WSJT-X v0.95 r3243 with Kenwood TS-590S -- initial report
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Here are some initial
comments on CAT control in r3243 with the Kenwood TS-590S. Running under
1. When the program starts up, you read the current TS-590S *display*
frequency with the "IF" command. This is correct.
2. Having read the frequency, you then discover the current sideband
setting with "MD", and then set the sideband to USB with "MD2" if the
displayed frequency is less than 10 MHz. Again this is correct. And very
nice, thank you!
3. But then it all goes wrong. You subsequently read the frequency with
"FA". This is incorrect, because "FA" only tells you the frequency of
VFO-A. If you happen to set the TS-590S frequency from one of the
radio's memories instead, this is ignored by the program.
You should always use "IF", not "FA", to read the *displayed* frequency
on the radio. Then it doesn't matter how the operator selects the
frequency: it could be VFO-A, or VFO-B, or a memory frequency. (Reading
the frequency with "FA" is a common mistake in some other well-known
programs as well).
4. Also, although you get the sideband setting correct in step 2 above,
you then subsequently never test the sideband again. You should issue
"MD" every time the frequency changes, and "MD2" to set USB where
5. Selectable "TX" and "TX1" keying works fine. This means that people
can use either the USB cable for the audio or a separate interface unit
plugged into the mic socket. Nice.
6.. I have had several fatal crashes, but haven't nailed a reproducible
sequence of events yet. Will report back.