7178Arecibo update

    Apr 22, 2010
      Many thanks to all who sent reports of small antennas used to copy
      KP4AO, and QRP systems used to work us.

      In case you haven't seen them, be sure to check out the OK1TEH reception
      of KP4AO in JT65B with a "rubber ducky" antenna at

      http://ok1teh.nagano.cz/emepic/kp4ao_at_ok1teh_eme.png

      and also the AF1T/W1MKY "pickle dipole" at the end of the excellent
      video at

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutOfYLPIMY

      As I mentioned here before, we made recordings of the whole 432 MHz EME
      sub-band for much of the time KP4AO was on the air. With appropriate
      software (e.g., SpectraVue or Linrad) it's possible to "tune the band"
      in these recordings, picking out callsigns. I spent an hour doing this,
      last evening. Here's a sorted list of the CW calls I scribbled down as
      I listened:

      9A5SG 9H1BT AE6EQ DF1HF DF1VB DF3RL DJ1RPL DJ5BV DJ8MS DK2ZF
      DK7AN DK9TF DL3HXS DL5RDI DL6SH DL7FF E73O F2CT F5SE/P F6BCU
      G3LQR HB9BZA IK1HWG IK6EIW K1DS K1DY K2TXB K4RTS K6AAW K6TSK
      K7NT K7XC K7XQ KB8U KE7L KH7Y KL7HFQ LA0BY LU1C N2NQI N4SCS
      N8OL NA6MF OH3HLJ OH6NVQ OK1VVT OK1YK OK2GMO OK2UYZ OM5CM
      ON5OF PA2CHR PA3DOL RW6AG SF6X SM7GEP SP3YDE SP6ITF UR6IWZ
      UT5CW UT5JCW VE2JWH W1FKF W1MKY W2CNS W3EP W3KWH W3SZ W4DEX
      W7CS W7IY WA2ODO WA3DRC WA3XX WA9KRT WB2SIH WB6JZY WW1M YL2HA
      YL2OK YT2RA

      No double-checking has been done, and almost surely there are mistakes
      or typos in this hastily-assembled list. But you get the idea...

      I probably will not have time to do more of this in the next week or so.
      If anyone else is interested in listening to our recordings, perhaps
      to see if your signal is there, let me know and I will post them for
      public access. Fair warning: the files are *big*, about 1 GB each. And
      you'll need to know how (or learn how) to use SpectraVue, Linrad, or
      another such program.