7465Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT vs JT65-HF decoding discrepancies

  • hb9ari
    Jul 4 11:22 PM
      Hi Bill,

      Same here! I work with JT65-HF and WSJT7 since a long time side by side
      and with the same audio card of course. What is correctly decoded with
      JT65-HF is always decoded by WSJT; SNR may differ +/- 2 dB max.
      (may be related to audio level adjustment between the 2 programs?)
      Inversely, they are messages correctly decoded by WSJT7 and
      they don't appear in JT65-HF window. It's one of the reasons i continue to
      use exclusively WSJT7 for QSO. In ~ 2years, i think i get only ONE
      false decode with WSJT (or it was a false entry by the TXing station?.)

      In my case, false decoding is often related to in band high noise and
      i don't see any trace at the specified DF. For me, false decoding is a
      "pseudo" call with an unrelated grid locator or, in other cases, some
      text with no signification. The "ghost" phenomena is, in my case, an
      other problem with a correct call, but timing, SNR, DF, etc are partially
      or totally erroneous and are sometimes sended to RB.

      But multi-decoding capability of JT65-HF and RB are very nice features!
      As you, i'm hoping to find them together...For example, clicking on a
      trace in the JT65-HF would activate the WSJT decoding procedure and
      allow, in some "limit" cases, to get a missed decoding !

      My best 73,

      Rudi, HB9ARI

      Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:

      > That's interesting, because WSJT is (by design, due to the "deep
      > search" capabilities in WSJT that JT65-HF has not implemented) more
      > "sensitive" than JT65-HF. And with WSJT, you can try repeatedly to
      > "tease" a decode out of any visible pattern. I would guess it's either
      > a setup or a use problem. I've run JT65-HF and WSJT7 side by side, and
      > I've never seen anything JT65-HF decodes that isn't also decoded (when
      > properly clicked on) by WSJT -- and the opposite is oftentimes true
      > (WSJT can decode stuff JT65-HF can't), as there is no way to tease a
      > decode out of JT65-HF; it either decodes the first time it scans the
      > segment, or it doesn't. No do-overs.
      > OTOH, the JT65-HF user interface and multiple-decode capabilities are
      > WAY COOL. Smile emoticon If only we could put the two together somehow...
      > Bill W5WVO

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic