5145Re: [wsjtgroup] Clock sync

  • Jonathan L. Rosner
    Sep 2, 2008
      On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Mike Miller wrote:

      > My computer's clock loses about .175 seconds per minute. Is this more
      > than normal for a PC?
      > I have Dimension 4 correcting the time every 2 minutes but this seems
      > like an unnecessary load on the time server. Is there a way to reduce
      > the clock error? Is there a program that can apply a correction factor
      > locally and reduce the need check the time server?
      > Mike kc9doa

      Even Dimension 4 doesn't necessarily help. I was syncing every 2 minutes
      with Dimension 4 as well. I was using a source at Cornell and it was
      pointed out to me that I was off by a whole 30 seconds! As soon as I
      changed the source, everything was OK. Now I check every once in a while
      with WWV. I can't answer your question about improving the local
      accuracy, however. I think it is a rare PC that keeps good time locally.

      Jon WO9S
      Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
      Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago Fax: 773-702-8038
      5640 S. Ellis Avenue rosner@...
      Chicago, IL 60637 USA or rosner@...
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic