8173Re: [wsjtgroup] Where best to monitor ?

  • Paul Whatton
    Mar 1, 2011
      Just in case anyone new to WSJT & MS from Europe gets the wrong idea, I'm pleased to say that this side of the pond random contacts are alive and well even though I've never seen a moose in my street :-) Plenty of urban foxes but so far not a single moose.

      I can't speak for 6m because I'm not currently active but from the UK there is some activity on 144.370 the random 2m calling frequency pretty much every day. During showers 144.370 gets so busy we have to listen split for replies to our CQs and QSY. Plenty of folk make QSOs in Europe without skeds.

      73 Paul G4DCV

      On 28/02/2011 23:37, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:

      Hi Don,

      WSJT modes on VHF are different than digital modes on HF, and different operating approaches are required.

      “Monitoring” for meteor scatter is like watching for a moose to cross the street in front of your house. You can wait a long time to see what you’re looking for.

      TRUTH: Almost all meteor scatter contacts are made by schedule on frequencies other than 50260 or 144240, the calling frequencies. There is little “random” operation. There is some, especially during the weekend morning activity sessions. You might hear some people calling CQ on this frequency IF they are in meteor scatter range from you (250-1,300 miles, depending on the setup on each end), and IF meteor conditions are favorable, and IF your yagi is pointed at the guys who are transmitting, and IF their yagis are pointed at you.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic