8174Re: [wsjtgroup] Where best to monitor ?

  • Randy Tipton
    Mar 1, 2011

      Random contacts using WSJT & MS are not dead in NA, not yet. There used to me more activity during weekday mornings however daily random contacts are still possible. This morning I worked KC0HLN from his CQ on six meters and heard W9FF calling CQ looking for contacts on six meters.

      One thing that takes away from the random contacts in NA are stations calling CQ on frequencies other than the "Set Call Frequency". Try monitoring the call frequency to work them guys, doesn't work.

      As conditions improve, more activity will be found on 50.260MHz and 144.140MHz. Even with poor conditions contacts are almost "automatic" for distances less than 1000 miles between two 100 watt stations with beam antennas provided they run at least 20 minutes or so on six meters.

      As Bill pointed out, most contacts are via schedules on ping jockey but a modest number of stations still monitor and use the call frequency. As conditions improve, I hope the number of stations using the call frequency increases. Using tagged messages in Version 9 is made easier than any prior version thus working contacts on the call frequency with proper messages is made easier.

      just my thoughts... guys that used to be active on the call frequency, come back home...

      tip
      wa5ufh