      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 9:58 AM
      Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] Where best to monitor ?

      Hi Don. I'd caution that not everyone may feel the same way I do about that.  I have noticed a number of stations who also ask people to keep calling while they are working someone, so it is by no means just me.  But there may be cases where it is not advisable.  For instance if the other caller is your neighbor.  In that case the station  you are trying to work will hear you both at once.  It is geography that makes it so that you both are not heard at the same time.  I have observed up to a second or two delay in hearing the same burn as a station only 40 miles away heard it, but sometimes there was no delay.  If the other caller is over 100 miles away I would think it safe to assume that you would not interfere much.

      The main mechanism by which the called station does not hear multiple callers at the same time is due to the specular nature of the reflections.  Suppose you are calling a station on an east-west path, and another station 100 miles north of you is also calling him.  When you get a burst that the called station can hear, the azimuth angle to the burn for the other caller will be different, putting his reflection south of the called station.  When he gets a burst that will work for him, your reflection would be north of the intended destination.

      In case you were both trying to work a station that is due south, a burst that provides reflection of the correct distance for you, will be at a lower elevation for your neighbor, and so his reflection will overshoot the called station, etc.   (Burns near the horizon provide a longer path.)

      So, using this information it is possible to gauge whether coexistence on the same frequency as another caller is reasonable.

      73, Russ K2TXB