      Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 00:03:11
      Subject: [wsjtgroup] Digest Number 307

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

             1. New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.
                  From: "spider24112" <spider24112@...>
             2. Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.
                  From: "W3EME Brian Manns" <w3eme@...>
             3. Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.
                  From: Terry l Hosack <wa3ltb@...>

      Message: 1
          Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:47:27 -0000
          From: "spider24112" <spider24112@...>
      Subject: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.

      Hello De KB4ZGO:
      I am new to FSK441, I have never heard of working this kind of
      digital modes until today. I have the program installed and have been
      listening on 144.140 USB.

        I know being a novice at this is a real handicap even for an Extra
      Class. I've been a Ham
      for 16 years, but that doesn't help me when I am starting something
      new like this. I hope that in time that I will figure out if I'm
      doing something wrong or not.

      I would like some feed back to what I can expect to hear or see on
      the screen from the computer screen if possible. I have seen alot of
      information and screen shots on the web about the WSJT program.

      Any help for someone just starting out would be nice.I am not real
      sure about the band plan for this digital mode, from what I gather it
      should be between 144.100 Mhz and 144.200 Mhz. I sent Cq for about
      two hours or more on 144.140Mhz without a split hoping to hear and
      see some activity. I did keep my power level down to 5 watts since
      this is a weak signal mode. Like I said I don't know it this the
      right thing to do or not, but they can't bust my chops about being
      QRO. HI HI

      Well Here is the station that I am working with. ICOM 706MK2G ,
      antenna is 5 element 2 meter beam also have a 4 element 6 meter beam
      up about 35 feet, Both beams are for SSB work . You can read more
      about my activities and see my ugly mug at QRZ.com

      Again I hope to see some feed back on helping me make that OH MY
      FIRST CONTACT using this mode as well as JT44.

      Please feel free to email me at spider24112@... and let me know
      what I could be doing right or wrong.

      Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL: 73 DE KB4ZGO/ TONY

      Message: 2
          Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:12:37 -0000
          From: "W3EME Brian Manns" <w3eme@...>
      Subject: Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.

      First, 5 watts will not cut it. You will need at least 100 watts
      for some success....check out the WSJT/ FSK441 site...

                  Good luck, Brian w3eme
[...]

         To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
          Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:30:20 -0500
          From: Terry l Hosack <wa3ltb@...>

      Hi Tony KB4GZO,

            Welcome to WSJT, the first thing you will find out is that you will
      at times need a lot of patience. If you are able to run between 50-100
      watts with your IC706 you should be able to make contacts up to 1000
      miles or so at times. On six meters especially because meteor scatter is
      a little easier on that band, and you have a decend antenna for 6M with
      a 4 ele. beam. On 2M it gets tougher with QRP power and small antennas
      but it is still possible to have some amazing contacts with say 50 watts
      and your 5 Ele. beam so don't be discouraged.
            Assuming your radio, interface and software are working ok, I would
      log onto the ping jockey web site at
      http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk and setup a sked with someone
      on 6 or 2 meters, and it is a good place to ask questions if you need
      answers.
           Also don't expect to just get on the call frequency, call cq and have
      someone answer you, it just doesn't happen very often. Except during
      Saturday Morning random hours when everyone is calling and listening on
      the frequencies, during contest periods and also during special activity
      periods like the Monthly random activity SPRINTS held on the last tuesday
      of every month. The next SPRINT will be on Tuesday December 31, from
      0100-0500 UTC and that will be on 2 Meters so be sure to listen that
      night for activity on 144.140 mhz.

      Good luck Tony, you will be welcomed with open arms, they always like
      to see a new face!

      73's
      Terry
      WA3LTB