6846RE: [wsjtgroup] Working WSJT on HF

  • K. D. Sarchet
    Jan 27 11:44 AM

      Thanks Chris, very timely for all of the newbies I’ve seen of late.

      Just to reiterate a point and simplify the order of messages to send…

      If you called CQ, then use the even numbered messages. i.e. TX6 – TX2 – TX4

      If you are answering a CQ, use the odd numbered messages in order. i.e. TX1 – TX3 – TX5

      Also, do NOT send a message unless you have received the previous numbered message. i.e. don’t send TX3 unless you have received TX2.

      I have some very important items to add to what Chris mentioned:

      Use the Auto button.  Don’t transmit manually.

      Chris mention setting TxDF the same as the station you are working.  To do this, click on the signal and activate the TxDF= button. (it will turn red)

      Try not to call CQ on TxDF=0.  This isn’t a hard and fast rule to follow, but it helps everyone.  Every new guy on the block doesn’t know how to set their TxDF for a while.  So what happens is that the new JT65A operators send CQ, and it is not uncommon to see many signals within 20Hz of each other centered right around TxDF=0.

      In working FSK441, I was once told not to use shorthand messages.  For that reason, I do not, and at this moment refuse to use shorthand.  I encourage others to follow suit.

      And now for my pet peeve!  The first 2 letters of WSJT (WS) stand for ‘Weak Signal’.  You do NOT need to use 200 Watts and a 5 element yagi to work the world.  I was introduced to terrestrial JT65 during the recent solar cycle low.  In the first week that I was on the mode, I worked all continents using 5 watts and a quarter wave vertical without radials.  Please examine your signal reports, and if you find you are getting signal reports of -10 or better for DX stations, lower your power!  WSJT easily decodes signals to about -25.  The rule of thumb is that if you cut your power in half, that is a 3 dB loss(-3 dB).  Since I figured this out, I rarely use more than 20 Watts, and still work the world on a daily basis.

      Hope to work you soon on JT65A

      73 de WY5R – KD