7426"Hollow Pings"

  • Randy Tipton
    Jun 30, 2010
      It is possible that some of the weak pings with poor decode as we refer to
      them, are caused by the AF tx gain being set too low? As Bruce reminded me
      several who came to wsjt from the psk background are setting their level too
      lite or "no" ALC indication. I don't do much psk but i generally set the
      gain where I only show a flicker of alc on the meter. Thus a reminder that
      west modes are single, sequenntial tones and nothing like psk or some other
      digital modes where intermod distortion is a problem.

      You can turn up the af gain for an ALC indication with no problem. Two
      experienced stations could experiment with this at optimum ms distance.

      tip
      wa5ufh

      A link to "Home Bible Studies" if you are interested ...
      http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Studies/Study_Start.htm