6283Re: [wsjtgroup] Tx1 ... Why add to it?

  • Randy Tipton
    Aug 8, 2009
      When there is any douby it is best to refer back to the SOP. The SOP has
      been around
      a long time for Meteor Scatter operators. I feel we should all adhere not
      only to the SOP
      but also the operating suggestions given at the top of the PJ page. These
      page instructions
      are actually well thought out and enhance the pj process for all of us. (The
      PJ operating
      instructions was not part of this thed so just a side thought)

      One thing I believe should be changed is the Link found at the top of
      PJ page to the SOP. Contacts today are using FSK or JT6M modes and the link
      should be
      changed to ... http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/papers/fsk-sop.html If others
      agree, maybe Chris can make that change.

      Several years ago we simplified the SOP and several stations in the group
      assisted ...
      it is posted here... http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Misc/ShortSOP.htm The intent
      was not to
      change a single element but to simplify it for newbie's.

      When you read the SOP there are a few exceptions for changing messages. They
      are related to message Tx2 and CQ. This relates to some of the discussion on
      going.

      Clearly the Grid in the CQ is for portable / MM stations.
      The Grid square is to be used as reports in contests.
      Tx2 Msg may be changed to shorten the msg length for low power stations.
      Both stations receive the "Roger" and it is suggested 'to be sure' by
      receiving it twice!

      The SOP recommendation for Low Power Stations copied...
      "Note on WSJT's FSK441 North American reporting: The #2 Standard Text Box
      defaults to "Firstcall report Secondcall report report" (e.g., K1JT 26 W8WN
      2626). The reason for this format is to allow monitoring stations to tell
      which station they're hearing. Since the pair of calls is the longest string
      of text to exchange, lower-power stations may find it advantageous to change
      this to "Firstcall report Secondcall report" or even "Firstcall Secondcall
      report."

      This change is definitely recommended for contests when the Grid Square is
      required for the report."

      (Note: I take advantage of the above, it has been helpful I believe
      especially on two meters.)

      Copied from the SOP:
      "Other sometimes-used exchanges:
      Burst length "S" report. Standard in North America since the 1950's for slow
      CW and later for SSB.
      Grid square. Required for most contests. Sometimes used by portable or /MM
      stations; however, on FSK441, it is becomming common for the portable or /MM
      station to include their current grid in the CQ . The grid square normally
      should not be used on HSMS for the report except for contests."

      Concerning sending the Grid in a CQ the SOP States...
      "CQ with GRID SQUARE - It is now common for /MM, /M, and portable stations
      (who may change locations) to include their Grid Square in the CQ. This
      enables the receiving stations to know the location of the portable/mobile
      station, and whether or not they need that particular grid square. Thus,
      W1LP/MM might call "CQ W1LP EL62". This is not recommended for fixed
      stations - it adds unnecessary information to the CQ, as the locations of
      most fixed stations are usually already known."

      Concerning the receipt of two "Rogers"
      Copied from the SOP:
      "When both get a pair of Rogers (you usually need at least two to be
      sure!), the QSO is officially complete. However, the other station will not
      know this. So it is customary to then send "73" to let the other station
      know that it's complete, even though the "73" is not required for a complete
      QSO."

      The Required Protocol is:
      REQUIREMENTS FOR A QSO:
      The same as for any mode of operation or propagation - an exchange of both
      call signs, an exchange of some type of information or report, and an
      exchange of confirmation of the same.
      When a station copies both calls, he sends calls and report.
      If he gets both calls and a report, he sends his report & Roger.
      If he gets report and Roger, he sends Rogers.