8864Re: Basic USB sound card interface for Windows xp and IC-7700

  • andy_jnt
    Jan 28, 2012
      A cheap and cheerful headphone dongle is good enough. Take the audio from the headphone output(s)

      The only thing you need to be aware of, though, is that the headphone common is often not at DC ground, it sits mid rail (ish) to allow bidirectional drive without hig value capacitors.

      So isolate ground and audio paths with caps. Or better still, use an audio isolating transmformer

      Andy
      www.g4jnt.com

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Tad Danley <tdanley@...> wrote:

      > Hello, I am looking for suggestions on a basic USB interface to use with
      > a Windows xp desktop pc and and IC-7700 to get me on WSJT. The pc will
      > be used solely for WSJT and has a C-media CMI8738 sound card that I
      > added as a second sound card some time ago to avoid potential issues
      > with the factory installed Realtek AC97.
      >
      > My main pc is a Win 7 box that I use with a microKEYERII, N1MM and the
      > DXLab suite of programs for voice and cw contesting and casual
      > operating. Everything works flawlessly for voice and cw, but I have
      > never been able to get WSJT working (can't get RX audio to the sound
      > card / software), in spite of lots of great support and help from W4TV
      > as well as others. So I've decided to leave the Win 7/mKII setup for
      > N1MM and DXLab alone and instead find something basic that will work
      > just for WSJT on the xp box.
      >
      > I know nothing is foolproof (because we fools are quite creative), but
      > if you have suggestions for a basic kit or commercial interface I would
      > greatly appreciate it.
      >
      > Thanks and 73!
      >
      > --
      > Tad Danley, K3TD