      From: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of k4ymq
      Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:31 PM
      To: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [wsjtgroup] Re: Clock sync

      D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
      run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
      running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
      updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
      recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
      will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
      having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
      Ira K4YMQ
      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

      > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
      updated
      > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
      >
      > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
      operating
      > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
      time.
      > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
      clock
      > probably not a function of the operating system???
      >
      > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
      Vista, see
      > this link...
      > http://www.howtogee k.com/howto/ windows-vista/ dealing-with- windows-
      vista-time-sync- problems/

      > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
      setting the
      > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
      adjust as
      > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
      >
      > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
      better!

      > Tip
      > WA5UFH

      RUNNING,
      > >> then there are probably some processes you have invoked that
      are
      > >> slowing down the clock.
      > >> It could be that your CPU is loaded up to the gills much of
      the time
      > >> by all the stuff you are running simultaneously. If that's
      the
      > >> problem, you need to unburden it by closing any unnecessary
      > >> apps/processes/ services. Or maybe it's just time to upgrade
      your
      > >> computer to something a lot faster and more capable,
      something that
      > >> can keep up with all the stuff you're wanting it to do at
      the same
      > >> time. :-)
      > >>
      > >> There is actually a fair amount of stuff available online
      about
      > >> this. Google "RTC losing time" or similar, and do some
      research.

      > >> Bill W5VWO

      Is this
      > >> more than normal for a PC?
      > >>
      > >> I have Dimension 4 correcting the time every 2 minutes
      but this
      > >> seems like an unnecessary load on the time server. Is
      there a
      > >> way to reduce the clock error? Is there a program that
      can
      > >> apply a correction factor locally and reduce the need
      check the
      > >> time server?
      > >>
      > >> Mike kc9doa

      > > Activity Periods http://www.ykc. com/wa5ufh/
      > > NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc. com/wa5ufh/ Rally/NAHSMS. htm
      > > Logging Indicator/Activity
      > > :http://baseportal. com/cgi-bin/ baseportal. pl?
      htx=/randy_tipton/ Test%20(Activity %20Database) /Meteor_Scatter_ Reports

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic