Re: [wsjtgroup] FSK441 using antenna elevation

    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2013
      Bob --

      You are exactly right: the elevation displayed on the WSJT screen is the
      optimum elevation for meteor scatter signals on the specified path. If
      your antenna directivity is sufficient to make a difference, your number
      of good meteor reflections will be optimized by setting your elevation
      to that number.

      -- Joe, K1JT

      On 5/2/2013 8:24 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
      > Hey WSJT Group:
      >
      > A recent chat-board discussion, when I was running M/S attempt with
      > someone on FSK441, the subject of why I as using elevation on the yagis
      > came up.
      >
      > The path was quite short, circa 400 miles.
      >
      > All others said Elevation is useless.
      >
      > So I was wondering about the line above the "Time", where "Hot A" is
      > seen, has "AZ" AND "EL" ??
      >
      > I've also seen "EL" of 1 degree on a 900 mile path for FSK411 M/s .
      >
      > I just figured that on any given path, that the possibility of catching a
      > meteor trail to the guy is going to be someplace way up in the sky where
      > ionization takes place and that "Way Up" means I have to elevate as the
      > distance closes.
      >
      > So, whether or not we believe that from science, or empirical nature,
      > what was the mindset of placing the Elevation Angle in there in the
      > first place?

    • KD7YZ Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2013
        Howdy Joe :Thursday, May 2, 2013, 9:03:38 AM, I copied:

        > You are exactly right: the elevation displayed on the WSJT screen is the
        > optimum elevation for meteor scatter signals on the specified path. If
        > your antenna directivity is sufficient to make a difference,

        Thanks Professor for solving that one. On 2m I only have 2x15 LFA but
        the elevation seems to help anyway . I figured I need all the help I can
        get and when WSJT9 said Az 25 and EL 16, I did just that. And besides
        that, the ground noise goes away.

        --
        KD7YZ Bob
        http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ