9653Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X / WSJT Feature Request

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Apr 8, 2013
      On 4/8/2013 6:36 PM, ki7mt wrote:
      > I use N1MM Logger for contesting, and one feature I find very useful
      > in digital mode contests (PSK in particular) is the Notch feature
      > within MMVARI. It doesn't fix all the issues in a crowded band, but
      > certainly can make the difference between working a new one, and
      > having to QSY to avoid a strong signal coming from the same direction
      > as the station your trying to work.

      An audio notch in the decoder software is of dubious value - it is
      outside the receiver's AGC loop and occurs after the soundcard ADC
      (as well as and ADC in the transceiver's DSP circuitry). In the
      digital software it can not address issues of sound card, DSP or
      transceiver dynamic range.

      It is far more valuable for the software to function well with a
      audio passband (e.g. 100 or 200 Hz) as WSJT-X does rather than require
      the entire 200-2800 Hz audio passsband as is the case with JT65-HF.
      With the ability to function properly at narrow bandwidth, one can
      narrow filters in the transceiver IF to reject exceptionally strong
      adjacent channel signals - and even prevent them from desensing the
      system.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic