5613*Attention* - Yahoo Web Tracking...

  • Nige
    Jan 1, 2009
      This has just been brought to my attention; you may not be concerned
      but if you value your privacy then it has just been eroded a little
      further...

      73 and HNY all.

      Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using
      "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to
      cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you
      visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
      privacy statement at http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will
      see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

      Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left
      find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

      In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
      that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click
      the opt-out button on the next page.

      Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to
      opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That
      means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

      Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but
      I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all
      users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

      Related article:
      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic