              > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            • Colin XSD
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                Thanks Gary,

                Yes the 'Polling = Zero' does give me the functionality (or argueably  lack of) I want but that wasn't what I was trying to get across.
                I am using 'Polling = Zero' at the moment since that is all that works with CAT control on (for me anyway, thanks again Joe that gets me what I need).

                Having re-read what I wrote I can see I didn't explain myself very well, trying again:

                When I said ' have the directions for CAT contol individually selectable?' I was thinking from the front panel. But:
                Having looked at it again perhaps just a 'Read Rig Frequency' button near the Frequency Display would suffice when the user has 'Polling = Zero' set in the config, that may also be useful for people who have a long polling time set as well (and want to force a 'Frequency Read').

                If it is any help, I sometimes use 'IC706_BKT Icom 706 Control version 4.13.0' to control my Rig and it reads and writes no trouble but I can't run it with CAT control set on WSJT-X due to port sharing issues (I guess I could set up some sort of port sharing but would rather not go down that route).

                73,
                Colin
                M0XSD.

                On 02/05/2013 22:46, Gary wrote:

                If you set the CAT Polling Interval to zero, then the software controls the rig, but it doesn't read anything back form the radio - I think that this is what you want.

                This is how I run WSJT-X with my FT-817.

                See Setup > Configuration > CAT > Polling Interval

                73
                Gary
                G0DNI

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Colin XSD <m0xsd@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Joe,
                >
                > Running IC-706 MkII here and there is partial success with CAT control.
                > The software control the Rig but fails to read correctly, it normally
                > returns 0.000 000 but sometimes returns the previously set frequency, at
                > which point it locks up (Not Responding).
                >
                > Would it be possible to have the directions for CAT contol individually
                > selectable?, personally I am only interested in the Software contolling
                > the Rig but I can see the merit in being able to read the Rig frequency
                > remotely (for diagnostic purposes if nothing else).
                >
                > Forgive me if I have missed something covered in the new ChangeLog
                > and/or User Guide but I only have a quick read through them and may have
                > missed something. But it is getting late here and I wanted to give you
                > the feedback tonight to make the most of our time difference.
                >

                > 73,
                > Colin
                > M0XSD.
                >
                > On 02/05/2013 19:00, Joe Taylor wrote:
                > >
                > > WSJT-X v0.95 r3251 has been posted on the WSJT web site:
                > >
                > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
                > >
                > > Be sure to read the ChangeLog:
                > >
                > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
                > >
                > > as well as the much-enlarged WSJT-X User's Guide,
                > >
                > > http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide.pdf
                > >
                > > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
                > > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
                > > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
                > >
                > > One additional piece of advice when running WSJT-X in Windows. It's
                > > in the User's Guide, along with lots of other new stuff... But just
                > > to be sure: Connect and turn on your radio and any interface
                > > equipment before starting WSJT-X, and exit the program before
                > > turning such equipment off.
                > >
                > > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

              • Sam Morgan
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                  suggestion,
                  Joe, if you did add this "having it look again" 'Read the Rig's frequency' idea
                  the red square would be the perfect [button] to push to force this action.

                  snip

                  --

                  GB & 73
                  K5OAI
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                    Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge? I haven't tried it myself as it is working OK for me with polling set to 10s which should be enough to avoid incurring the wrath of Laurie.

                    Julian, G4ILO

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

                    > Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
                    > response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
                    > 5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
                    > of changes in the rig's QRG.
                    >
                    > 73,

                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                      On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
                      > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge?

                      Would not even consider it. LP_Bridge (and LPB2) has too many negative
                      side-effects with other software I use. Due to know issues - including
                      blocking K3 meta commands - several developers will not even accept bug
                      reports if LP-Bridge/LPB2 is in use.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                      On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
                      > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge? I haven't tried it myself as it is working OK for me with polling set to 10s which should be enough to avoid incurring the wrath of Laurie.
                      >
                      > Julian, G4ILO
                      >
                      > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Still seeing the occasional "hang" if (when) WSJT-X misses the
                      >> response to a poll with the K3 even with polling set back to 3 to
                      >> 5 seconds. Works fine with polling off ("0") but does not know
                      >> of changes in the rig's QRG.
                      >>
                      >> 73,

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:
                        > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
                        > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
                        > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly

                        CAT control is not working with my TS440SAT. When I test comms the report says comms appear to be working, dial frequency 00000.00

                        Dan
                        KJ6RGX
                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2013
                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

                          > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@> wrote:
                          > > Special note: we believe that r3251 address nearly all of the CAT issues
                          > > experienced by a few users -- those with K3, IC-746, IC-706, in
                          > > particular -- and that useful CAT control is now available for nearly
                          >

                          > CAT control is not working with my TS440SAT. When I test comms the report says comms appear to be working, dial frequency 00000.00
                          >

                          > Dan
                          > KJ6RGX

                          Thanks to Rick (W3BI) for the fix. For anyone with the same problem I had to set

                          Configuration > Setup > Handshake: dropdown > Hardware

                          Thanks Rick.

                          Dan
                          KJ6RGX
                        • Julian, G4ILO
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                            Eterlogic VSPE is the only one I use. I've tried some others such as the free one written by a ham that is made available only to hams but it crashed a lot and I could not create a splitter. I'm still 32bit here so it's a free solution for me.

                            LP Bridge would probably do the job for this application but I haven't tried it as it can create other problems that I'd prefer to avoid. If it works for you, use it.

                            Julian, G4ILO
                            G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
                            http://about.me/julian.moss

                            On 5 May 2013 19:13, Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@...> wrote:
                            is there any of the other virtual serial port pgms that you do like?

                            I just saw Julian mention Eterlogic VSPE in another email
                            I looked and the 64bit version is not free
                            would like to know if it works better than LP-Bridge
                            before I bought it

                            comments?

                            On 5/3/2013 10:41 AM, g4ilo wrote:
                             > Just an idea, but have you tried running it through LP-Bridge?

                            Would not even consider it. LP_Bridge (and LPB2) has too many negative
                            side-effects with other software I use. Due to know issues - including
                            blocking K3 meta commands - several developers will not even accept bug
                            reports if LP-Bridge/LPB2 is in use.

                            73,

                            ... Joe, W4TV

                            --

                            GB & 73
                            K5OAI
                            Sam Morgan

                          • kc2nyu
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                              Julian & Joe- thanks for the last two replies and I believe all is well here with WSTJ-X. I made these changes:
                              - In WSTJ-X, PTT Method to Vox, PTT Port to None
                              - In K3 set Vox Gain to 9
                              - Band Selector works fine
                              - When PTT Test is pressed no response but No Rig Failed to open msg anymore.

                              Results:
                              Program seems to be running normally with all functions working.
                              - block next to band Select is Red
                              - Changes to K3 VFO are reflected in Program albeit with some delay (polling time choice?)
                              - All previously reported issues are fixed.

                              Thanks to all who helped.

                              73 Paul kc2nyu