FSK441 using antenna elevation

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2013
      Hey WSJT Group:

      A recent chat-board discussion, when I was running M/S attempt with
      someone on FSK441, the subject of why I as using elevation on the yagis
      came up.

      The path was quite short, circa 400 miles.

      All others said Elevation is useless.

      So I was wondering about the line above the "Time", where "Hot A" is
      seen, has "AZ" AND "EL" ??

      I've also seen "EL" of 1 degree on a 900 mile path for FSK411 M/s .

      I just figured that on any given path, that the possibility of catching a
      meteor trail to the guy is going to be someplace way up in the sky where
      ionization takes place and that "Way Up" means I have to elevate as the
      distance closes.

      So, whether or not we believe that from science, or empirical nature,
      what was the mindset of placing the Elevation Angle in there in the
      first place?

      Bob KD7YZ
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2013
        Bob --

        You are exactly right: the elevation displayed on the WSJT screen is the
        optimum elevation for meteor scatter signals on the specified path. If
        your antenna directivity is sufficient to make a difference, your number
        of good meteor reflections will be optimized by setting your elevation
        to that number.

        -- Joe, K1JT

        On 5/2/2013 8:24 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
        > Hey WSJT Group:
        >
        > A recent chat-board discussion, when I was running M/S attempt with
        > someone on FSK441, the subject of why I as using elevation on the yagis
        > came up.
        >
        > The path was quite short, circa 400 miles.
        >
        > All others said Elevation is useless.
        >
        > So I was wondering about the line above the "Time", where "Hot A" is
        > seen, has "AZ" AND "EL" ??
        >
        > I've also seen "EL" of 1 degree on a 900 mile path for FSK411 M/s .
        >
        > I just figured that on any given path, that the possibility of catching a
        > meteor trail to the guy is going to be someplace way up in the sky where
        > ionization takes place and that "Way Up" means I have to elevate as the
        > distance closes.
        >
        > So, whether or not we believe that from science, or empirical nature,
        > what was the mindset of placing the Elevation Angle in there in the
        > first place?

      • KD7YZ Bob
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2013
          Howdy Joe :Thursday, May 2, 2013, 9:03:38 AM, I copied:

          > You are exactly right: the elevation displayed on the WSJT screen is the
          > optimum elevation for meteor scatter signals on the specified path. If
          > your antenna directivity is sufficient to make a difference,

          Thanks Professor for solving that one. On 2m I only have 2x15 LFA but
          the elevation seems to help anyway . I figured I need all the help I can
          get and when WSJT9 said Az 25 and EL 16, I did just that. And besides
          that, the ground noise goes away.

          --
          KD7YZ Bob
          http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ